Lovett-Murray on drugs charge

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
dom_105
Club Captain

Lovett-Murray on drugs charge

Post by dom_105 »

Press conference at 4pm, that's all I know.

Anybody got an idea?
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Re: Lovett-Murray on drugs charge

Post by boncer34 »

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2009/ ... 39394.html

All here Dom, you just beat me to it.

Cops raided his home and found 1, yeah thats right 1, ecstacy tablet. NLM has said he'll willing submit to any blood/urine/hair tests that the cops want to do. More or less he's proclaiming his innocence and the club is behind him 100%.
Last edited by boncer34 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Essendon player Nathan Lovett-Murray has been charged with possession of drugs as a result of a raid on his Essendon home on Monday.
Lovett-Murray, who is one of Essendon’s most respected players and a leader among its indigenous contingent, has been charged with possession of a drug of dependency, after a police search yesterday found a single tablet of ecstacy at his home.

The charging of Lovett-Murray, who maintains his innocence, is believed to be connected with another police investigation in which his brother, Dane Lovett-Murray, and a cousin, Robert Knight, were charged with drug-related offences following a search at another premise on Friday.

Lovett-Murray has told police that he is willing to submit to blood or urine tests in a bid to clear his name. He has been released from police custody and a court date has been set for October.

His manager Peter Jess told the Age today: ’’He is happy to submit to any drug test - blood, urine or anything.’’ Jess said his client was very much surprised by the charges. Jess said Lovett-Murray did not drink or take drugs. ’’He doesn’t drink, smoke and is very much against drugs.’’

Lovett-Murray is strongly involved in supporting indigenous causes and is regarded as a role model at the club.

Essendon, which is expected to hold a media conference this afternoon, club is standing behind the player, believing he is entitled to a presumption on innocence.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

A drug raid for 1 tablet?

Your tax dollars at work, right there.
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

Obviously not performance-enhancing. :P
Bleeding for the red and black
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

This is an interesting story

wtf are the cops doing raiding a well known member of the communities house and just getting one pill?

Was there a tip off and if there was surely they would be going to the club first I mean you know I could easily ring the cops and say that Alan Didak was dealing drugs out of his home. Fair chance they would find something contraband there.

Sounds a bit off to me?
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Seems like his family were the reason for NLM home being raided.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Considering Nathan's standing in the community it seems very out of character for him to be using drugs. I hope that just because he is an AFL player that the police dont just drag him into it and tarnish his reputation.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

What I'd do, if I was him. Do a drug test, straightaway. Blood, hair, urine, saliva, the works. Do it through the club, and keep it hush hush. Don't tell the playing group, don't tell the coaches. Just him, his manager, and the medical staff. If he is clean, come out and do a big song and dance about it. If something does come up, then treat him as they would if he was on his first strike.

Obviously, drug possession does not mean that you are a drug user, especially in this situation when there was only one of said drug. But the court of public opinion thinks differently.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

I'd be fairly confident that the pill wasn't his. There are players you can see doing it, but he would be the last person I would expect.

His family on the other hand, sound like they have some issues. Could have been from one of them.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

WTF only 1 .... yes ONE pill. Though I'm pretty sure it was'nt his.

Seems like the cops are after some big noting, geez if they arrested every one with an ekky pill or a joint half of Melbournes under 25's would be in the slammer.

What a joke.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

heard this this afternoon but only now found out it was for a single pill and by the sounds of it he didn't take any.... geeze from what ive been told more often then not people with less then 10 pills on their person that get caught out clubbing or where ever get them confiscated and told to bugger off no more questions... so this is out of proportions a bit i think!

good luck to him and good to hear the club is behind him 100%
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Hmmm, I hadn't heard a damn thing all day. Didn't even have the radio on in teh car on the way home from work (CD playing), and when I went past Windy Hill and saw the C9 news crew at the front entrance to the club I thought "something's up". I starting thinking that Knights has announced his defection and it will be on the evening news. Then this...

As I understand it, NLM was in Perth when the police found the tablet. Not sure why he's being charged if others live at the house...
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Not sure what to think just yet.I guess sit tight and wait,though if I said that on FOOTYGOSS,I'd get POUNCED ON.That is given my CONSTANT BAGGING of WEST COAST'S ROTTEN OFF-FIELD Culture in days gone by.

I'm not that wrapped about JESS being his Manager though.He can sound like a WHINGING So and so at the SLIGHTEST INJUSTICE,which this just might be,but given that past,the Negativity may rub off on NLM.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Can only be one of 2 explanations - they're attempting to flush someone out by embarrassing a community leader or they are just being racist.

One 'eccy' found in his abode when he wasn't at home (while they know that his house is shared with family and friends) and a failure to renew his licence. :roll:

Gee I'm glad we had the media circus at Windy Hill. This bloke shood be put on a rotting hulk in the middle of Port Phillip Bay or at least put in the stocks for public ridicule!!!!

The cops have clearly been watch and waiting - part of an operation evidently.

Pity they haven't been so vigilent with Collo, Pratt, Elliot, Didak, Fevola, The cloke and Shaw families, Carey, Everett, etc etc etc etc etc
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
DONISBEST
Top Up Player

Post by DONISBEST »

I heard a rumour a Collingwood supporter was seen running away from his house just before the cops rolled up.
They new he was a Collingwood supporter by the missing teeth.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Fun and games over at Bigfooty.

The tosser West Coast and Carlton supporters are having a field day. They are suggesting that this is evidence that he is either as big a junkie as Ben Cousins or that he is a high level drug dealer (they are actually using the fact the cops could only find one tablet as evidence he is a higher level dealer because he ust be out of stock at the moment.

Isn't it surprising that the two clubs with the most corrupt criminal cultures are sticking it to another club because low a behold a player was found to be in possession of one tablet of ecstasy. It would be laughable if the morons weren't so serious.

The morons also are confusing him with Andrew Lovett, I guess black people all look the same to them.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ealesy wrote:Fun and games over at Bigfooty.

The tosser West Coast and Carlton supporters are having a field day. They are suggesting that this is evidence that he is either as big a junkie as Ben Cousins or that he is a high level drug dealer (they are actually using the fact the cops could only find one tablet as evidence he is a higher level dealer because he ust be out of stock at the moment.

Isn't it surprising that the two clubs with the most corrupt criminal cultures are sticking it to another club because low a behold a player was found to be in possession of one tablet of ecstasy. It would be laughable if the morons weren't so serious.

The morons also are confusing him with Andrew Lovett, I guess black people all look the same to them.
I want to clear this up because I have heard very little about the facts of this story - was he found in possession of the tablet or was it found at his home while he was in Perth? Two entirely different matters.
Essendunny
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Not sure, but I'm pretty sure that under the law, if he owns the house he can be charged with possession even if he was interstate and others live with him.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

if thats the case ealsey i wont ever let anyone in my house again. surley thats not a law?