McVeigh Cops a Week

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

McVeigh Cops a Week

Post by boncer34 »

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
ESSENDON faces the prospect of being without Mark McVeigh for Friday night’s crucial clash with Carlton after the AFL’s match review panel offered the Bomber a one-week suspension for striking.

The MRP assessed McVeigh’s third-quarter striking charge on Demon Jared Rivers as a level three offence; the incident deemed as intentional conduct (three points), low impact (one point) and high contact (two points) for a total of 225 activation points.

McVeigh risks a two-game ban if he chooses to contest the ruling. McVeigh has a total of one match suspended within the last three years, which further increases the penalty by 10 per cent to 247.50 points which equates to a two-match ban.

However, an early guilty plea would reduce the points by 25 per cent and the suspension to just one match.

Essendon meets Collingwood on July 3 so McVeigh would be risking missing that vital match as well if he contests.

Bugger. But f*** McVeigh is an idiot, gotta go look at my activations points while I'm at it. I picked the assesment but by my books that equals a level two offence of 125 points. Hmm.
Edit: I'm an idiot. Clearly can't read the booklet because it clearly stated it was a level 3 offence and worthy 225 not the 2 that I though. Which you guys dont care about but jeez I need new glasses.
Last edited by boncer34 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: McVeigh Cops a Week

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Silly stuff from Spike really but at least we have a whole team to choose from at the moment. At least he chose the right time to get suspended (while we dont have an injury list). Natrat is a nice replacement for him. Hopefully missing the Carl clash will put fire up McVeigh's butt and he will come out and have a BOG against the Pies!
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

He deserves it. I hope he hurts this week. Sick of his stupidity sometimes... be tough going for the ball not wasting time fisty cufting when we are 10 goals up.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Have already taken the week.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Oh well. Houli back?
Essendunny
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

JumboPaddy wrote:He deserves it. I hope he hurts this week. Sick of his stupidity sometimes... be tough going for the ball not wasting time fisty cufting when we are 10 goals up.
Yep.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

He didn't help his cause by apologising to teammates, club and supporters at radio interview today either.

The rhetoric sounded sincere but the action was an example of the silly things he has done occasionally...like giving away 50's etc. Repeat offences need to be stopped, and not apologised for.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

No way Houli comes in - he is too indecisive. I would bring in Hank Slattery.

Hurley unfortunately needs more time in the twos - and there is no obvious replacement because we need 2-bit Hooker as back-up ruckman.

FU*k McVeigh is an idiot sometimes.

I have a mate in Adelaide who reckons he's a good bloke, but not lacking confidence.

He was on On the Couch last year and they rang him up and said his Club shirt looked tight and Spike said it was because he was such a big unit. Funny then...not funny now.
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He deserves the week. Lets hope he misses a very important win this week.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

bomberflyer wrote:No way Houli comes in - he is too indecisive. I would bring in Hank Slattery.

Hurley unfortunately needs more time in the twos - and there is no obvious replacement because we need 2-bit Hooker as back-up ruckman.

I have a mate in Adelaide who reckons he's a good bloke, but not lacking confidence.

He was on On the Couch last year and they rang him up and said his Club shirt looked tight and Spike said it was because he was such a big unit. Funny then...not funny now.
Spike is an out and out champion of a bloke... He has white line fever so what? I wish more players had his aggression and tenacity

Everyone criticising him seem to think that before he swung a jumper punch at Rivers that he should have weighed up that we were playing Carlton next week.... That we were a mile in front.... That there were cameras at the ground... How many of you have been in a scrap on the footy field?? for those that havent I can tell you that there is not much chance to weigh up the pros and cons of swinging a punch.

The problem for Spike was that he meant to jumper punch him but his hand slipped and made it look like a left cross. There was sfa in it but he still made contact and probably got his right whack.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Agreed Donnie. Remember, even Hirdy got a bit agro sometimes and we all thought that was great ;)

If they don't show a bit of agro, they're not passionate enough... it was an unfortunate incident, and he's got his week that he probably deserved at the end of the day. Shit happens, move on. Even if push comes to shove and we lost by a goal that puts us out of the eight - so what? We're not GF contenders, lets be realistic. It's not like a premiership cup hinges on it.

I expect to get flamed for this :mrgreen:
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

i need glasses too then bonce.

i swear that every time I look at the footage - he misses Rivers.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bomberdonnie wrote:
bomberflyer wrote:No way Houli comes in - he is too indecisive. I would bring in Hank Slattery.

Spike is an out and out champion of a bloke... He has white line fever so what? I wish more players had his aggression and tenacity

Everyone criticising him seem to think that before he swung a jumper punch at Rivers that he should have weighed up that we were playing Carlton next week.... That we were a mile in front.... That there were cameras at the ground... How many of you have been in a scrap on the footy field?? for those that havent I can tell you that there is not much chance to weigh up the pros and cons of swinging a punch.

The problem for Spike was that he meant to jumper punch him but his hand slipped and made it look like a left cross. There was sfa in it but he still made contact and probably got his right whack.
=D>

Well said.

Can't believe the rubbish that's been thrown at him. Big deal. Didn't Rivers connect with McVeigh's head? Nothing for that eh...
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bomberflyer wrote:No way Houli comes in - he is too indecisive.
Rubbish.

Was one of our better players v Geelong and he played well v Adelaide.

Seriously, some people just label players for one mistake and it sticks for years......

Houli this year is averaging 22 disposals at an efficiency rate of 81%
Essendunny
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

I agree BD - Houli has been improving in leaps and bounds this year. His defensive efforts R11 vs R1 and parts of last year are miles apart. The thing I like most about him is his closing speed in marking contests - he gets to a lot of contests that he really shouldn't be able to, especially as the game wears on and his extra fitness starts to show.

He's got the potential to be a really good half back flanker / back pocket in the McLeod / Wanganeen mould although I think that he'll eventually move into the middle. Great engine, great work ethic, exceptional character - all the tools to be a very important player and person around the club.

He'll come straight in - virus last week.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

tonysoprano wrote:i need glasses too then bonce.

i swear that every time I look at the footage - he misses Rivers.
Rivers did not even blink and kept mouthing off as if nothing happened. Still dumb and 1 week is about right.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

There was'nt much in it, but why apologise & admit guilt BEFORE the faceless, weak, scum loving MRP get their hands on it. Who are probably still smarting after Ryder got off.

Can you imagine the eddie & the filth or the scum admitting guilt before the process has begun. Spike should have shut up or pleaded his action was accidental or anything but not guilty. If he has to apologise, leave to later.

It also annoys me to see Ling get NO MATCHES for his blatant punch which apparently hurt the dicker & Spikes brush would not even hurt a fly.

Bring back the biff......
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

Houli - I like his endeavour but his decision-making is questionable. I would prefer to see him further up the ground. Nevertheless, he won't get a game because they will play Slattery.

NLM would be the next in, but for who?

As for McVeigh, I think there is a time at this level where you swallow your pride and think of the team rather than let your macho and testosterone overtake the process.

We are at the end of the day - better off with him in the Team aren't we - despite the MRP decision?
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Both decisions (1. the act itself as clumbsy and unnecessary as it was and 2. the apology and his unawareness of its wider implications) wil be the making of him for the rest of his career.

I have previously commented on McVeigh's passion for the club, his talent and his give all attitude... but as a leader - he has to lead by example

(hmmm.... I seem to recall Lloydy thinking leadership was to whack someone during the break when he became Captain).

Despite the result this Fri ... learn Spike and you'll be Cap in 2010! As simple as that.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

bomberdonnie wrote:

I agree, particularly on the bit in bold, but a club leader should never put themselves in that position.

I believe Houli is still unwell and Slattery will be considered.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.