Essendon Haters - Name and Shame

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
dom_105
Club Captain

Re: Essendon Haters - Name and Shame

Post by dom_105 »

Please congratulate our latest inductee.

Andrew Bews
Geelong, 207 Games, Brisbane Bears/Lions, 75 games.
Premierships - 0

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/art ... ports.html
THIS is not going to be a very popular article. Many out there in the footy world will possibly look at this and assess it as taking a cheap shot at one of the great innovations of the footy world.

Maybe so, but to me the Bombers are the most over-publicised underachievers in the AFL.

They've been window dressing as many games as they can to try to draw crowds to lift their profile out there in the greater football community.

Good marketing? Well, yes, I'll agree, but the way Essendon claims or hijacks any untagged event in the footy calendar looks desperate and is beginning to drive me up the wall.

The Nutty Professor Kevin Sheedy was a master of setting up these types of gimmicks during his reign at the Bombers - he initiated and drove most of these matches.

The games had a special something when Essendon and its opposition stood at the top of the table, but for me they pale into insignificance when one of the combatants is stuck at the foot of the ladder.

Don't believe the old footy clich that "it doesn't matter where these two teams are on the ladder".

These matches are so much better when the best teams were clashing mid-season. Unfortunately they don't capture the imagination when one of the bottom teams is being asked to be one of the drawcards.

The AFL even helped prop up the Dreamtime at the 'G clash with the whole round being named the 'Indigenous Round', which I think was a more credible way of acknowledging the contribution of that corner of the competition's player group.

I was bemused by some of the reports from the Dreamtime at the 'G game though; one bit of script that caught my eye was this little gem.

"It was Essendon's second win from five of these encounters, which form the centerpiece of the AFL's Indigenous Round."

I don't know how people get it so wrong or get caught up in such delusional trumped up hype; this was a battle of two sides that have been strugglers for longer than I'd like to think about. At least Essendon has crept up the ladder somewhat this year. But the Bombers have only played a couple of the very good sides. With wins over Fremantle early in the season Carlton in a close one Collingwood, Hawthorn and Richmond, the underdone and injury-crippled Hawks remain the only genuine scalp of credibility.

The Tigers, though, play like they hardly know each other - any semblance of a team is clearly lacking.

Most of the time players are simply trying to stay in the side for next week. The game was ordinary at best and further evidence to that was the amount in which Essendon won by. The embarrassing thing for them was how long it took them to put the game beyond doubt.

For the record there is only one game worth winning or holding bragging rights for and the Hawks have these rights currently.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

What a load of crap!!! Just another verbal diahorrea article, riddled with jealousy. f*** if anyone should be bagged for hogging the limelight for footy games its definately the pies. Worst article, I've ever read. There wasn't even any praise for us whatsoever, as I said, its just riddled with biterness and jealousy. Whatever. God wonder what he will write when (if :P) we show up the cats
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Does Bews not remember that his old side took even longer to put Richmond away? Crippled Hawthorn? Still the media fails to realise the talent we currently have on the sidelines.
Last edited by robrulz5 on Wed May 27, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Yeah, he needs to be added to the list, however, I kind of understand where he is coming from...particularly regarding ladder position when trying to create drawing games...

The difference is, it doesn't matter where Essendon are on the ladder. We always pull crowds, whereas you look at Ninthmond, Doggies, Norf & Melbourne, they couldn't pull a finger for a fart unless they are playing one of the big three (us, Filth or Scum) and even when they play the top sides, you are lucky to get more than 30k even at Dome...

The thing he doesn't understand is that Essendon (with Filth & Scum) has arguably the largest crowd followings of any team in the nation (not just members) and therefore, should hold billing rights (if you want to call it that...). If you go to an interstate game involving the bombers you can almost be assured that the crowd will be at worst 60/40 in favour of the home side...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

So he's been driven up the wall by the EFC? Good.
Essendunny
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

ha I was just about to post that article.

