Humble Pie

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
nomolos
Club Captain

Humble Pie

Post by nomolos »

Ill eat some of it.

I said that if we beat St Kilda Id apologise for my comments about us not deserving to play finals.

We showed tonight how much we want it despite shithouse efforts at other attempts throughout the year.

But what I truly liked so much about tonight was the guts and determination to fight it despite having no bench and 2 players on 1 leg.

Watson - was pure gold this guy can win a brownlow
Hurley - He gets me excited(in a manly way of course)
Stanton - on 1 f****** leg in the last.
Lovett - Needed to lift in the last and did.
Bell-Chambers - Showed some character, having to run out the entire last 1/4 against Gardiner and King, he was out on his feet.
Pears - the boy is pretty good

Well done boys
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Re: Humble Pie

Post by andrewb »

Watson will be All Australian as a result of that game.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

andrewb wrote:Watson will be All Australian as a result of that game.
Id like to think so... im hoping that Lovey can keep producing as well and be an outside chance for AA as well.

At the moment Watson would be a pretty safe bet for the Crichton.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Yes, i think i said something like 'we won't get close unless Lyon deliberately tries to engineer a loss', so i didn't see it coming. In reality, we played way above ourselves in the 2nd and 3rd quarters - reminded me a lot of the 2nd half against Carlton (when we won by 69 points), we basically couldn't do anything wrong. I loved the effort, i could see the guys were fked at 3/4 time and that the Saints were going to go close to winning.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Humble pie here too ... gave them no chance. Just shows what passion and guts can do.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Have to admit that I thought it was a long shot all the way, but I was hopeful that we could pull off a win, much like the Doggies did to us in 2000. We were talking it up at work all week. "Had a good feeling!" Let me tell you, that good feeling was fading rapidly as the final siren was approaching!
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
JimboC
Top Up Player

Post by JimboC »

Don't worry nomolos,

We've all underestimated the team from time to time...it just shows how even this competition can be.

One thing is for sure....Jobe Watson = Absolute CHAMPION!!!!
The Watson Factor....
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

This is the same football club that lost to Richmond and West Coast.

It has been said many times that this will be a season of ups and downs. Today we have seen an 'up' - how we respond next week with a trip to Perth with half a team will be as important as today's performance.

We have 2 more weeks to take on the comp and then play finals.
We don't deserve anything - but it is now there for the taking after 6 points from 2 top 5 teams in 2 weeks.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

The girl with the curl.

You can't blame anyone for doubting the team that lost to Richmond and Freo.

Then again you can't discount the team that beat Carlton (twice!) and Collingwood on Anzac Day.

SO it's any wonder my tipping is f*****!
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

No Humble Pie here I am Proud to say :wink:
I tipped this during the week.
This wasn't about playing Finals... Although it could be a bonus...
This tonight was about the Spirit of the Essendon Football Club...
This was about Heritage and standing Up and Being proud of the Red and Black...
This was about Make the prics bleed...Red and Black...
Well done mighty Bombers!!!
Tear em a New 1.
Never Underestimate the Mighty Essendon Football Club... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I tipped us (but I tip us every week).

I didn't think we'd win and rightly so. We were playing a side that has lost 10 less games than us.

Happy to be proven wrong.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I was doubting whether we could win but when I got to the ground and the boys ran out I threw all that out the window and knew we could win.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

I said all week, you wouldn't think we would but I wouldn't be surprised if we did and I am not surprised we did! I had a weird feeling today, like I had last week that got me confident! For those who felt it as well, we're psychic.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

None from me. I tipped us and I picked up 3 slabs today. Bout bloody time lol.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I am not going to eat any humble pie because the Dons sold me the biggest con job since buying property in Dubai was marketed as a good investment

Well done for the win lads

We beat Carlton, Collingwood St Kilda and last year's premiers yet lose to West Coast (although their recent form says that they aint so bad), Norf and Richmond (whose recent form says that they are crap!!)

Anyone who tipped us to win knows nothing about footy as we had no right to win this game. Still, 2 horse races can always turn up a surprise.

Has anyone suggested that Reiwoldt deliberately missed? :twisted:
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I have died and gone to f***'n heaven!!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Windy_Hill wrote:I am not going to eat any humble pie because the Dons sold me the biggest con job since buying property in Dubai was marketed as a good investment

We beat Carlton, Collingwood St Kilda and last year's premiers yet lose to West Coast (although their recent form says that they aint so bad), Norf and Richmond (whose recent form says that they are crap!!)

Anyone who tipped us to win knows nothing about footy as we had no right to win this game. Still, 2 horse races can always turn up a surprise.

Geez your harsh Windy :lol: You just have to let it go. Believe me I am as anrgy as you are with the performances of the WCE and tigers games but they are done now, this season will be the biggest learning curves for them and those games will definately have taught them something. If it happens again next year, then i would pissed off.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Windy_Hill wrote:I am not going to eat any humble pie because the Dons sold me the biggest con job since buying property in Dubai was marketed as a good investment

Naaa .. the spot Riewolt marked on - he has missed 6 out of 7 times all year - if he had a left foot we were stuffed.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Thought that was Stanton's best game for the year. Got a heap of the pill but was doing the extra things like tackle (on his own), shepheard and getting the hard ball.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Anyone who tipped us to win knows nothing about footy as we had no right to win this game. ]

...or they're a very good judge !!! :wink:

The way we played for the majority of that match I think we were the German Shepherds and they were the Putty cat.

Seriously though, I think the Saints have some major flaws. As I discussed with the visiting saint supporter, they have a lot of rather ordinary players in that line up that, yes, up to now have played very well.

Will they stand up to the scrutiny of a hammer and tong finals series ? I think not. We played footy with a finals like attack on the ball and man and they were found wanting.

It was only injuries that prevented up winning that game by a margin of about 40 points.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber