Team vs Brisbane

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Re: Team vs Brisbane

Post by robrulz5 »

This is the future. The forward line will have to do without Lloyd and Lucas for good in a couple of years. I like that Neagle is going to get some space.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

To be honest, I think this is one of the better teams we have listed all year.

Other than Lovett and Winderlich - here is the future.

Losing Lloyd, Lucas, Welsh is really no blow given their current form

I am really looking forward to seeing how Hurley and Neagle go without the 'Two L's' in the way
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

BenDoolan wrote:Myers no, Quinn yes. Strange.

I think the cue stick has well and truly been put back in the rack.
Cue stick, triangle and chalk. She's done.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

I'm with Windy.

The other thought is that we shouldn't be short on for pace. Hopefully we can run out 4 quarters.

Brown and Bradshaw will kick at least 10 between them. The question is - how many will come from frees?
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Not disappointed about the team - certainly pacy ... but concerned about the lack of a 2nd ruck option. Suspect that Hooker will come in for another player - otherwise ???

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

clap clap...finally Houli getting a crack.

I actually dont mind the team at all.

Lucas was a liability, Hurely and Neagle will serve us much better. Davey back is great(regardless of his haters) he does more without the ball than any other player in the comp. Plus he does do some handy stuff when he has it too.

Welsh is KING of turnover.

If we can do well in the midfield we are in with a shot.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

DC wrote:If we can do well in the midfield we are in with a shot.
I have been saying this virtually every week...

If you watch the games where we have lost badly, it seems to start in our midfield...they lose confidence in themselves and end up going backwards or at best sideways, miss targets and fumble everything in sight. This creates turnovers and this also stops our forwards getting clean ball and makes it easier for defences to swamp our leading forwards because it takes an eternity to get from the HBF to CHF...

I give us half a chance, but the boys have to turn up like they did against the Swans and not like they have the last 3 painful weeks...
juff
Top Up Player

Post by juff »

DC wrote:clap clap...finally Houli getting a crack.

Lucas was a liability, Hurely and Neagle will serve us much better. Davey back is great(regardless of his haters) he does more without the ball than any other player in the comp. Plus he does do some handy stuff when he has it too.

I was having some disturbing visions of 22 players in the red and black bleeding from their anuses on Sat night, but maybe you're right. Some of those outs have been poor lately and we might actually do better with younger fresher legs who are more willing and able to follow the new game plan.

We live in hope.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Strange comment. I don't know anyone who supports this club who "hates" Alwyn Davey. Some may be a bit disappointed with his form, but I'd guarantee that everyone loves the bloke.
Essendunny
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

dude thats just wrong.....
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I don't hate Davey but he is in the side as a forward and forwards are supposed to kick goals...he doesn't do that and whilst I applaud his defensive pressure....he is not picked to tackle people...he is picked to kick goals.

Welsh has had a few bad games which is understandable given the injury he is coming back from...generally his disposal is quite good.

Before bagging Scotty too much, let's wait and see how Hurley goes as a forward. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sent back and McPhee play forward.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Glad to see Houli picked, he deserves his spot.

Can I be horrible and ask what the club sees in Quinn? He worries me I'm afraid.

Cale Hooker does need a rest as his form had dropped over the past few weeks but he did give plenty.

Don't think we'll win, but hopefully we'll see our boy have a good crack at it.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Don't know why Atkinson and Quinn got a gig before Myers, Jetta or Daniher. For that matter I don't know why Mcviegh did either. I admire Quinn for the effort he puts in, always 100%, but he still need to develop his skills.

These three guys have been performing well at Bendigo for weeks now. I am quite perplexed to be honest. Rings of the Sheedy days when selection was all over the place.

At least Houli has finally been given a game. Bellchambers must be close. He was very good once again on the weekend. Paddy needs some help.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

The selections certainly are a bit "mysterious". Depending on how much you believe in conspiracy theories, have we "put the cue back in the rack" (as someone suggested), are we trying to see the future (especially on the forward line), are we trying to see what trade value we can get for Houli, Quinn, Atkinson because we've already decided to delist them at the end of the year? Who knows!?

I don't mind the idea of no Lucas no Lloyd so let's see what the future brings. Gives Neagle a real chance to show us what he can do but not sure who is going to support him. McPhee???

No Jetta or Myers is a bit odd. Are these two out of favour? If so, why?

No Bellchambers or Daniher is also VERY odd, given no Lloyd, Lucas or Hooker. We are going in VERY small and have to keep our fingers VERY crossed that Paddy can run out the entire game.

Oh well, let's just see. I'm going anyway (not sure why, suppose it just proves I love my red and black no matter what).
Don't expect us to win but hope that we at least have a red hot go and FOR 4QUARTERS, not just five minutes here and there!!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

i think McPhee is a MUST in the forward line this week, simple as that, Neagle FF, McPhee/Hurley CHF and stay there

where's Zaharakis? is he injured?
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Jazz_84 wrote:i think McPhee is a MUST in the forward line this week, simple as that, Neagle FF, McPhee/Hurley CHF and stay there

where's Zaharakis? is he injured?
McPhee has been particularly good in the marking contests this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see him start up forward either... But I'd like to see Hurley get a couple of weeks (at least) in that position, just to see how he goes. Could be a good backup if Gumby doesn't come good next year. Obviously the rest of the year is about testing our talent, not playing finals eh?... The ins this week pretty much reflect this...

Didn't Zaharakis do a leg injury a few weeks back? Calf strain?

Reckon we're in for a good old fashioned arse-kicking. But regardless....

Carna Dons!!!

=D>
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

What's with the Quinn hate? There's no relation to our high performance manager, you know. He's done remarkably well for a bloke that hasn't kicked a footy and I've got faith that the selection committee are picking him on form, not favour. Will provide some excitement and run - looking forward to seeing him out there.

Jetta is learning a new position in the twos (playing in the back line) and Myers is still struggling to run out games for Bendigo - is having great first halves and then fading. Seems like the glandular fever knocked him around pretty bad.

Good team all things considered - no backup for Ryder required if they're using Brennan as their second ruck. Will miss Lovett and Winderlich's run but we should put on a good show.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

swoodley wrote:I don't hate Davey but he is in the side as a forward and forwards are supposed to kick goals...he doesn't do that and whilst I applaud his defensive pressure....he is not picked to tackle people...he is picked to kick goals.
He contributes 1.5 goals a game and that is not including those from turnovers directly related to his forward pressure.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Sismis wrote:
swoodley wrote:I don't hate Davey but he is in the side as a forward and forwards are supposed to kick goals...he doesn't do that and whilst I applaud his defensive pressure....he is not picked to tackle people...he is picked to kick goals.
He contributes 1.5 goals a game and that is not including those from turnovers directly related to his forward pressure.
According to this link, he has kicked 13 goals from 17 games this year and "contributed" to 1.5 goals per game. So he has kicked 0.8 goals per game which isn't very good for a small crumbing forward.

However you look at it, he needs to kick more goals to maintain his place in the team.

Shit, if all our forwards contributed 0.8 goals per game, we wouldn't be winning too many games :roll:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-e ... lwyn-davey
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

He contributes 1.5 a game which is ordinary. He averages over 4 tackles a game which is extraordinary. His forward pressure is close to the best in the league, just having him around causes defensive errors due to his pressure.

Not to mention the ammount of times he reverses the tide of play by catching a player in the midfeild.

His place in the team is rock solid.