Hurley.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Re: Hurley.

Post by paddyl90 »

He excites me (not like that :wink:) I thought he was fantastic today! Mini fletcher :) Hope he has a lustrious career such as Fletcher.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

As good as Rich has been (if we hadnt have been lacking quality key defenders i think we would have drafted him) Hurley is going to be a star defender for many many years!!

A mature head on young shoulders. Looking forward to seeing how he goes against the Doggies. Good to see him get through the game injury free as well.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

He was the drum I was banging at draft time, and I'm bloody rapt we selected him. He's a bewt!
Essendunny
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Hmmm... what's his match-up against the doggies? Scott Welsh? Next week will be a big test with the Dogs' quick forward line and midfield foot skills.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

I agree he is all the makings of a great player. had one tough assignment on the weekend, O'loughlin on a good day. Knighta kept the faith in him.

next week against the doggies on the rebound. going to be another tough assignment. re andrew's comments tough to find a matchup against the dogs.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I think we have the backline sorted out with Hurley and Pears being the generals aroud which the smaller defenders will play. My concern is the forward line, we still dont have a long term solution for replacing Lucas and Lloyd. In someways, Gumby's injuries have been relatively well timed as he was always going to struggle for a game whilst the two 'L's' were still playing. I suppose the current succession plan is for Gumbleton and Neagle to eventually step up sooner or later. If not them, I guess you have players like Daniher and possibly Hooker to look at as Key Forwards
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Dunno whether he or Pears is going to end up the better player, but it doesn't matter as they'll both be very nice.

What makes it even sweeter is that we took Hurley ahead of Carlton when they had also earmarked him. They ended up with Yarran who looks like a potato so far, and their defence is still not worth a pinch of shit :D.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Windy_Hill wrote:I think we have the backline sorted out with Hurley and Pears being the generals aroud which the smaller defenders will play. My concern is the forward line, we still dont have a long term solution for replacing Lucas and Lloyd. In someways, Gumby's injuries have been relatively well timed as he was always going to struggle for a game whilst the two 'L's' were still playing. I suppose the current succession plan is for Gumbleton and Neagle to eventually step up sooner or later. If not them, I guess you have players like Daniher and possibly Hooker to look at as Key Forwards
Windy, do you think there is an issue with Pears/Hurley's pace off the mark?

O'Loughlin on the lead highlighted it a few times saturday. evergreen fletch needed to be moved onto him I think at one point.

prob something all teams have to contend with i guess, i'd hope Hurley for example just to back himself and just tell the coach where he wants to play. the kid is such a sublime kick of the footy.

Hooker and Pears otherwise look made for the backline, Hurls could prob play forward or back.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

tom9779 wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:I think we have the backline sorted out with Hurley and Pears being the generals aroud which the smaller defenders will play. My concern is the forward line, we still dont have a long term solution for replacing Lucas and Lloyd. In someways, Gumby's injuries have been relatively well timed as he was always going to struggle for a game whilst the two 'L's' were still playing. I suppose the current succession plan is for Gumbleton and Neagle to eventually step up sooner or later. If not them, I guess you have players like Daniher and possibly Hooker to look at as Key Forwards

O'Loughlin on the lead highlighted it a few times saturday. evergreen fletch needed to be moved onto him I think at one point.

prob something all teams have to contend with i guess, i'd hope Hurley for example just to back himself and just tell the coach where he wants to play. the kid is such a sublime kick of the footy.

Hooker and Pears otherwise look made for the backline, Hurls could prob play forward or back.
You know Tom, I think a leading forward is always going to get the jump on a defender, no matter what the pace diferences may be. . I reckon it comes down to how well the defender reads the play, how he positions his body in relation to where the ball is and his opponent is. How often do you see Fletcher with is back to the ball, watching the forward's body motion? Silvagni was never a fast full back and he managed ok. I think its the one position on the ground where the more you play it the better you get through simply learning the art form.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Windy_Hill wrote:
tom9779 wrote:

You know Tom, I think a leading forward is always going to get the jump on a defender, no matter what the pace diferences may be. . I reckon it comes down to how well the defender reads the play, how he positions his body in relation to where the ball is and his opponent is. How often do you see Fletcher with is back to the ball, watching the forward's body motion? Silvagni was never a fast full back and he managed ok. I think its the one position on the ground where the more you play it the better you get through simply learning the art form.
yar v good point. o'loughlin played out of his skin for them as well and is very quick off the mark. I like the kid a lot. expecting to see a lot of 22s on the back of young kids at the footy next couple of years you'd reckon.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Not much that a defender can do if the ball is delivered lace out and never goes above eye height. Noone would have stopped O'Loughlin on those occasions. Liked his spoils and tackling, thought he was a little indecisive with the ball in his hands at times. Still, looks the goods. I think Pears will be the better of the two but I think they'll both be very, very good.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I think we will keep Hurley in the back line with Hooker and Pears in the future. Daniher will have to be the one that will have to play forward. We still have a lot of potential key forwards for when the two L's retire... Neagle, Gumbleton, Laycock (yes Chook if he is still around, they were talking about him yesterday on the radio as a potential key forward) and Daniher.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Cannot believe how quickly Pears has come on in the last 5-6 games. For a kid, he is cool under fire and already looks like he belongs. Get a similar number of games into Hurls and we can believe that the backline is in good hands for several years to come.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

for an 18yr old in his rookie season and in his second game, he looks very good out there.

We have got ourselves a player for sure here. He and Pears look the goods.

The emergence of these 2 as true key defenders has extended fletches career I believe maybe 2 more seasons. Fletch still has his speed and skill. Fletch off the flank or as third tall, QBing from defense...no worries.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I very exclite!

I'm loving Hurley and Pears (and Hooker).

Daniher will have to play as a forward if he is to get a regular game.

Hurls may be a little slow off the mark, but when he ran through the ground he didn't look slow.
Pears is quick (for a big guy).
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Dunno whether he or Pears is going to end up the better player, but it doesn't matter as they'll both be very nice.

What makes it even sweeter is that we took Hurley ahead of Carlton when they had also earmarked him. They ended up with Yarran who looks like a potato so far, and their defence is still not worth a pinch of shit :D.
Haha, a potato! :lol:
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Looking forward to finally seeing him play live :)
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

j-mac31 wrote:
I very exclite!

Geez is that Borat speaking?? :P
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:Looking forward to finally seeing him play live :)
Can't f***** wait!
Windy_Hill wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
I very exclite!

Geez is that Borat speaking?? :P
Hi-fiive!
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

HURLEY IS A GOOD BOY!!!!!