Stanton

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Stanton

Post by hillchaser »

Is it just me or can anyone tell me a game this year when he has actually had a big affect on the game ? He has no physical presence and there is no defensive pressure....his possessions always seem to come late in the second half when the game is already cracked...I would drop him this week.
Ossie
Club Captain

Re: Stanton

Post by Ossie »

Ah, more knee-jerk reactions having a crack at a bloke who has led our team in most stats for the last three seasons. :roll:
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

he had a huge influence on the game just after half-time last week vs Carlton. We had lost Jobe in the 2nd qtr - the game was tight - and he was instrumental in giving us an advantage after the break.

but I do kind of agree he has been down a bit generally - despite the stats. I reckon he, like Paddy, suffer from our game plan. One of Stants greatest strengths was to break into space and to always be an option for basically anyone on the ground to kick to him. and then he in turn to either take us out of the back 50, or bring us into the fwd 50. Now, given our handball (at all costs?) sort of attitude - his hard running ability is diminished.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

He is definitely in a bit of a form slump. He had a very good first half of the year in general IMO, but the last month or so hasn't been as great.

I think he has been carrying some sort of injury at times, you can just see that he hasn't been running as freely as normal. I think he will come good, has been a good player for a fair period of time.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

under the radar kind of player that can find the ball and from memory rarely goes sideways or backwards...... drop him you say?
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

*yawn*
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Great when the midfield's on top.
Can struggle when it's tough through the middle and defensive efforts still pretty shit.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

j-mac31 wrote: Can struggle when it's tough through the middle and defensive efforts still pretty shit.
Up to the coaches and staff to reinforce this into him, and if he doesn't follow team rules, then he should be dropped.

Have to remember that we are much more about teamwork than individuals, which I believe we used to be. We have a team sharing the responsibility around, meaning that he probably won't get the large numbers from years gone by. As long as he is completing the task assigned to him, he should remain in the team.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Shut up
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Gringo hasn't been online in the past 7 hours? Oh well give it time.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

It's ridiculous to say thah he should be dropped. However I am a little dissapointed in his disposal of late, and he does seem to be developing a disturbing habit of going missing when things are getting tough. He is still only 22 though, and can run all day. He still needs to take some further steps to become a truly elite player.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

robbie67 wrote:It's ridiculous to say thah he should be dropped. However I am a little dissapointed in his disposal of late, and he does seem to be developing a disturbing habit of going missing when things are getting tough. He is still only 22 though, and can run all day. He still needs to take some further steps to become a truly elite player.
Correct
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Was probably our best after qtr time against Carlton - there you go, wasnt so hard after all
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Hubbida hubbida...
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Stanton is going to be pushed, and pushed hard, by Prismall. It's great to have another bloke down at the club who will train as well as Brent does as I think that this will push him to the next level.

I wouldn't be surprised if Stants is carrying a niggle at the moment because he doesn't normally get run down like he did on Friday. Still, in terms of guys that you'd like to have with the ball in their hand going inside 50 it's Lovett, McVeigh, Prismall then Stanton for me at the moment. And given he's still getting 25 a game with the no.1 tag I think he's doing pretty well.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Probably needs to win a bit of his own ball.
One of the main reasons Dyson has been better and received praise around here.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I dont think Stants has been that bad... just not as influential as previous seasons. Having more depth in our midfield means that Stants doesnt have to do as much. I think his decision making and ball use does let him down at times but overall he has been serviceable.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

andrewb wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Stants is carrying a niggle at the moment because he doesn't normally get run down like he did on Friday.
You're an astute observer Andy, but i can't believe i'm reading this from you.

Stanton gets mowed down from behind about once every week (on average...sometimes doesn't happen, sometimes happens a few times), usually after he takes at least 5 steps and the crowd make all this noise alerting him to the chasing opponent. His awareness in this respect is mediocre to poor. Though i suppose he gets plenty of the ball in space so the opposition get plenty of opportunities to run him down in these circumstances.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
andrewb wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Stants is carrying a niggle at the moment because he doesn't normally get run down like he did on Friday.
You're an astute observer Andy, but i can't believe i'm reading this from you.

Stanton gets mowed down from behind about once every week (on average...sometimes doesn't happen, sometimes happens a few times), usually after he takes at least 5 steps and the crowd make all this noise alerting him to the chasing opponent. His awareness in this respect is mediocre to poor. Though i suppose he gets plenty of the ball in space so the opposition get plenty of opportunities to run him down in these circumstances.
I'm with Jimmy on this one. And the thing about it - earlier in his career he was excellent at evading (as opposed to shrugging) tackles, and this seems to have deteriorated. Stants at his best is a regular top 3 in our B&F, so we urgently need to get him up or near his best to be fornidable in the remainder of the season and in our prime years coming in the near future! (I hope!)
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

Feel like I've been crucified for this opinion. Never said he was the worst play but I do think he is not as influential as he is cracked up to be ...

And dropping him to get some hunger is that so radical ....?

Funny because I remember a team who dropped 2 players (Dal Santo and Montagna) who were certainly not the worst players in the team but did look flat and without much hunger ... most Saints supporters count that as their big turn around.