Essendon vs St Kilda Pre-Match Discussion

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Re: Essendon vs St Kilda Pre-Match Discussion

Post by Jazz_84 »

with the exception of Carlton and Collingwood, doesn't matter who you support as long as your capable of having a decent conversation about footy, then it's ok. and i left Port supporters out because well it's just understood that they don't have any decent supporters...

good luck mate, Saints are my bet and my hope.
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

Jazz_84 wrote:with the exception of Carlton and Collingwood, doesn't matter who you support as long as your capable of having a decent conversation about footy, then it's ok. and i left Port supporters out because well it's just understood that they don't have any decent supporters...

good luck mate, Saints are my bet and my hope.
Spot on. A bit of stirring is good fun, but underneath it you still respect the fact that other supporters are just as passionate about their team as you are about yours, whether they've won one flag or sixteen. Thanks for the good wishes.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I absolutely hate Geelong ATM, but I think I would rather they win that St Kilda.
Some of my reasons:
My dad "barracks" for St Kilda. :roll:
So many other people "have a soft spot for them" because they've been shit. f*** off. It's their own fault they've been so shit for so long and no one deserves a premiership at all, let alone one for being perennially shit.
St Kilda supporters already ringing up SEN banging on about how they've been starved of success for all/most of their lifetime and how good this year's been - haven't won anything yet!
Milne.
Montagna.
Reiwoldt.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

j-mac31 wrote:I absolutely hate Geelong ATM, but I think I would rather they win that St Kilda.
Some of my reasons:
So many other people "have a soft spot for them" because they've been shit. f*** off. It's their own fault they've been so shit for so long and no one deserves a premiership at all, let alone one for being perennially shit.
St Kilda supporters already ringing up SEN banging on about how they've been starved of success for all/most of their lifetime and how good this year's been - haven't won anything yet!
Milne.
Montagna.
Reiwoldt.
I don't think any reasonable Saints fan thinks that we "deserve' a flag just become we've had so little success. It has to be earned with hard work and spirit. I can understand where people are coming from re being starved of success. It's a fact. We have been. There's plenty of us who have been life long Saints fans and wouldn't dream of shifting allegiance so it's been a long road. Yep. We've been shit. Yep. It's been our own fault. But cut us a little farkin' compassion because for lots of us lifelong members and supporters who've kept on signing up and going to games when we were absolute shyte, we haven't known a premiership in our lifetime. So it's just a bit bloody exciting at the mo.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

visiting saint wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:I absolutely hate Geelong ATM, but I think I would rather they win that St Kilda.
Some of my reasons:
Milne.
Montagna.
Reiwoldt.
I don't think any reasonable Saints fan thinks that we "deserve' a flag just become we've had so little success. It has to be earned with hard work and spirit. I can understand where people are coming from re being starved of success. It's a fact. We have been. There's plenty of us who have been life long Saints fans and wouldn't dream of shifting allegiance so it's been a long road. Yep. We've been shit. Yep. It's been our own fault. But cut us a little farkin' compassion because for lots of us lifelong members and supporters who've kept on signing up and going to games when we were absolute shyte, we haven't known a premiership in our lifetime. So it's just a bit bloody exciting at the mo.
Even after 16, the passion doesn't wear off when you are a position like you guys are atm...that said, I can only hope that we get ahead of the Scum and if you guys have to win this season to prevent that happening, that will be most suitable to me :mrgreen:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

visiting saint wrote:Thanks for the good wishes guys. And here was I thinking that most Bombers fans genuinely hate us :lol: :lol:
Are you telling me that you have a soft spot for the Saints underneath it all? :shock: :shock:
I pretty confident though that we can all agree to hate the lowlife cheating criminals from cardboard park.

Underneath our particular allegiances we're all pretty much the same. We grew up supporting and loving our particular club and just passionately want them to do well.
And FFS don't go mentioning pinging hammies and Kosi's lack of peripheral vision. Fingers, toes, legs, everything - firmly crossed. So far so good.

Stryper - I think that leaving the guns out last week was just a clear statement from the Saints about their intentions. They were saying that they don't care about records or streaks. They have one and only one clear objective. Everything is done with that objective in mind. Simple.
Well, this has to be the year for you guys. Anything else would be catastrophic. If it all pans out as expected, Ross Lyon would go down as another recent coach to have success while he didn't experience any during his playing days. And that's fine by me, because I don't subscribe to the theory that coaches must come from successful playing careers.