Talk about a total dicksmack. No idea who the guy is but I'm guessing he supports a team that doesn't get shit when it comes to 'blockbusters'.

Newsflash, f*** knuckle. Essendon pull massive crowds. The AFL just cash in on that.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Megan wrote:ha I was just about to post that article.

Talk about a total dicksmack. No idea who the guy is but I'm guessing he supports a team that doesn't get shit when it comes to 'blockbusters'.

Newsflash, f*** knuckle. Essendon pull massive crowds. The AFL just cash in on that.
A.Bews played 282 AFL games (217 with Geelong and 65 with Brisbane Bears / Lions) from 1982 - 1998. Was a good player. But played in underachieving teams his entire career. So he knows all about it :mrgreen:
Essendunny
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

robrulz5 wrote: Crippled Hawthorn? Still the media fails to realise the talent we currently have on the sidelines.
Not only that, but isn't this also the same crippled Hawks that nearly ran all over the top of the Cats in round 1, despite the Cats going into the last with a massive lead.

As for underachievers, well you played out your career without winning a flag, despite having numerous chances, in the same time frame Essendon won 3 flags.

But then I suppose Geelong won a flag back in 2007, never mind the fact it was their first in 44 f****** years, Geelong and everyone involved with them are now far more successful and qualified to talk about the success of every other team bar Hawthorn.

The article simply did not make any sense, and you really cannot take offence to it because it was clearly written be a bloke who is either an A grade moron, or is so jealous of the EFC he has become delusional.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Hated him when he played.

Hate him even more now!
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I saw that Bews article yesterday and thought someone would post it in this thread!

I have updated the list, its getting quite long now but I'm guessing there are plenty more to go.

Bantick, Christopher
Bews, Andrew
Brereton, Dermott
Cometti, Dennis
Cornes, Graham
Dittmar, Chris
Dunstall, Jason
Forrest, Leith
Healy, Gerard
Hutchison, Craig
Lane, Samantha
Lane, Tim
Lyon, Garry
Maher, Andrew
McGuire, Eddie
Morphett, Drew
Ralph, Jon
Rowe, Steven
Russell, Dwayne
Smith, Patrick
Taylor, Brian
Walls, Robert
Whateley, Gerard

Have any of us put our thoughts to the print media yet?
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I am adding Mike Fitzpatrick to the list on the basis of his call in the 1984 Channel 2 coverage of the Grand Final. Hardly relevant until you consider the role the prick has now.
His hatred of Essendon and in particular, Merv Neagle, was staggering and he could not bring himself to offer one positive comment throughout the entire game unless it was through clenched teeth. Probablly stems from the famous steal at Princess Park in "81 when he got done for time wasting and we kicked about 4 in 5 minutes to pinch the game.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Mick
On the Rookie List

Post by Mick »

From a Sporting Life article in the Age in 2005:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Geoff-McC ... 57736.html
Barrack? My word we do

Eddie McGuire might have black and white blood running through every vein in his body but we would be kidding ourselves if we thought he is the only footy commentator who has a love for a particular club.

Yes, we hear your "But Eddie is more than a footy fan, he's a club president, for gawd's sake", but the topic of which media person supports whom, and with what degree of passion, is an interesting exercise nonetheless.

And while some of them, notably those who played the game - people such as Dermott Brereton (mostly Hawthorn), Rex Hunt (mostly Richmond), Garry Lyon (Melbourne), Michael Christian (Collingwood), Stephen Silvagni (Carlton) and Brian Taylor (mostly Collingwood) are easy to pick, many of the non-former player types are not.

Tim Lane is one exception because he has made no secret of his love of the Blues but how about his fellow Ten commentators, Anthony Hudson and Stephen Quartermain, or Nine's Dennis Cometti, or Fox Footy's (and 3AW's) Clinton Grybas or the ABC's Dan Lonergan and Drew Morphett?

