Spike's Out!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
juff
Top Up Player

Re: Spike's Out!

Post by juff »

Staggy wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/mc ... 11405.html

Obviously Mark's pretty disappointed with it all but that's part of it. He made a choice, he chose a path and he . . . missed a training session which is important to Friday night's build-up. Whether he's a first-year player or second-year player or a champion of the football club, if you're not going to get the trademark right you're not going to get that professionalism right to prepare yourself to play. We're not going to pull any punches with anyone."
The response from Knights again exemplifies why he is such a good coach:

a) He sets clear expectations about what is required and explains why they need to be followed
b) Is consistent in applying his expectations - same rules apply for champions like Mark. This sends a message to the rest of the list.
c) Is decisive. Didn't wait for it to be a media issue before sentence was passed.
d) Didn't go over the top, didn't rant or rave or wring his hands. Acknowledged that Mark is a champion, but must nonetheless pay the consequences for his choices. Straight shooter, very factual.
e) Doesn't lose sleep over it. Is positive about Mark's replacement for Friday and expects that player to give 100%

10/10 =D>
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

While most of us are flithy at Spike for this, I think the bloke who is most filthy at him is himself, probably closely followed by Matty Knights. The timing of this is absolutely horrible, stupidly gets himself suspended for a week, we lose Jobe Watson for a massive game against the Flith but this is somewhat going to be off-set by the return of McVeigh. Then McVeigh gets a club imposed ban for getting on the piss and missing training.

The slightest positive to come out of this is he'll be busting his absolutely gut for the rest of the season to make it up to the playing group, coaches and the supporters.

And congratulations to David Hille and Jobe Watson, the race to be the next captain of EFC has been reduced to two, prehaps with Andrew Welsh as a very, very dark horse.

I do like how the club has handled this, I mean clubs like the Flith are quite happy to act tough rubbing out youngster who f*** up, meanwhile continuing to allow their stars who f*** up to run out.

Remember, Heath Shaw and Alan Didak weren't rubbed out for getting on the piss, drinking driving (in Shaw's case) and crashing a car, they were rubbed out because they lied to Malthouse and Macguire and made Macguire look like a complete knob head when he publically defended them.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Mark McVeigh - Essendon's Barry Hall

What a nong.

If this season comes down to one game, small percentage difference, one clean possession out of the middle - then McVeigh can kiss goodbye any meaninful leadership role.

Talks the Talk, but aint walking nowhere

Really disappointed.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

I reckon the Mcveigh brothers might be both targeted by the gold coast.

fair call by knights, he has a list busting to play a game.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

This is going to sound a little strange but there was something I noticed when Spike came back into the side. The likes of Pears and Hooker form dropped off. I am not saying this can be attributed to Spike but I get the impression he isnt backward in coming forward when mistakes are made. Let Fletcher be their general of the backline and have Spike worry about his own fitness, form and task at hand. I just got the feeling that his renowned on field leadership was a bit over the top and this had a detrimental effect on some of the youngsters.

He will have to do a mountain of repair work to get back to where he was in the leadership credentials. I am pleased Knights and the leadership group took a strong stand. I hope he will take the ignominy of this dropping in the spirit it needs to be interpreted. He stuffed up - he let the team, the club and himself down.I hope he sees this as a setback that he can use to make him stronger. Thats the best way he can apologise to the team.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Bloody hell.

If we were told that a player has missed training due to a late night binge session, and we had to guess which player it was, virtually everyone would have selected Spike as one of the last one's. This is incredibly stupid. Not only has the team had to endure his frustrating battle with injury, it also had to endure a stupid suspension when he returned. And now THIS?? f*** mate, could you be even more disappointing?

Fact that all young listed players look up to you makes this trangression all the more pitiful. Don't expect the honour of captaincy when it is up for offer. You must now work twice as f***'n hard as you normally do to win back some damn respect. You must now return and drive this club towards the finals. I don't care how much pain you have to go through, you must carry the burden of getting us there.
Essendunny
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Before this i thought McVeigh bleed red and black and now (not knowing him or or the situation of course) i fear his desire to has dropped off a little and we might lose him to GC17 (not sure if he is contracted or not past the poaching date), but then again this could just be frustration and he could come out and blast the final 8 games or whatever it is, in that case vingertje vingertje vingertje
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Already been said but fairly disappointed with him. I know that he is human, and it was only a night out, but he is one of the guys who should be leading the way. He is not young anymore. He has mad a bad decision, and I'm sure the loss of respect from his peers, besides being dropped, will be the worst punishment. I'd say that any aspirations for captaining the club have taken a severe blow.

However, let's not go over the top. Talk of trading (on some other forums) and loss in desire is going a bit to far. Make no mistake, he loves the club, and anyone who has heard him speak can attest to that. It is up to him to regain respect by playing good footy on the field, and ensuring this doesn't happen again off it.

Knighta has handled the situation perfectly. Full credit to him. Sets a precedent - doesn't matter who you are, do the wrong thing and you will be punished. We are no Collingwood.
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

I am gonna chuck this out there. If he does it again, will Essendon approach it in the same way that they did with Lovett, i.e. offer him up as trade bait?
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

2QIK4U wrote:I am gonna chuck this out there. If he does it again, will Essendon approach it in the same way that they did with Lovett, i.e. offer him up as trade bait?
i would be surprised. i thought spike was a real one club man, but i reckon given he is 28, got prob 3 good years left in him, he has some real value to say the new GC franchise.

altho he would be nuts to leave essendon now...finals really in scope and with so much young talent coming through.

mcveigh would be worth a first rounder if GC were willing to pay....

1 night out on the piss does not mean trade bait, it means a slap on the wrist, a loss in match fees and an opportunity to redeem himself.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Jesus f****** Christ.

Over reaction much.

He f***** up, he f***** up royally, we know it, the club knows and he sure as f*** knows.

Talk about him being Essendon's Barry Hall or that he lost his desire and wants to go to GC17 is complete an utter crap!!

He has had a shit season ruined by injured and then a stupid suspension, he probably went out Sunday night to blow of some stem and tom deal with some of the frustration that would obviously be building up for him because he hasn't been able to get on the ground. Obviously he took it too far and is now paying the consequences, but for people to change their opinion on him so drastically (from I thought he bled red and black to maybe he wants out and to go to the Gold Coast) is nothing short of laughable.

He has cuked up, he has damaged his standing at the club, the playing group and coaching staff well have lost some of their respect for him, but one thing I know about Mark McVeigh, he ain't no Brendon Fevola type, who would crack the sads if he had be discplined in such a way.

He will come back breathing fire and busting his absolute gut to get the team into the finals and win back some of the respect he has lost.

So can we put all the half baked comparisons and conspiracy theories to rest?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

ealesy wrote:Jesus f****** Christ.

Over reaction much.

He f***** up, he f***** up royally, we know it, the club knows and he sure as f*** knows.

Talk about him being Essendon's Barry Hall or that he lost his desire and wants to go to GC17 is complete an utter crap!!

He has had a shit season ruined by injured and then a stupid suspension, he probably went out Sunday night to blow of some stem and tom deal with some of the frustration that would obviously be building up for him because he hasn't been able to get on the ground. Obviously he took it too far and is now paying the consequences, but for people to change their opinion on him so drastically (from I thought he bled red and black to maybe he wants out and to go to the Gold Coast) is nothing short of laughable.

He has cuked up, he has damaged his standing at the club, the playing group and coaching staff well have lost some of their respect for him, but one thing I know about Mark McVeigh, he ain't no Brendon Fevola type, who would crack the sads if he had be discplined in such a way.

He will come back breathing fire and busting his absolute gut to get the team into the finals and win back some of the respect he has lost.

Great post ealesy =D>
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

swoodley wrote:

Over reaction much.

Great post ealesy =D>
I second that... One minor incident like this isnt going to send Spike to the GC or anywhere else for that matter.
JimboC
Top Up Player

Post by JimboC »

ALRIGHT GUYS....LAY OFF SPIKE NOW....WHAT'S DONE IS DONE....

YES...He's stuffed up, and stuffed up big time...

...but this guy plays with the passion and comittment that has laid a major part in the foundation for our clubs resurgence on the field...

He loves our club and is not going anywhere!!!....think of all the things he has done for this team.., and how he will have his mind firmly placed on redeeming himself to the rest of the boys...

Watch the heart beat out of the chest of the number 10 for the red and black when he gets his head straight... very few can inspire like he can...

Personal message to Spike McVeigh : - a true test of a champion is how he responds to adversity, whether or not it is of his own doing... it's in the past now...GET BACK ON THE FIELD AS SOON AS YOU CAN!!!..

GO DONS~!!
The Watson Factor....
reimers_37
Top Up Player

Post by reimers_37 »

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... public_rss

the article above reveals that it was dean soloman who was spikes bad influence!
geez i luv solly but honestly dont take yor m8 out drinkin wen his got training the nxt morning!
also spike shuld have known way better!
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

Poor form. I hope he's hurting.
Bombers till' I die
Emska
Top Up Player

Post by Emska »

rockhole wrote:Admire the club's reaction to the diciplinary action but absolutel shattered that he could be so fckn stupid.
Couldn't say it better, Rockhole.
There could be some depression involved after his brain snap in Round 12 and now this. Going out for a night of booze and not rocking up to training. It hurts me to say this but Spike, you deserve it.
For he's a jolly good fellow, (Scotty!)
For he's a jolly good fellow. (Scotty!)
Which no one can deny. (Essendon!!)
Emska
Top Up Player

Post by Emska »

Over reaction much.

About him being our Barry Hall, no way Jose. Not yet anyway. I certinaly hope it doesn't come to that.
For he's a jolly good fellow. (Scotty!)
Which no one can deny. (Essendon!!)
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

The guy is 27 or 28 - not 17 or 18.

It was a selfish, stupid action and the consequences will be far reaching:

1/ - Spike aint gunna be captain any time soon. But his performance for the next 9 or more weeks will be outstanding........or else.

2/ - Matthew Knights has turned the screw another rotation - no one is getting his job any time soon - his response was exemplary =D>

3/ - Everyone on the list - and more particularly the kids - have tangible standards and benchmarks to work with. This football club will not, and does not, tolerate dick-heads and dick-head behaviour. You wear the red and black - whether you're the Captain or a Rookie - you carry yourself with integrity and act like the role model that you are.

4/ - How hard will places in the senior 22 be now? How hard will his replacement work on Friday night? How much will our kids grow knowing that their efforts are not only recognised but rewarded because of their fine efforts and examples. You watch how F***ing hard we will be at the ball and the opposition for the rest of this season.

5- - Spike's contribution this year has been negligible. In a twist of irony - this may be his best contribution yet.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Apparently he was out on the sauce with Solly. Just a couple of lads having a catch up.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.