Can we make it...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Can we make it...

Post by merc_2 »

This has probably been mentioned somewhere....but as much as Id love this young group to have a taste of finals footy...i think it is unlikely!
The run home:

Carlton (50/50...they will start favourites)
Collingwood (see above)
Sydney at the SCG (our travel record says it all)
Western Bulldogs (unlikely win)
Richmond (a must win)
West Coast (always hard to beat at Subi and we hate planes)
Brisbane (another must win)
StKilda (I think we blew our chance to beat them earlier in the year)
Freo (see West Coast predication)
Hawthorn (50/50 ......they may be running into form by then)

So given that.....Richmond and Brisbane wins....one of Carlton or Collingwood.....and maybe one of the interstate matches. FOUR WINS in 10 is my predication.
We finish on TEN wins for the year and unfortunately I feel the North and Adelaide losses may cost us a spot in the finals.

What do others think?
brad
Top Up Player

Re: Can we make it...

Post by brad »

Of course we can make it!

Only one team has "smashed us" this year and that was Geelong.

We're only going to get better during the remaining 10 games and if we can't win AT LEAST 5/6 of them then we're not deserving of a finals place - forgetting the fact we lost to North.

Richmond
West Coast
Fremantle
Sydney

These I'd be fuming if we lost. They are currently bottom 8 and all bar Sydney (think they're gone) will be jostling for priority picks or best possible draft pick.

Carlton
Collingwood
Brisbane
Hawthorn

These 4 are teams we are on par with and I'd be expecting to win a minimum of 2 of these. 3 or 4 isn't out of the question.

Bulldogs
St Kilda

Bulldogs will be due for a loss and we play the Prime Time Friday night games well. It will be our HOME GAME and record against the Dogs isn't too bad.

St Kilda game won't be a smashing but let's see where the two teams are. They'll have secured a top two spot and have had played the Cats.

One win from these two matches is a very big possibility.

I'll say 7-8 wins from the remaining 10.

7 wins we'll finish 5th
8 wins and we'll finish 4th

Lose those first 4 and don't make them up with other wins we'll get what we deserve (bottom 8).
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

If we dont beat Sydney I will vomit. They played awful hand-ball, hand-ball, hand-ball football last night and looked like pure shit. Put the pressure on and they go to butter fingers. Forget the hard at it Sydney side of 4 years ago. They are shot.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

tonysoprano wrote:If we dont beat Sydney I will vomit. They played awful hand-ball, hand-ball, hand-ball football last night and looked like pure shit. Put the pressure on and they go to butter fingers. Forget the hard at it Sydney side of 4 years ago. They are shot.
I was thinking the same thing last night TS. Pencil it in as a SHOULD WIN. Carlton & Collingwood will be the biggest games of the year!!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Beat BOTH Collingwood and Carlton and we will make the finals

Lose one of those games and a think we will just miss out. Makes the Adelaide and North losses sting all the more
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Next two weeks are critical, and will be a very good indication of whether we will make finals. I'm still finding it really hard to judge where we are at after the first half of the season. A bit up and down, but a lot to like.

We will have pretty much the strongest team (on paper) that we have had for the season except possibly Mcveigh if he gets rubbed out. Hope we can perform.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Windy_Hill wrote:Beat BOTH Collingwood and Carlton and we will make the finals

Lose one of those games and a think we will just miss out. Makes the Adelaide and North losses sting all the more
What he said.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant