Sheeds is Becoming a Bitter Old Man

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Sheeds is Becoming a Bitter Old Man

Post by Windy_Hill »

What is it in the water at Punt Road that turns former club legends into sarcastic, bitter old twats.

Although to be honest, I love Sheedy's comment that there hasnt been a decent coach at Richmond since Tom Hafey - which means there are 16 guys eating the breakfast this morning suddenly hating the red nosed, garden gnome from Prahran

Kevin Sheedy pulls the pin on Tigers' job
Jackie Epstein | July 12, 2009 12:00am

KEVIN Sheedy has withdrawn from the race to coach Richmond. The legendary coach, who earlier this month declared his interest, says he will walk away because he senses the club does not want him.

"The club's bigger than the individual," Sheedy said yesterday.

"At no stage would I really want to be coaching while Gary March is president. I didn't realise he had said on The Footy Show that I would not coach while he is there.

"I feel awkward that I've embarrassed myself and the club. I had not known that was said. I'm putting my hand down so I don't cause a revolution. I actually thought I'd be a revelation."

Sheedy was prepared to step into the role because with his experience he feels he can turn the club around.

Last Sunday he met Richmond's head of football Craig Cameron, but will now sit out the process.

"I would think it just paints a very ordinary picture on myself going into another Clayton's interview," Sheedy said.

"I think I'd probably be wasting my time like I did with Melbourne and it would take an enormous amount for me not to think that. I would not like to see that happen with Craig Cameron and Tony Free, who I respect."

Sheedy, who won four premierships during his 27-year tenure as coach at Essendon, was at the Sydney-Essendon game at the SCG yesterday.

He attended alongside the NSW premier and the AFL as they discussed plans for the new West Sydney team.

Since he spoke of his desire to coach again Sheedy has received overwhelming support from Richmond club greats Kevin Bartlett and Tom Hafey, as well as fans.

In a superfooty.com.au poll, 62 percent of almost 5000 votes, were in favour of Sheedy coaching the club.

"I just hope Richmond find a good coach," Sheedy said.

"They haven't had a top-class coach since Tom Hafey left in 1976. If they don't think they need an experienced coach, good luck to them."

Sheedy said suggestions that he is too old to coach at 61 were nonsensical. He has not shut the gate on coaching again.

"I could easily say give me a ring in two or three years I'll only still be a baby," Sheedy said.

"I can assure you if I was coaching Melbourne the last two years I would have done nearly the same as Dean Bailey and played as many young kids as I could.

"But because you're 59 and 60 those two years, it would have been the fault of when my mother had me."

Sheedy was overlooked for the Melbourne coaching position after he parted with the Bombers in 2007.

He was disillusioned by that process.

"The Melbourne interview was a total farce, with everywhere I went Craig Hutchison turning up," Sheedy said.

"It was obvious that Garry Lyon said this is where I'm going, this is what I'm doing. It was a Channel 9 soap opera.

"When you've been through that and clearly that's what happened, and most of those people aren't at Melbourne now, it was a waste of time
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Re: Sheeds is Becoming a Bitter Old Man

Post by boncer34 »

Why is he a bitter old man based on that article? Richmond dont want him so he's not wasting his time. I fail to see how that makes him bitter? March came out and said that, Sheeds didn't know but once he found out he pulled the pin. As for the Melbourne gig it was a farce, Hutchy was every where Sheeds was despite it supposedly being a "secret" meeting. Do you think Sheeds was the one leaking it to Hutchy? The leak came from Melbourne, ok maybe not Lyon but someone was feeding Hutchy information.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

boncer34 wrote:Why is he a bitter old man based on that article? Richmond dont want him so he's not wasting his time. I fail to see how that makes him bitter? March came out and said that, Sheeds didn't know but once he found out he pulled the pin. As for the Melbourne gig it was a farce, Hutchy was every where Sheeds was despite it supposedly being a "secret" meeting. Do you think Sheeds was the one leaking it to Hutchy? The leak came from Melbourne, ok maybe not Lyon but someone was feeding Hutchy information.

C'mon Bonce, read between the lines!!!! Its Sheedy having a dummy spit - sort of like taking his bat and going home. He doesnt feel wanted - yeah right. And his comment on the last 16 coaches, you dont think thats a bitter old fart having a go coz he is being over looked. Thats Sheedy saying even at 60 he's still a better option than that las 16 coaches!!! (He may be right but geez, keep it to yourself old man)

Nup, sorry Bonce, this article is dripping with self importance and self pity in equal measures.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

reading between the lines of that article, the real news is that sheedy has just been told, he is the man to model and do as he pleases with west sydney. I wouldnt be suprised if he puts himself in as the top job there.

sheeds aint bitter, but he is a realist.

i wonder if he was going for essendon or the swans. you'd hope the dons.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

tom9779 wrote:
i wonder if he was going for essendon or the swans. you'd hope the dons.
if it wasn't Essendon then all loyalty is just about gone in this sport...

i love the great man but yeah the article is a sookfest and one bit where he said "the club is bigger then the individual"... well overall that article didn't say that..
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

I think Sheeds is entitled to say what he thinks. Sheeds knows Lyon is not a Sheedy fan and hates Essendon, hence why Sheeds said what he did about the selection process. Hutchy is a twat and Lyon has no football success playing for a Club that has been a basket case since Barrassi went to play for Carlton.

As for Richmond - Sheeds is again on the money. They have been a basket case since their 81 GF loss. Tell me of their coaches - probably the only man I had respect for was John Northey. The rest including Walls were useless during their time.

It sounds like a cheap shot, but I'm not sure the game has been kind to Sheeds since he was ask to leave Essendon. The journo's are idiots like Caroline Wilson who use their media position to cast their opinion about a man who has outlasted all coaches in terms of longevity. Ultimately, Sheedy has a right to give his opinion when those people come out and give theirs.
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

dean baily being chosen over sheeds is laughable though. Demons supporters dont even like baily. dudes a joke.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Look, the bloke's a legend, we all know that. But unfortunately, his ego cannot accept that the game has passed him by. It's sad to see that he believes he has what it takes to win another flag as coach. It's sad to see the likes of Bartlett and Bourke push his barrow.

I don't think he's bitter. If he was, he'd be lashing out at the likes of Horsburgh and other Board members. He doesn't. He in fact turn up to Essendon functions & events, and still carries an EFC membership. He aint bitter.

What I'd like to know is why James Hird has snubbed the club....(or so it appears).
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:Look, the bloke's a legend, we all know that. But unfortunately, his ego cannot accept that the game has passed him by. It's sad to see that he believes he has what it takes to win another flag as coach. It's sad to see the likes of Bartlett and Bourke push his barrow.
This.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Geez Lloydy didnt hold back in his criticism of Sheeds in todays paper!!!!
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Will always be a fan of Sheeds and I think he's done the right thing by pulling out of the race for Richmond - I said from the start, the man is made for one of the new clubs. If they're not dead set on making the final eight in their first three seasons, take Sheeds to put some spin on the team and get some interest going. But he wont make them final contenders, not unless they can start off with some excellent cattle on the paddock.

In regards to him becoming bitter, I don't know if he was in this article but I do feel that he came across that way in another, when I read a quote of his "When Kevin Sheedy and Essendon are getting tired of each other", or something to that effect. That's not the way I remember it? [-X
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

The Arthur Fonzerelli of football - just can't say he was wwwwwrrrrrroooonnnnn.........

Think he may have 'jumped the shark' as well.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Windy_Hill wrote:Geez Lloydy didnt hold back in his criticism of Sheeds in todays paper!!!!
Truth is, another player told me exactly the same complaints about Sheedy's 'style' and the modern game etc just a few weeks after Sheedy left.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.