Stanton

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Stanton

Post by j-mac31 »

Did he just have a bad game this week, or does he struggle when we don't have everything going for us in the middle?
Big drop off from the Hawks game to this week

One week the midfield is on fire and the middle of the ground is wide open and he gets 35-odd possessions, the next week the middle is very cramped and he can't get 15.

There was one play where he got a handball under a bit of pressure, but he had enough time to grab it but he fumbled it away. While we f***** up a lot of handballs, this was the only one I noticed where a player looked to be pressured off it.

So was he worried out of the game, or just played badly?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
gringo
Club Captain

Re: Stanton

Post by gringo »

Stanton can often struggle under a tight tag and against good teams. I didn't think he was too bad.

I would have looked at giving him a defensive assignment on a back flank as a way of breaking the tag and giving him the chance to create some run.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

He cant get 28 possessions every week I suppose. He is a running type player so the wide open spaces of the MCG would definitley suit his game.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Stanton did OK in a close checking game that tested every player from both sides - the fact he was given a close tag (as was Watson) indicates the respect the opposition has for him.

While Watson broke his tag (the tag would have had to be able to dig 12 inches into the ground to stop him getting the ground balls), Stants couldn't quite do it.

While the top teams have a couple of additional skilled midfielders to step up to take over, or run a defensive zone to protect the No 1 midfielder (eg Carlton) - our "second string" midfielders are still developing Dyson and Hocking are stepping up and while Zacha is developing well - he is a first year with a body to fill! Winder and hopefully Prismall give the extra boost.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Clint Jones is turning into a pretty handy tagger and simply did the job on Stants on the weekend.

When one player is tagged though... others are able to stand up now. Watson, Dyson, Hocking, Lovett, Dempsey and co played good games.
Scott
On the Rookie List

Post by Scott »

Is it just me or does Stanton look like he's limping when he chasing an opponent? When we have the ball he seems to break the speed of sound, but when he's chasing or running to cover space seems to lack the same......eagerness maybe?
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Scott - brilliant observation.

There was a moment in the Collingwood game where he was flat out pretending to chase Davis in the last quarter and carrying a slight limp. There was another player chasing (Lonergan? Can't remember) who started 15m behind and passed him after about 50m. I don't know if he was completely buggered, injured or just pretending to limp but it looked woeful and he had no problems running five minutes later when we had the ball.

He also gives up on chases far too early when his man is nearing the boundary. Whereas Davey would chase a bloke into row 5 Stanton gives up as soon as they look like going over and sometimes it has cost us.

Great player, becoming elite by foot, gets loads of the ball, still developing, etc. but he's pretty f****** useless unless he has the ball or is presenting to receive the ball. Never, ever, ever lays a shepherd, either.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

That's always been my major criticism off him – no interest when he doesn't have the ball. However, he has lifted his game in this regard, such that now he lays the occasional tackle. Still yet to lay a shepard, although this is an area that needs some serious work across the board at the Don.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Stanton spent quite a bit of time in the forward line, with his tag close behind. He wasn't in the midfield for his usual time.
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

He certainly lacks defensive pressure and a bit of hardness. In this age of football that is not a death sentence. It doesn't make him soft but if we want to have an elite midfield he has to work on that aspect of his game.
chickster
On the Rookie List

Post by chickster »

gringo wrote:Stanton can often struggle under a tight tag and against good teams. I didn't think he was too bad.

I would have looked at giving him a defensive assignment on a back flank as a way of breaking the tag and giving him the chance to create some run.
WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE REAL GRINGO?!?!?!?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Scott wrote:Is it just me or does Stanton look like he's limping when he chasing an opponent? When we have the ball he seems to break the speed of sound, but when he's chasing or running to cover space seems to lack the same......eagerness maybe?
I think we've been over this a gazillion times. Stanton doesn't chase. Watson doesn't chase. Stanton provides plenty of run & carry with good delivery + a goal a game. Watson provides an amazing amount of contested possessions to advantage. That's what they do best. We have others who provide the pace and chase.

What he needs to do is work harder in close (not let an opponent brush past him). And I think he has improved in that area this year.
Essendunny
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Who doesn't run faster when they have the ball!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

Most blokes can out run their opponent when they have the ball but can not catch him when he has it!
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Stanton actually got a bit dirty that game. He was just pissed at the tag and nothing was going his way. I dont know if anyone watched the FOX replay, but he was doing things I havent really seen him do. Like after laying a tackle on luke ball a free was paid against him and he was filthy and pushed/shoved Ball while he was still down.

I liked it. He needs to get more of this about him.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Western Red wrote:Who doesn't run faster when they have the ball!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:
haha true that!!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

DC wrote:Stanton actually got a bit dirty that game. He was just pissed at the tag and nothing was going his way. I dont know if anyone watched the FOX replay, but he was doing things I havent really seen him do. Like after laying a tackle on luke ball a free was paid against him and he was filthy and pushed/shoved Ball while he was still down.

I noticed that at the game. Was good to see. Ball didn't know what hit him... Stupid decision. Should have been holding the er... ball...

:-"
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

DC wrote:Stanton actually got a bit dirty that game. He was just pissed at the tag and nothing was going his way. I dont know if anyone watched the FOX replay, but he was doing things I havent really seen him do. Like after laying a tackle on luke ball a free was paid against him and he was filthy and pushed/shoved Ball while he was still down.

Yes yes!! I saw this. I nearly fell off the couch. It was like "farken this bloke...thinks he's farken king kong bundy". Good on him.
Scott
On the Rookie List

Post by Scott »

BenDoolan wrote:
Scott wrote:Is it just me or does Stanton look like he's limping when he chasing an opponent? When we have the ball he seems to break the speed of sound, but when he's chasing or running to cover space seems to lack the same......eagerness maybe?
I think we've been over this a gazillion times. Stanton doesn't chase. Watson doesn't chase. Stanton provides plenty of run & carry with good delivery + a goal a game. Watson provides an amazing amount of contested possessions to advantage. That's what they do best. We have others who provide the pace and chase.

What he needs to do is work harder in close (not let an opponent brush past him). And I think he has improved in that area this year.
BD are you saying they don't have too?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Scott wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

I'm saying they can't. Watson will never catch anyone as he is simply too slow. Stanton spends all his energy running with the ball or running to position from deep back pocket to deep forward pocket - he's the link man. Still, both players are required to bring down an opponent in close proximity i.e tackle in close or provide a block / shepherd. I believe they do these things (Watson is coming 3rd in the tackle count and Stanton 6th). But I doubt we will ever see these 2 guys sprinting after an opponent who is streaming down the field.
Essendunny
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:
Scott wrote:
BenDoolan wrote: I think we've been over this a gazillion times. Stanton doesn't chase. Watson doesn't chase. Stanton provides plenty of run & carry with good delivery + a goal a game. Watson provides an amazing amount of contested possessions to advantage. That's what they do best. We have others who provide the pace and chase.

I'm saying they can't. Watson will never catch anyone as he is simply too slow. Stanton spends all his energy running with the ball or running to position from deep back pocket to deep forward pocket - he's the link man. Still, both players are required to bring down an opponent in close proximity i.e tackle in close or provide a block / shepherd. I believe they do these things (Watson is coming 3rd in the tackle count and Stanton 6th). But I doubt we will ever see these 2 guys sprinting after an opponent who is streaming down the field.
Interesting stats BD and shows that both players are doing more than their share of tackling...maybe the question to be asked is why other players aren't tackling as much :shock:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012