Armed with our fan feral meter (of zero to 10), today we sneak through a back door of footy's media box to find out who the commentators support and how hard it must be for them to keep their emotions intact during the course of a game.

DENNIS COMETTI (Nine): "There's only one team I support - West Perth," he said. "I guess I have a soft spot for Melbourne because I barracked for them as a kid, but I also care a little bit for Western Bulldogs (with whom he played seconds footy) and Fremantle. But Melbourne, I guess." Melbourne Feral rating 1

TIM LANE (Ten): Lifetime and unashamedly Blues fan. Carlton Feral rating 7.5

ANTHONY HUDSON (Ten): Always barracked for Geelong. Geelong Feral rating 7.5

STEPHEN QUARTERMAIN (Ten): Strong passion for Hawthorn. Hawthorn Feral rating 7.5

CLINTON GRYBAS (Fox Footy and 3AW): "Passionate Pies supporter although I hope it never shows." Collingwood Feral rating 6

MATTHEW CAMPBELL (Fox Footy): Still follows Brisbane, the team he played for. Brisbane Lions Feral rating 5

JASON BENNETT (Fox Footy): Passionate Blues man. Carlton Feral rating 7.5

DREW MORPHETT (ABC): Grew up as a rugby league fan with a passion for St George but the only thing he has ever barracked for in the AFL is "a good game". No club Feral rating 0

GERARD WHATELEY (ABC): A Geelong supporter "with a reasonable amount of enthusiasm" (read mad fan). Geelong Feral rating 7.5

DAN LONERGAN (ABC): Passionate and lifetime supporter of the Western Bulldogs. Western Bulldogs Feral rating 7.5

ROB WATERS (ABC): Wears a black and white beanie when nobody is looking. Collingwood Feral rating 7

TONY LEONARD (3AW): Rarely misses a Doggies game when he is not calling footy. Western Bulldogs Feral rating 7.5

ROBERT WALLS (The Age, 10, 3AW): The former Blues champion went on to be involved with four clubs in all but still has "a soft spot for the Blues but I don't lose an ounce of sleep if they lose". Carlton Feral rating 4

CAROLINE WILSON (The Age): Has been an avid Richmond fan all her life. Not that it shows. Well, not according to the Tigers, anyway. Richmond Feral rating 6

ROHAN CONNOLLY (The Age). Wore Tim Watson's No. 32 on his back as a kid and has been an enamoured Bombers' fan ever since. Essendon Feral rating 8.5

JAKE NIALL (The Age): Keen Collingwood man but insists he loves footy first, the Pies second. Collingwood Feral rating 5

STEVE RIELLY: (The Age): Keen but not passionate Essendon man. Interestingly, one of six Age football writers with a yearning for red and black. Essendon Feral rating 4

MIKE SHEAHAN (Herald Sun): Maintains he has never barracked for any one club but we suspect he has a soft spot for Melbourne. Feral rating 0.5

TREVOR GRANT (Herald Sun): Grew up as a Magpie supporter and remains one today. Collingwood. Collingwood Feral rating 6
Duff Beer Krusty Burger Buzz Cola Costington's Department Store Kwik-E-Mart Stupid Flanders Park - Home of the Springfield Isotopes
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

dom_105 wrote:Please congratulate our latest inductee.

Andrew Bews
Premierships - 0

THIS is not going to be a very popular article. Many out there in the footy world will possibly look at this and assess it as taking a cheap shot at one of the great innovations of the footy world.

Maybe so, but to me the Bombers are the most over-publicised underachievers in the AFL.

They've been window dressing as many games as they can to try to draw crowds to lift their profile out there in the greater football community.

Good marketing? Well, yes, I'll agree, but the way Essendon claims or hijacks any untagged event in the footy calendar looks desperate and is beginning to drive me up the wall.