I remember discussing with you my criticisms of Saint Nicholas was that he never really stood up when the club needed him most (Preliminary Finals of the past). Now is his opportunity, with a well primed team around him, to stamp his authority and announce himself as a REAL champion of the game a la Carey, Ablett, Brereton, Hird, Lloyd, J. Brown etc who have stamped their names as top finals performers.
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Glad to see the mutual respect for the cheating knts from Princess Park.

I would now like to see Juddy address the Parliament with a 30 minute presentation on his green credentials and plan to save the world. What a load of crap!!

Perhaps we could arrange for David Calthorpe to be appointed Minister for Obesity. At least he is an expert on the subject!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

visiting saint wrote:
Crazyman wrote:
visiting saint wrote:Thanks for the good wishes guys. And here was I thinking that most Bombers fans genuinely hate us :lol: :lol:

don't worry VS...we still hate St Faildya...it is just we seem to hate the other teams fighting for finals that little bit more :wink: :lol:
Yep. That's more like it. St. Faildya. Noice. haven't heard that one before. :roll:
Whether you've heard it before or not doesn't make it any less funny. :lol: :wink:
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

Ossie wrote:
don't worry VS...we still hate St Faildya...it is just we seem to hate the other teams fighting for finals that little bit more :wink: :lol:
Yep. That's more like it. St. Faildya. Noice. haven't heard that one before. :roll:[/quote]

Whether you've heard it before or not doesn't make it any less funny. :lol: :wink:[/quote]

Oh yes. You are so right. I laughed my arse off big time. vingertje vingertje vingertje
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

BenDoolan wrote:
visiting saint wrote: Well, this has to be the year for you guys. Anything else would be catastrophic. If it all pans out as expected, Ross Lyon would go down as another recent coach to have success while he didn't experience any during his playing days. And that's fine by me, because I don't subscribe to the theory that coaches must come from successful playing careers.

I remember discussing with you my criticisms of Saint Nicholas was that he never really stood up when the club needed him most (Preliminary Finals of the past). Now is his opportunity, with a well primed team around him, to stamp his authority and announce himself as a REAL champion of the game a la Carey, Ablett, Brereton, Hird, Lloyd, J. Brown etc who have stamped their names as top finals performers.
You're spot on. It would be a catastrophe for us Saints fans if the boys didn't go all the way from here.
Riewoldt's been enormous this year. He's been in the coaches votes week after week and has really led from the front. But it will all mean sfa if we can't go all the way. When the heat's really on and the big games are there to be won, then the real champions stand up. Agree with you that for Roo to take the step into the truly elite he needs to do this at the pointy end of the year when everything's on the line. And I'm hoping like hell that he will.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

visiting saint wrote: You're spot on. It would be a catastrophe for us Saints fans if the boys didn't go all the way from here.
Riewoldt's been enormous this year. He's been in the coaches votes week after week and has really led from the front. But it will all mean sfa if we can't go all the way. When the heat's really on and the big games are there to be won, then the real champions stand up. Agree with you that for Roo to take the step into the truly elite he needs to do this at the pointy end of the year when everything's on the line. And I'm hoping like hell that he will.
Do you think Riewoldt learnt a bit from playing on James Hird? In the early 00's I remember in quite a few games they played on each other. Since then Nick has always played well against us (and alot of teams).
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

robrulz5 wrote:
visiting saint wrote: Do you think Riewoldt learnt a bit from playing on James Hird? In the early 00's I remember in quite a few games they played on each other. Since then Nick has always played well against us (and alot of teams).
I've never heard him mention Hird, but I reckon the really good players learn their lessons fast. Any young guy who has the opportunity to play on a champion like Hird or Ablett should relish the task and do their best to learn from the experience.
Hird was more versatile than Riewoldt and as tough as buggery. One of the real champions of the game. Total ball player, courageous to the point of being stupid and able to play back, forward or on the ball. Similar to Riewoldt in that he covered acres of territory. I'd maybe put Hird in my top ten players of the past twenty years. Wouldn't put Riewoldt in there - yet.
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

I love the photos of our chances form the previous posters. Essendon have done the impossible and beaten the Saints. Lesson to learn: never say never.