Which Draw would you prefer?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Re: Which Draw would you prefer?

Post by merc_2 »

Collingwood home ground is the MCG (that is 11 games). They play the blockbuster games at the G against Essendon, Carlton and Richmond. They also play there as the away aside against teams like Melbourne etc...so there you have it...it is just the way it is.
The draw will always be unfair on some when teams do not play each other twice.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

I was referring to the MCG issue......
They obviously get a good run...they only travel 4 times a year unlike most other Vic sides who travel 5 to 6 times a year.
I dont think we have much to whinge about....look at how Melbourne get treated.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

This great competition is a fracking embarassment. I try to explain to non-AFL supporters the intracies of the ficturing and they just walk away bemused

How can this competition be taken seriously until you have an even draw!!!

I mean think about it - imagine if you are Man Utd and you get to play extra home games against Wolves but only have to play Chelsea once??? How can anyone take the outcome seriously???

In my opinion, the following fixturing is our best best

1) Every club plays the other clubs once - 15 games (you alternate home games from one year to another thus keeping it reasonably fair)

2) Rounds 16 - 22 - Divisional Play Off Rounds - League Has 2 Divisions of 8 sides each. Each side playes each other team from within their Division - 7 Games. The Divisions remain the same thus creating divisional rvalries. They so not change from year to year.

TOTAL 22 GAmes

Finals

The Top 4 teams from each Disvision, based upon their total 22 round standings, are seeded 1-8 and play off in the finals using the current Final 8 format
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

This is my favoured solution to the draw anomalies. It involves us possibly relinquishing ANZAC day game some years.

Top 8 from previous year's result play each other twice. Bottom 8 from previous year's play each other twice. Top 8 from previous year's result play bottom 8 once.

So rounds 1 - 7 top 8 play each of the other sides that finished in the top 8 from prior year
bottom 8 play each of the other sides that finished in the bottom 8 from prior year
Rounds 8 - 15 top 8 play bottom 8
Rounds 16 - 22 top 8 play each of the other sides that finished in the top 8 from prior year
bottom 8 play each of the other sides that finished in the bottom 8 from prior year

The beauty of this is that you ensure everyone has played everyone in rounds 1 -15. The sides you play twice are based on the form from last year. It involves no tweaking to serve vested interests. Some years you might only have one derby or showdown. Some years you might only play the filth or the scum once. I see this as very fair.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

MH_Bomber wrote:This is my favoured solution to the draw anomalies. It involves us possibly relinquishing ANZAC day game some years.

Top 8 from previous year's result play each other twice. Bottom 8 from previous year's play each other twice. Top 8 from previous year's result play bottom 8 once.

So rounds 1 - 7 top 8 play each of the other sides that finished in the top 8 from prior year
Rounds 16 - 22 top 8 play each of the other sides that finished in the top 8 from prior year

The beauty of this is that you ensure everyone has played everyone in rounds 1 -15. The sides you play twice are based on the form from last year. It involves no tweaking to serve vested interests. Some years you might only have one derby or showdown. Some years you might only play the filth or the scum once. I see this as very fair.
Yep, that's a very good solution.

However, I think it's clubs like ourselves who would insist we play Carlton & Collingwood twice every year regardless of finishing positions. We would also insist on the blockbuster games that we have established over the years, and all of a sudden, you have a manipulated fixture with clubs demanding certain games on certain rounds...

But I agree with your idea.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

MH_Bomber wrote:This is my favoured solution to the draw anomalies. It involves us possibly relinquishing ANZAC day game some years.

I think the problem is that you will have a whole lot of shitty games involving the bottom 8 in the first third of the season - otherwise interesting - it almost like a seeding approach based on different stages of the season
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Hands up anyone who doesn't want Essendon to play Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond twice in a season?

Plus 16 just doesn't go into 22.

Traveling is overrated IMO. These are highly conditioned athletes. If they can't get over a game plus a couple of brief flights in a week the club isn't good enough.
Non-Victorian teams travel every second week.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.