Hall of Fame Salmon????

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Hall of Fame Salmon????

Post by BERT »

7 news has hinted that Paul Salmon is going to be inducted into the HOF tonight
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: Hall of Fame Salmon????

Post by swoodley »

There was a thread on BB today about this topic....the OP deleted his post but by then the cat was out of the bag.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

The Fish before Harry Madden or Dermie? No way!?!?!?!

Me thinks Sheedy shold be eligible this year

BTW - how come Leigh Matthews can make it as a legend (not denying this) when the rules state to even make it as a player you have to have been out of the game for a minimum of 12 months??? I don't recall Lethal being out at all as a player, assistant coach and coach ???

Just hope that there isn't an obscure interstate player nominated just to show this is a national geme .... it has been national for nearly 20 years.

Cheers - sti
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

So as not to spoil the surprise for anyone watching on tv, here's the list apparently.

Mark Bickley
Peter Carey
Ken Hands
Chris Langford
Guy McKenna
Bill Morris
Ross Oakley
Paul Salmon

Few interesting choices in there.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

OK, I'll own up. I had absolutely no ******* idea who Bill Morris was. I had to look him up. I've never heard about him, nor have I heard any past footy identity speak about him.

:oops:
Essendunny
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

sti dreams wrote:The Fish before Harry Madden or Dermie? No way!?!?!?!

BTW - how come Leigh Matthews can make it as a legend (not denying this) when the rules state to even make it as a player you have to have been out of the game for a minimum of 12 months??? I don't recall Lethal being out at all as a player, assistant coach and coach ???

Just hope that there isn't an obscure interstate player nominated just to show this is a national geme .... it has been national for nearly 20 years.

Cheers - sti
Matthews has been out of the game for 24 years - as a player. This is what his legendary status is based upon - I doubt that there could be anyone who disagrees with this.

He has not earned any accolades as a coach - yet having achieved 4 premierships - one with a team that has only had the one in over 50 years and 3 in a row with the other - he probably deserves legendary status as a coach as well.

The only comparison I can think of would be Ron Barrassi - but as the award came in after he finished as both player and coach then it's academic. (OOPS - King Richard as well :shock: ).

Kevin Sheedy will eventually be inducted (I think you need to be out of the game for 5 years) and he'll come in as both player and coach.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

For your info BD.

Bill Morris played 140 games for Richmond. Won the 1948 Brownlow and came 3rd in 1946 and again in 1950. So obviously could play a bit ; so fair enough selection I reckon.

Tragically, took his own life in 1960 aged only 38.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

pevfan wrote:For your info BD.

Bill Morris played 140 games for Richmond. Won the 1948 Brownlow and came 3rd in 1946 and again in 1950. So obviously could play a bit ; so fair enough selection I reckon.

Not really questioning his legitimacy on getting it.....I'm more embarrassed for myself not knowing him. I tend to pride myself on footy and cricket trivia, and this just proves I know frack all when it come to the crunch.
Essendunny
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Don't be too hard on yourself BD. Just remember, you're an explosion waiting to happen. :wink:
Scott
On the Rookie List

Post by Scott »

pevfan wrote:For your info BD.

Thats terrible, so young.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

hop wrote:
sti dreams wrote:The Fish before Harry Madden or Dermie? No way!?!?!?!

Cheers - sti
Matthews has been out of the game for 24 years - as a player. This is what his legendary status is based upon - I doubt that there could be anyone who disagrees with this.

He has not earned any accolades as a coach - yet having achieved 4 premierships - one with a team that has only had the one in over 50 years and 3 in a row with the other - he probably deserves legendary status as a coach as well.

The only comparison I can think of would be Ron Barrassi - but as the award came in after he finished as both player and coach then it's academic. (OOPS - King Richard as well :shock: ).

Kevin Sheedy will eventually be inducted (I think you need to be out of the game for 5 years) and he'll come in as both player and coach.
Not disputing Lethal as a Legend - either as a player or as a coach. But I thought you had to be out of the game as both a player or as a coach for a set period to make the hall of fame. For example, Voss would have to wait until the 4 or 5 years after he finishes coaching to qualify for the HOF. I just didn't think he qualified.

In terms of HOF for Sheedy - an argument could be made for his playing days (come on ... who would deny the inventor of the rocket handball??? :D ). But as a package - you are correct - he will evenually make legend.

Anticipate a number of Essendon HOFs in the next 10-15 years - Lloyd, Fletch (umm but he may still be playing then), Hirdy, Wanganeen, and my smokey Rama

Cheers - sti
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

sti dreams wrote: Kevin Sheedy will eventually be inducted (I think you need to be out of the game for 5 years) and he'll come in as both player and coach.
Not disputing Lethal as a Legend - either as a player or as a coach. But I thought you had to be out of the game as both a player or as a coach for a set period to make the hall of fame. For example, Voss would have to wait until the 4 or 5 years after he finishes coaching to qualify for the HOF. I just didn't think he qualified.[/quote]

I don't think that is the case, otherwise Guy McKenna wouldn't be in.