Are we going to win another game this year?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.

Poll ended at Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:19 pm

Yes
57%
No - the junk has left the station. Choo chooooooooooooooooo!
43%

Total votes: 28

gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Me thinks not.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Re: Are we going to win another game this year?

Post by robrulz5 »

Going on the last 2 weeks- no.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

i did yes as we can't possibly get beat by freo could we?
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

Freo beat West Coast
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I reckon "no"

I think the young kids will be mentally drained after the last couple of weeks, and could well and truly drop off for the rest of the season. Unless of course, the so called LEADERS come out to play and show some damn leadership for once.
Essendunny
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

apparantly Fletcher isn't happy at all, surely if anyone is respected around the club it's him.... thats the only way i see us winning again
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

f*** me dead.

Of course they will.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

I hope we do. [-o<

I know we can. =D>

I doubt we will. :(

They will really need to pull something out of their collective ar$e to win another.

Hawthorn remains the important game now. Because it's Hawthorn.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

I still think if we win this week, we are a chance to make finals :lol: I promisie you this is my last week of optimism!!!! We can beat Lions & Freo and can knock off Hawks. Imagine if we beat the saints, now that is stupidity :) but who knows. All we need is to find the form we used to have and we can sneak in. Hope that this post annoyed someone :lol:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Staggy wrote:f*** me dead.

Of course they will.
Against who?

Brisbane? Yeah sure.....J. Brown to break Fred Fanning's record

St.Kilda? Scratch.

Freo? Like we did so well at Subi on Sunday....

Hawthorn? Scratch.....Frankiln to break the record Brown set 3 weeks prior
Essendunny
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

BenDoolan wrote:

Of course they will.
Against who?

St.Kilda? Scratch.

Hahahaha.

We will no doubt play some good football at some stage over the next month, but can we put four good quarters together in a row, such that we win a game? I think our best chance of a win is this week against Brisbane at the MCG.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Difficult to answer. Depends on which side shows up.
If the same crap side shows up that has played the last 2 weeks, then no way we will come within a bull's roar of beating anyone. If, on the other hand, the young spirited side that knocked off Carlton twice in the one season somehow miraculously returns, we could win EVERY game!

Why are we so inconsistent? Everyone seems to just brush this off with the excuse that "oh well, it's a young side", but I don't find that argument convincing at all. Why does being young make you inconsistent? Someone please explain the logic to me (if there is any). Or, the other argument used which to me makes even less sense is "oh well, they're young, so they get tired towards the end of the year". Why? Isn't it more logical that OLDER bodies would get tired towards the end of the year?

When we were the "Baby Bombers" in the late 70s and early 80s, I don't remember teenaged Watson, Vander, Hawker, Neagle, Heard etc getting "tired" towards the end of the season. Yet we use this excuse for people like Stanton, who is already into his twenties!? And, what's more, these days they are all supposedly professional athletes who train for almost the entire year, whereas then they were essentially part-timers. I know many of you will tell me the game has changed and it is much faster now blah blah but also there is a 4 man interchange now! I still can't possibly see how it is logical for a YOUNGER team to tire more easily as the season goes on.

Rant over.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

billyduckworth wrote:Difficult to answer. Depends on which side shows up.
If the same crap side shows up that has played the last 2 weeks, then no way we will come within a bull's roar of beating anyone. If, on the other hand, the young spirited side that knocked off Carlton twice in the one season somehow miraculously returns, we could win EVERY game!

Why are we so inconsistent? Everyone seems to just brush this off with the excuse that "oh well, it's a young side", but I don't find that argument convincing at all. Why does being young make you inconsistent? Someone please explain the logic to me (if there is any). Or, the other argument used which to me makes even less sense is "oh well, they're young, so they get tired towards the end of the year". Why? Isn't it more logical that OLDER bodies would get tired towards the end of the year?

When we were the "Baby Bombers" in the late 70s and early 80s, I don't remember teenaged Watson, Vander, Hawker, Neagle, Heard etc getting "tired" towards the end of the season. Yet we use this excuse for people like Stanton, who is already into his twenties!? And, what's more, these days they are all supposedly professional athletes who train for almost the entire year, whereas then they were essentially part-timers. I know many of you will tell me the game has changed and it is much faster now blah blah but also there is a 4 man interchange now! I still can't possibly see how it is logical for a YOUNGER team to tire more easily as the season goes on.

Rant over.
Yes, well said.

I think the bottom line is we are shit. And we've been shit for past seven years. And the way things are going we'll be shit for quite a few more years yet.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

You've been waiting all year to say that you f****** weak fair weather supporter. How would you know what we're like when you dont even sit through games?
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

boncer34 wrote:You've been waiting all year to say that you f****** weak fair weather supporter. How would you know what we're like when you dont even sit through games?
I think I've been very encouraging in the majority of my posts regarding Essendon this year. I've changed my view on Watson, Ryder and Winderlich and even offered praise for the likes of Monfries and Dyson on occassion. I've defended Lloyd when others have hung him out to dry and generally been of the view that the club is heading in the right direction.

The fact remains though that we are in this business to make finals. We'll be missing out this year once again. Regardless, perhaps "shit" is a little too strong a word to describe the team at the moment. I won't use that word again until I see how we go in our final four games. However, the losses to Richmond and the West Coast are as bad as the club has had over the past three or four years, so some colourful language should be excused.

As far as being a fair weather supporter - most of my criticism of the team is in the face of some moronic comments from one eyed supporters on this site. Filthy, for example, has attributed our recent poor form to the standard of the umpiring in the game against the Dogs. Now, Filthy can't be held responsible for a lot of what he writes for previsouly mentioned reasons, but there's no point dancing around the point that we still, unforunately, have quite a way to go.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

BenDoolan wrote:

Of course they will.
Against who?

St.Kilda? Scratch.

They'll beat the Dockers, and they'll be a chance to beat Hawthorn, presuming that they will have put the cue in the rack by then.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Well,Funny enough ESSENDON have to Win exactly the same as PERTH in the WAFL to have some chance.

Not confident for the former,but the latter,I'm sweet mate.

But GOD,PLEASE NO,DON'T lose to the DORKERS.I couldn't bear it. [-o< #-o :-&
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

i hate to say it but with Lloyd and Lucas out, we have a chance. The old boys are just not contributing enough and probably stopping Neagle from really opening up

I think we will beat Freo and Bris