The Nutty Professor Kevin Sheedy was a master of setting up these types of gimmicks during his reign at the Bombers - he initiated and drove most of these matches.

The games had a special something when Essendon and its opposition stood at the top of the table, but for me they pale into insignificance when one of the combatants is stuck at the foot of the ladder.

Don't believe the old footy clich that "it doesn't matter where these two teams are on the ladder".

These matches are so much better when the best teams were clashing mid-season. Unfortunately they don't capture the imagination when one of the bottom teams is being asked to be one of the drawcards.

The AFL even helped prop up the Dreamtime at the 'G clash with the whole round being named the 'Indigenous Round', which I think was a more credible way of acknowledging the contribution of that corner of the competition's player group.

I was bemused by some of the reports from the Dreamtime at the 'G game though; one bit of script that caught my eye was this little gem.

"It was Essendon's second win from five of these encounters, which form the centerpiece of the AFL's Indigenous Round."

I don't know how people get it so wrong or get caught up in such delusional trumped up hype; this was a battle of two sides that have been strugglers for longer than I'd like to think about. At least Essendon has crept up the ladder somewhat this year. But the Bombers have only played a couple of the very good sides. With wins over Fremantle early in the season Carlton in a close one Collingwood, Hawthorn and Richmond, the underdone and injury-crippled Hawks remain the only genuine scalp of credibility.

The Tigers, though, play like they hardly know each other - any semblance of a team is clearly lacking.

Most of the time players are simply trying to stay in the side for next week. The game was ordinary at best and further evidence to that was the amount in which Essendon won by. The embarrassing thing for them was how long it took them to put the game beyond doubt.

For the record there is only one game worth winning or holding bragging rights for and the Hawks have these rights currently.
No shit Sherlock...

Just goes to show any hack can get a gig as a sports journo these days as long as he's devoid of too much brain damage from his playing days, has fingers to type with and a spell checker on his computer... I mean really, this sounds like the sort of irrational rant you'd expect someone like Joffa to write. But I suspect even he would know more about the current game... Funny stuff indeed.

:lol:
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

It's an opinion peice in the Sleepy Hollow times more people have read it on this site than the whole circulation!
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

OMG! Now I remember Bews.

Still stand by what I said tho, he clearly has no idea :P
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Mick wrote:From a Sporting Life article in the Age in 2005:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Geoff-McC ... 57736.html
Barrack? My word we do

DREW MORPHETT (ABC): Grew up as a rugby league fan with a passion for St George but the only thing he has ever barracked for in the AFL is "a good game". No club Feral rating 0
Could've sworn Morphett was a Carlton lover over the years. You learn something new everyday.
Essendunny
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

dom_105 wrote:Please congratulate our latest inductee.

Andrew Bews
Premierships - 0

What a complete f*ckwit.... talk about the green eyed monster. :P
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Gee,coudda SWORN we HATED SCHWARZ's GUTS not that long ago.My,how times have changed.I still enjoy seeing his SNOZ Getting SPLATTERED in the 2000 GRAND FINAL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
damo22
Top Up Player

Post by damo22 »

Staggy wrote:I saw that Bews article yesterday and thought someone would post it in this thread!

I have updated the list, its getting quite long now but I'm guessing there are plenty more to go.

Bantick, Christopher
Bews, Andrew
Brereton, Dermott
Cometti, Dennis
Cornes, Graham
Dittmar, Chris
Dunstall, Jason
Forrest, Leith
Healy, Gerard
Hutchison, Craig
Lane, Samantha
Lane, Tim
Lyon, Garry
Maher, Andrew
McGuire, Eddie
Morphett, Drew
Ralph, Jon
Rowe, Steven
Russell, Dwayne
Smith, Patrick
Taylor, Brian
Walls, Robert
Whateley, Gerard

Have any of us put our thoughts to the print media yet?
michael christian from channel ten is pretty bad.. collingwood scum
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Joffa!

:mrgreen: