H. Slattery please note

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
hop
Club Captain

H. Slattery please note

Post by hop »

When on the last line of defence - watch the football as it is coming in - not your opponent(s).

For reference please view the game tapes of one D. Fletcher.

BTW - start playing like a bloke who is 186cm (or 6'2" in the old) and not a bloke who is two-foot timid.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Re: H. Slattery please note

Post by robrulz5 »

I thought Slatts had a good third quarter.

Hurley also seemed to watch his opponent instead of the ball. Towards the end of the third quarter Hurley should have taken an uncontested mark, instead of going for the ball he looked for where his opponent was who was behind him. His opponent took a mark and kicked a goal. He also left the ball for Lucas at one stage when he shoud have went and got it himself. He seems to react to what the opposition do instead of going and getting the ball himself. He is only young and hopefully he grows out of it.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

25 disposals and keeping Nathan Brown quiet not good enough?

Far more junk out there than him I'm afraid.
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Slattery had his best game of the year. Forced his way out of my dog-house today. Just as well though, it's getting crowded.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robbie67 wrote:Slattery had his best game of the year. Forced his way out of my dog-house today. Just as well though, it's getting crowded.
:lol:
Essendunny
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Slattery wasn't our worst. I reckon most of the backline did ok. Fletch was his usual reliable self. Pears & Hurley both tried hard but looked a bit overwhelmed. Dempsey & McPhee both tried to create off half back (with the usual quota of brain farts from McPhee). Hooker was ok when used down back too.

Midfield was also ok, though Watson clearly not 100% fit and both McVeigh and Welsh seemed to have their mind elsewhere.

The real problem was the forward line. This used to be our great strength 5-10 years ago, with Lloyd, Lucas & Hird. But now it is fast becoming our glaring weakness. How many times this year have we dominated general play but failed to convert on the scoreboard? Having lots of runners streaming down the ground with dozens of handballs might look good and might boost the stats, but in the end the game is won and lost on the SCOREBOARD.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

BenDoolan wrote:25 disposals and keeping Nathan Brown quiet not good enough?

Far more junk out there than him I'm afraid.
Lies, damn lies and statistics - quick gives in packs do add up.
My mum could keep Nathan Brown quiet these days.

Still you're absolutely right B.D. - there was a lot of junk out there.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

f****** hell. Slatts led the team for tackles and contested possessions (8 a piece), made no errors, was second for disposals with 25 at 88% effectiveness and smashed his direct opponent. He was one of the only blokes that I saw lay a shepherd all game. If you didn't rate his game then you weren't watching. Has been in great form for two months. He's not as flashy as the others but there is a good reason that his name is one of the first on the team sheet these days.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

andrewb wrote:f****** hell. Slatts led the team for tackles and contested possessions (8 a piece), made no errors, was second for disposals with 25 at 88% effectiveness and smashed his direct opponent. He was one of the only blokes that I saw lay a shepherd all game. If you didn't rate his game then you weren't watching. Has been in great form for two months. He's not as flashy as the others but there is a good reason that his name is one of the first on the team sheet these days.
Then why is it that I cringe whenever he gets the ball...he is usually just as bad as McPhee when it comes to decision making if not worse (and I know which of the two I'd pick first and his initials ain't HS).
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

He was good yesterday, made some mistakes but was much better than in some weeks this year.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Played okay yesterday....but his indecision continues to cost us goals. There were a few times in the last 5 minutes of the game, when he got the ball, he didnt move it onto loose players in the midfield....one in particular when Prismall was standing all alone on the wing. If Prismall had of got that ball he could have run it to the 50.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Thought that was the best game I have seen Henry play. And also a rap for Hooker. Looked more like a ruckman than at any stage in the past.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Yep. Henry sure cops a bad wrap from our supporters. People are forgetting how easy they got it through the middle of the ground. There was no pressure put on the kicker all day long. Our defenders did okay considering, particularly Hank. Well done... I love how defenders have to bust a nut to spoil and chase, when blokes in the middle can just jog along barely giving a rats...

:wink:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

swoodley wrote:
andrewb wrote:f****** hell. Slatts led the team for tackles and contested possessions (8 a piece), made no errors, was second for disposals with 25 at 88% effectiveness and smashed his direct opponent. He was one of the only blokes that I saw lay a shepherd all game. If you didn't rate his game then you weren't watching. Has been in great form for two months. He's not as flashy as the others but there is a good reason that his name is one of the first on the team sheet these days.
Then why is it that I cringe whenever he gets the ball...he is usually just as bad as McPhee when it comes to decision making if not worse (and I know which of the two I'd pick first and his initials ain't HS).
Is he? I'm never confident when he gets it, but I'm sure he doesn't turn it over so regularly like McPhee.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.