Leroy "butterfingers" Jetta

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Leroy "butterfingers" Jetta

Post by DC »

whats up with this guy?

at least twice a game he fumbles and spills sitters. He does it all the time. Its not a one off, its a disturbing pattern. He needs to sort this shit out quick. He couldnt pick that ball up right near goal late in the collingwood game either...just fumbled the shit. The list goes on...same shit every game.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Leroy "butterfingers" Jetta

Post by BenDoolan »

DC wrote:whats up with this guy?

at least twice a game he fumbles and spills sitters. He does it all the time. Its not a one off, its a disturbing pattern. He needs to sort this shit out quick. He couldnt pick that ball up right near goal late in the collingwood game either...just fumbled the shit. The list goes on...same shit every game.

Disappointingly gone backwards in my book.
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Filthy wrote:Dropping that chest mark in the clear in the last quarter and then giving away a free #-o [-X :(

Back to Bendigo.
He needs a lot of work does Leroy.

I just want to know whatever happened to the Jetta that debuted v Adelaide in 2007 where he was bumped to the ground, bounced up with ball in hand, dodged and weaved and kicked a ripping goal?
Essendunny
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

far from being in our best 22 at the moment....
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

With players to come back this week he's in trouble. We can't have passengers against Geelong.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Thought he was a mixture of the sublime and the ridiculous. Set his teammates up well for a number of goals and then also made some fairly silly mistakes. Tackling and defensive intensity was excellent. Just confidence.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

andrewb wrote:Thought he was a mixture of the sublime and the ridiculous. Set his teammates up well for a number of goals and then also made some fairly silly mistakes. Tackling and defensive intensity was excellent. Just confidence.
I agree, Leroy is a player that for him, its definetly all between the ears.

Showed some moments of brilliance. he needs some faith put in to him. make him a project Knighta.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Yep. Has really struggled for touch for a while now. Not much bloody use when you're a small forward and you have to double and triple grab all the time. I think it's a mental thing as he was very clean in the U/18s and in his debut season.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

His first half i thought was great, set up many goals and gave us a spark in the forward line... after that im afraid he went missing again and certainly wont play next week with McVeigh and Skippy almost certain to return.

He has a lot of improvement to do Leroy... its ok to kick 4 goals and play well for Bendigo but you have to continue that form in the seniors to be guarenteed a spot each week.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Needs to stop staging for free kicks and attack the ball harder... I'm wondering if he's a bit soft? Although he did do a couple of good things, it's just the bad things stand out more. Hates running hard too... Hopefully he can turn it around.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Doctor Fish wrote:Needs to stop staging for free kicks and attack the ball harder... I'm wondering if he's a bit soft? Although he did do a couple of good things, it's just the bad things stand out more. Hates running hard too... Hopefully he can turn it around.
I noticed that... he didint have the speed that he had early in his career and his Rich opponent caught up to him everytime.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Its performance anxiety - he is clearly over thinking the whole game at the moment and his natural skills have deserted him.

Its like a golfer with the yips.

Leroy is solid gold, dont worry about that. He needs time mto develop his confidence at the senior level. I would definitely NOT drop him. Maybe put him in the thick of the action during the centre square bounce where he wont have time to "think" about what he is doing. Its all first touch, instinctive stuff when you are in the heart of a centre square pack
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Has to go back to Bendigo & play at least 3-4 games of regularily getting into the best players & kicking goals before he is considered for the seniors.

Won't keep out McVeigh, Prismall, Welsh, Reimers etc when they get fit.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Windy_Hill wrote:Its performance anxiety - he is clearly over thinking the whole game at the moment and his natural skills have deserted him.

Its like a golfer with the yips.

Leroy is solid gold, dont worry about that. He needs time mto develop his confidence at the senior level. I would definitely NOT drop him. Maybe put him in the thick of the action during the centre square bounce where he wont have time to "think" about what he is doing. Its all first touch, instinctive stuff when you are in the heart of a centre square pack
This would be close to my view.

He needs to realign his sequencing of events.

I see some of the "Mark Fraser's" in him. His mind is forward of the ball. He has the next option in line, before he gets the ball firmly in hand. Mark Fraser did that all the time and it's highlighted by fumbles.

When he does firmly get the ball, he is another that also gets flummaxed by options. McPhee is another example as is Watson occasionally. When faced with options Leroy tends towards the team option, but sometimes he should just have a ping himself.
Ronny Rotten wrote:Won't keep out McVeigh, Prismall, Welsh, Reimers etc when they get fit.
Leroy appears best when he runs hard, chases and tackles and takes his first option. I like him, but he's a work in progress.
He will be one that makes way for the above, along with Hocking and NLM. Shame for Hocking as he has been good.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

F111 wrote:
Leroy appears best when he runs hard, chases and tackles and takes his first option. I like him, but he's a work in progress.
He will be one that makes way for the above, along with Hocking and NLM. Shame for Hocking as he has been good.
I was just thinking the same thing. Watching him, I was thinking, "How can this boy be in our best 22?" then he'd chase, tackle, apply pressure, win a free or cause a turnover that would result in a shot at goal, prevent Richmond running away with an easy shot, etc. The defensive side of his game is pretty good at the moment but his hands are just ridiculously poor for someone with his obvious natural talent and skill. It seems to be happeneing every week.

How does one address it? Maybe the centre square suggestion is a good option. Get his hands on the ball, instinctively give it off and build his confidence with a few "good" touches rather than the sprint on the lead, out in the open uncontested "mark" that he puts down and instead of having a shot on goal, we lose possession and the ball rebounds. That's got to put a dent in your on-field ego.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

The problem is definitely in his head and not in his hands. After he dropped that sitter and gave away the free kick, he threw his head back in disgust and then dropped his head in shame while the ball travelled towards Richmond's goal. These fumbles are really getting to him and he needs to clear his head. It's something that has crept into his game and it must be sorted out psychologically.
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

We have already seen what he has, so I agree with comments above that it is a confidence thing. He probably took some flack for dishing off passes in the forward line rather than going for goal, so this time he runs the extra yard, goes for goal and stuffs it up.

All part of the learning curve. No probs with his tackling and his passing into the forward line is generally good. Work n progress which now may be a bit stilted with so many good players now available.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark