Gold Coast: Who Do We Protect?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Gold Coast: Who Do We Protect?

Post by Ronny Rotten »

At the end of next season the new Gold Coast side has access to 1 uncontracted player from each club. I don't know the current status, contract wise, of players but NOW is the time to stitch up our talented young players so to stop these parasites from sniffing around our guys.

I understand that they are mainly interested in players aged under 25 years so our senior group of Welsh,McVeigh,McPhee,Hille,Skipworth,Lloyd,Lucas & Fletcher are not on the radar.

I believe the UNTOUCHABLES should be:
Bellchambers,
Winderlich
Zaharakis
Watson
Stanton
Daniher
Davey
Dempsey (He is a Queenslander, a prime selection & we are starting to reap the rewards of his talent after much preserverance)
Gumbleton
Hocking
Hooker
Houli
Hurley
Laycock
Lonergan
Lovett
Monfries
Myers
Neagle
Pears
Prismall
Reimers
Ryder
Slattery

With question marks against Nash,Jetta,Lovett-Murray & Dyson.

Too early to predict: Quinn,T.Slattery,Still & Williams(also & Queenslander)
NOTE: I hav'nt included rookies but Magin comes from the Gold Coast , he may want to return home?
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Re: Gold Coast: Who Do We Protect?

Post by Crazyman »

Out of your list I think we may need to look at someone as being tradebait...whilst they may want a predominantly younger team, I am sure that they will want a mix with at least 6 senior players in the 25 - 30 bracket. Therefore my thoughts are as follows:

UNTOUCHABLES should be:
Bellchambers
Winderlich
Zaharakis
Watson
Stanton
Davey
Dempsey
Hocking
Hooker
Hurley
Lonergan
Lovett
Monfries
Myers
Neagle
Pears
Prismall
Reimers
Ryder
Slattery (assume you mean Henry...)

Possible tradebaits
Daniher / Gumbleton - For mine, Daniher has been overtaken by other youngsters and Gumby is too injury prone. If one or the other of these two were traded, we have backup to cover them. Daniher is already covered down back and if Gumby is traded, Daniher comes back into the backline development with one of Hooker, Myers, Ryder & co to move forward to CHF
Laycock - Whilst I would love to see Chook have an awesome back half of this year, as has been pointed out adnauseum, he is a liability and will be quickly overtaken by Belly the way things are. He has size and is capable of playing forward and whilst he might hurt us if he were traded, for mine, he has the most value of our current available tradeable list
Houli - Love the guy to bits as a footballer, however, we have plenty of his type atm and he just isn't in our best 22...

I hope Dempsey wants to stay. He is finally showing what a quality footballer he is and it would be a shame if he decided he wanted to leave. That said, I would not begrudge him that opportunity ala Wanganeen when Port came into the comp...
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Williams, Nash and Magin probably wont survive the end of this year so they wont be on the Gold Coast hit list in 2010.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Dempsey is from Cairns. I don't think the go home factor will be involved with him.

We cannot let Ryder go. This kid is going to be an all time great of the game. If the GC come asking about him shoot them.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Trade Gumby????

a) Why would oyu let go of a number 2 draft pick when you havent even seen what he is capable of - talk about rolling the dice!!!

b) who would trade anyhthing for him anyway - he has done nothing and is injury prone

So either way you look at it - Gumby aint going anywhere
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

my crack at speculation:

i reckon they will go after experience, they will need a captain and prob a senior backman.

of our guys they might try and target mcveigh. 28, only signs one year deals and spike is looking at a team from the sidelines(at the moment, hopefully back this week) that will be up for a flag realistically when he is a mid closing in on 30.

if he was offered leadership and 500K+ a year, i could see him being tempted.

otherwise i genuinely think the gold coast will go for hawthorn/geelong players. scarlett or hodge for example would be perfect for them.

it will be guys who have tasted success(think about what merrett/wangas/hardwick/neagle etc had in common) or feel like they might miss out on premiership success that will go.

no player IMO will go to the gold coast without a bucket of cash and/or the captaincy. the go home factor is over rated, if your a young AFL star you really want to play in Melbourne.

our young guys, whilst talented, might seriously struggle at the gold coast, it could kill their career(s). the gold coast will bring a bunch of guys through from the one or two drafts, surrounded by some experience blokes to be good mentors. least thats what i reckon.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Let go of Gumby!

F**K YOU!
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

How does this nabbing of players work?

Can someone tell me in a slightly detailed way? Can they only get uncontracted players? If so just say the player they want wants more than GC are willing to offer?
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

They are allowed one per team. Player must be uncontracted and want to go. AFL will then decide compensatory picks.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

What are ppl worried about then?

Unless a player wants to leave which is doubtful, they cant take anyone we dont want them to have.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

For those that are getting themselves all worked up about comments regarding Gumby, please note that I said that the names mentioned may be possible tradebait and at no stage did I say that we should put any of those players up for grabs so next time read the f****** thread properly before you decide to throw stones.

Also, whilst he was a number 2 pick, we have had no value out of him, he has been perpetually injured and I don't give a f*** how great he 'might' be if he is going to turn into another CJ!!!!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

tom9779 wrote:of our guys they might try and target mcveigh. 28, only signs one year deals and spike is looking at a team from the sidelines(at the moment, hopefully back this week) that will be up for a flag realistically when he is a mid closing in on 30.

Spike is currently on a two year deal through to the end of 2010.

I would rate him THE least likely player to leave the club no matter what the circumstances....he bleeds red and black!
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

DC wrote:How does this nabbing of players work?

Can someone tell me in a slightly detailed way? Can they only get uncontracted players? If so just say the player they want wants more than GC are willing to offer?
Basically they have loads more money than anyone else and they have what essentially amounts to free agency rights. Players coming out of contract in 2010 can choose to take a contract with the GC and skip the PSD shit. They will likely get a lot more cash.

In return, the AFL has devised a formula based on B&F results, original draft position, rank in the club in terms of salary and some other factors which will define the draft pick that the GC club has to pay to the club who loses the player as compensation. So you'd expect that someone like Ryder would get you a high first round pick and someone like Nash would get you a third or fourth rounder.

At the moment Scott Clayton's job is wording up the player agents to make sure that their players don't sign long term contracts - on the basis that they will have more bargaining power when GC enters the bidding. It will all start to get very interesting towards the end of next year / 2011.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

cheers andrew and sissy. :wink:
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

swoodley wrote:
tom9779 wrote:of our guys they might try and target mcveigh. 28, only signs one year deals and spike is looking at a team from the sidelines(at the moment, hopefully back this week) that will be up for a flag realistically when he is a mid closing in on 30.

I would rate him THE least likely player to leave the club no matter what the circumstances....he bleeds red and black!
Yep that is what i was going to post.... why would McVeigh leave this great club with all its glory and heritage (he is wearing the legendary #10 as well) to go to a club that has no history and no guarentee of success??

I dont think we need to worry about any of our important players being pinched.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

protect everyone except Laycock.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
swoodley wrote:

Yep that is what i was going to post.... why would McVeigh leave this great club with all its glory and heritage (he is wearing the legendary #10 as well) to go to a club that has no history and no guarentee of success??

I dont think we need to worry about any of our important players being pinched.
Well I am just suggesting who I think from the essendon list would be of value to the gold coast. they will need a captain and prob some other experienced players in their spine.

McVeigh yes undoubtably loves playing for essendon.

I also thought the same though of Wangas, Dimma, Merrett, Neagle(snr), Salmon(altho the fish was lambasted by a lot of dickhead essendon fans). etc yet they all went to other clubs for different reasons.

My thought are that the gold coast will splash some cash around for some senior leaders, prob about 4 to go with their kids.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Dimma didint choose to leave though, he was traded by the club. Wanganeen going to PA was a little different as well because he was a Port boy and was going home. I dont think we have any local Gold Coast boys on the list except maybe Magin??
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Roger Merrett was no queenslander and Merv Neagle no sydneysider.

yet they both left for more cash.

i've answered this from the gold coast perspective. IMO mcveigh/hille are the two they would be most interested in. obvious leaders after Lloydy and still have years left in them..
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

tom9779 wrote:Roger Merrett was no queenslander and Merv Neagle no sydneysider.

yet they both left for more cash.

i've answered this from the gold coast perspective. IMO mcveigh/hille are the two they would be most interested in. obvious leaders after Lloydy and still have years left in them..
Merrett and the club had a bit of a disagreement which led to him leaving. In a recent article I read regarding Merv leaving, he stated that the money he was offered was just too good to pass up at the time as he had a young family. The offer was something like $360k whereas Essendon were offering well less than half that amount.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012