TOP 4

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
auditor
High Draft Pick

TOP 4

Post by auditor »

I know it's still early but .......yeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaa
It just fell out of the sky
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: TOP 4

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

wow.... who would have thought that by round 9 we would be in the top 8 let alone the top 4!!!!

A long way to go of course but its enough to get excited about. I really hope we push the Cats next week.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I was just talking to a friend about this, not being sure of how the Hawks were going on percentage - great result for the team and frankly, we should have won at least one more game.

Will be tough to hold this position for the remainder of the year - we do have a very tough draw (another thing I hate about the AFL is the riduculous situation with the inequity in fixturing!!!)

I believe 10-11 wins should be sufficient to make the finals this year given the eveness of the competition from 3rd - 12th on the ladder. That means we need to win 5-6 from the next 14 games and not drop too much percentage. I reckon thats pretty reasonable given the way we have been playing. Mind you we still need to play the Bulldogs, Geelong, St Kilda and Hawthorn as well as road trips to Freo and Sydney. It will be touch and go but I reckon we are on our way.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Pretty good effort considering the senior players we've had out. That's a great effort really. Won't last long though (top 4 placing). Yes we have been inconsistent, but so have so many other teams - proven by the fact that there is only one game separating 3rd & 12th position. Gonna be a very tight final 8 come R22.....
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

We won't finish top 4 but it is nice to be there at the moment. Playing finals is a real possibility now.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

robrulz5 wrote:We won't finish top 4 but it is nice to be there at the moment. Playing finals is a real possibility now.
Who knows... stranger things have happened. At least we do know that we are a definate chance of finals. Of course there is still a lot of work to be done before we even start thinking about September!!
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Hmm ... Beware Hubris!!!

Done OK so far - but IMO some of the kids were flagging last night and we wil replace them with expreienced players coming off limited pre-seasons and/or long term injuries.

Chance to make the 8 .. but don't antipate top 4.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
damo22
Top Up Player

Post by damo22 »

rd 18: west coast @ subi
rd 19: brisbane @ MCG
rd 20: stkilda @ etihad
rd 21: freo @ subi
rd 22: hawks @ MCG

not to mention sydney in sydney rd 15 and doggies the week after

the AFL couldn't have made it much harder for us with our run home, so even though we are 5-4 now it would be a pretty good effort to make finals with that fixture

whats annoying is that collingwood travel out of melbourne only once in their last 10 games :x what a crock of shit
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

This team will undergo another transformation in the coming month. Some of the successful youngsters will make way for the experienced bunch returning from injury.
I think the returns should all stay in Bendigo until they get their form and match fitness, instead of the early return. McVeigh came back too early and it has cost him. I expect Lucas is ready to return, but I'd give Prismall plenty more time as the need isn't that high atm. Our mids are doing well, and we have the luxury of preparing him more deliberately. I can see him debuting v the dees.
Next week will be interesting, but the 4 games after that are all winnable.
Crows/Dees/scum/filth, then Dogs/tiggers
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

We can finish top 4. Apart from Geelong and the Aints we are in that next bracket of clubs.

One thing we have is a never say die attitude. We dont know how to give up.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

damo22 wrote: rd 18: west coast @ subi
rd 19: brisbane @ MCG
rd 20: stkilda @ etihad
rd 21: freo @ subi
rd 22: hawks @ MCG

not to mention sydney in sydney rd 15 and doggies the week after

the AFL couldn't have made it much harder for us with our run home, so even though we are 5-4 now it would be a pretty good effort to make finals with that fixture

whats annoying is that collingwood travel out of melbourne only once in their last 10 games :x what a crock of shit
Tough, but not impossible - should be aiming for 3/5 from that lot which means we need to win 3 from our next 9. Alternatively we need 4 from our next 9 games and then only need to win 2 from this tough final 5 games

I'd say we are well placed to win 6 more games for the season.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Picked up the paper this morning and saw the ladder. Top 4 FFS!!!

I know, don't get carried away, but sh#t, what a great effort. Full credit to Knights for perservering with a game plan that occassionally drives you to drink (thankfully!) but as several commentators are now stating, we are the most exciting team in the comp. to watch.

The great thing about ladder position is that it earns you respect. Teams will now look upon Essendon games as possible losses and that creeping doubt starts to sneak into oppostion player's minds. All this works in our favour.

What is also great is that as the year progresses, we have an abundance of senior, seasoned players to help steer the kids if we start to wobble. If we are fortunate enough to play finals footy, we should, by September, have a great mix of youth and experience.

Of course, all of this can change in the space of a fortnight, but as it stands at present, enjoy the ride. You have to admit, it is bloody exciting!!!.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Carlton: 9th vingertje
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

rockhole wrote: The great thing about ladder position is that it earns you respect. Teams will now look upon Essendon games as possible losses and that creeping doubt starts to sneak into oppostion player's minds. All this works in our favour.
Interesting theory - personally I would have thought the opposite would occur, that oppositon teams would be steeling themselves against a strong and threatening side.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

W L W L W L W - The past seven games... Hey! I'm starting to notice a pattern here...

:-k
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Windy_Hill wrote:
rockhole wrote: The great thing about ladder position is that it earns you respect. Teams will now look upon Essendon games as possible losses and that creeping doubt starts to sneak into oppostion player's minds. All this works in our favour.
Interesting theory - personally I would have thought the opposite would occur, that oppositon teams would be steeling themselves against a strong and threatening side.
That's what I meant. just my clumsy English!!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark