McVeigh

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

McVeigh

Post by andrewb »

Clearly not ready for the midfield based on his performance for Bendigo... BUT:

If Dempsey is out with that ankle, could we bring McVeigh in to play on Stevie J? He smashed Brad Johnson when was in his prime and I think he's the right man the job.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: McVeigh

Post by swoodley »

andrewb wrote:Clearly not ready for the midfield based on his performance for Bendigo... BUT:

If Dempsey is out with that ankle, could we bring McVeigh in to play on Stevie J? He smashed Brad Johnson when was in his prime and I think he's the right man the job.
Would he have the engine to run with Johnson after missing so much footy?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Nah i think McVeigh needs some more game time for Bendigo. I definately wouldnt put him on Stevie Johnson the way he is going at the moment.

Maybe McPhee may have to play on him instead.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

McVeigh played for Bendigo to get a game under his belt. His base fitness should be fine - they were just easing him in. He's such a competitive bastard that providing his ankle is ok structurally I think he's the best option we've got. I wouldn't throw him into the midfield against Geelong but he's played a lot of footy in the backline and he's definitely got the fitness base to do the job.

The other benefit is that he would force SJ to be accountable. Spike can go forward and kick goals and he's the last bloke on our team that geelong would want with the ball in his hands on the wing / half forward.

My changes for Geelong:

Lovett-Murray (assuming suspended) > Skipworth
Dempsey (assuming injured or suspended) > McVeigh
Bellchambers > Laycock.

If Bellchambers is only playing 40-50 minutes surely we can get more impact out of the Lay Cock?

I'm a little bit worried about Winderlich, too - not sure how he's going to pull up after that Coughlan bump. Mongrel effort - he's the last bloke in the league that you'd want to see having his neck / back put at risk and Coughlan should know better after all the time he's spent on the sidelines.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

He played 60 minutes which I don't think is anywhere near enough time to justify his inclusion. We have been successful this year by fielding a team full of fit players. He will not be match hardened and if he comes back too early, there's a chance of a repeat of his earlier comeback this year.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

swoodley wrote:He played 60 minutes which I don't think is anywhere near enough time to justify his inclusion. We have been successful this year by fielding a team full of fit players. He will not be match hardened and if he comes back too early, there's a chance of a repeat of his earlier comeback this year.
Same with Laycock...he also only played about 60 minutes. Leave Bellchambers in as he can ruck against Mumford who has a similar amount of experience.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

I'm going to be clearly negative. Let's relate team selection this week against Geelong based on similar team selections by other club's when they've play Geelong.

Now, I'm not saying we should tank or not play 110% attacking and committed footy - but, what I am referring to and hoping is that we make reserved judgements on the playing personell for this week and only play those players who are 100% (or near 100%) fit.

I do not believe we have as much to gain by playing guys who are questionably fit; as opposed to the somewhat huge benefit they can provide in the coming weeks (and especially later on in the season) when we have a huge opportunity to play finals for the first time in a few years.

After Geelong our draw is - West Coast, Melbourne, Carlton, Collingwood and Sydney.

Is it not plausable to lower our pride and have the majority of our playing list available for these games?

Let me know what you think!!!!!!
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

yeah id agree with that bomberflyer.... bottom line is thats the most logical way to look at it
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Probably not fit enough to come back yet.
Still thinking about the North game.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.