What Now For Scott Lucas?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

What Now For Scott Lucas?

Post by BenDoolan »

Of course, I'm only speculating here, but I reckon Lucas hasn't got an injury - he was dumped from the side with the intention of giving him a farewell game in R22. After our disappointing loss to West Coast, I think the match committee said "ah f*** this, we're going to concentrate on getting games into Neagle and forget about getting into the 8".

As it turns out, we drew (should have beaten) with a top 4 aspirant, Brisbane, and then beaten the undefeated Saints. We are now a good chance of finishing in the 8. Lucas isn't listed on the injury list on the club website, so I assume he is "right to go". He won't play this week, but will they give him a go in R22? Will they consider him for the final if we make it?

I reckon he's cactus, and everyone including himself knows it. It will be interesting to see how the club handles this. It needs to be professional and not bow to sentimental decisions at this crucial time.

It's sad, but I think Scotty has played his last game for the club.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: What Now For Scott Lucas?

Post by Windy_Hill »

What now for Scott L - how about Scott G

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UPrryGTAdYs&co ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UPrryGTAdYs&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Nice parting comment from Dennis Cometti as well :D
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Sounds like he may be announcing his retirement today:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

By Jon Ralph

EXCLUSIVE: ESSENDON star Scott Lucas is expected to announce his retirement at a press conference this morning. Lucas has been one of Essendon's loyal servants, playing 270 games for the club, but has been out of the senior side for the last fortnight.

He had hoped to be elevated back into the seniors late in the year, but it had increasingly apparent that was not about to occur.

It is believed he was unwilling to play again in the VFL to push his cause.

While it has been reported he was suffering knee soreness, there is confusion over whether he was simply dropped two weeks ago.

With Essendon in finals calculations, it would be likely the retirement will be effective immediate.

But coach Matthew Knights will make an announcement this morning at 10.15am, where the picture will become clearer.

Knights is pushing hard with his young talls, including Cale Hooker, Tayte Pears, Michael Hurley, and Paddy Ryder.

Lucas has had an amazing 14-year career, playing in Essendon's 2000 premiership and kicking four goals in the 2001 premiership loss.

------------------------------

Will be a shame if he can't play a farewell game, but the club needs to come first. Either way, he is a champion of the EFC, and a fantastic person from all accounts.

One of the most underatted players in the competition. Hard to believe he was a whipping boy early on in his career.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

10.15 on SEN if anyone's interested...

Onya' Scotty. Champ.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

He has retired, effective immediately.

Very sad day. True champion. In the top 20 players ever to play for Essendon.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

:( I wish he had one game as a send off at least. Surely he deserves that. I guess there will be a motorcade during hawks game. What a champion he has been, he's been apart of Essendon my whole life and it will be weird not having him there anymore. But he leaves me with some fantastic memories and I will miss watching that long raking left foot kicking goals from outside 50. Thanks for everything Scotty, you're a champion!! =D> =D>
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Thanks Scotty for a wonderful career. Sad to see you go but time catches with all of us.

Cheers mate, have a fantastic retirement. Hope to see you around the club.

Then there were 2 left.
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

Farewell Scotty - you've been an outstanding servant to the EFC. I can't remember a better left foot kick from around the 50m arc. He really developed his game over the last 3-4 years and became pretty mobile for a big man before injuries cut him down.

He probably never got the kudos from opposition fans which he deserved. Such an underrated player. Anyway I doubt Essendon supporters will forget how he went ape shit against WC in Sheedy's last game.

Definitely the right call. He would have struggled to break back into the team as we make our bid to play finals, even with all of our injuries.
Bombers till' I die
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Correct decision, but still makes me feel a bit sad.
He has been a great champion.
All the best for your retirement, Soctty.
I will make sure I am there early for the Hawks game to cheer on the motorcade or whatever they have for him.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Bought my daughter her first membership this year and her first guernsey - she wanted no 25 on the back. These were Christmas presents that she wanted more than anything else.

A sad day in our household. Thank you to a great Bomber Champion!!!!

Super Scotty Lucas
=D> =D> =D> =D>
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Some highlights of Scott's career for me:

1. 2001 grand final. Brisbane were all over us that day but our amazing backline (and their inability to kick straight) kept them from running over us right up until just near three quarter time. We hardly got the ball forward because they were smashing us in the midfield but any time in went near Scotty he gobbled it up and he was kicking them from everywhere. Four goals in a losing side with very limited supply - awesome performance, especially considering the calibre of his opponent.

2. West Coast, Subiaco, R22 2007: Sheeds and Hird were on the way out and we were getting smashed by an awesome Eagles outfit that was heading deep into September. 52 points down heading into the final quarter, it looked like we were about to capitulate completely and that two absolute legends of the club were not going to get a fitting exit. Enter Scotty. His last quarter will surely go down as one of the best in history - 7 goals and some of the smartest football I've seen. We didn't win that game but we walked off with our heads held high only 8 points down.

3. 2006 season: Scotty was one of the only shining lights of 2006. When Lloyd went down early with his hamstring we were all wondering where the goals were going to come from. Lucas ended up kicking nearly 70 goals for the season with some massive bags. When all else was miserable in some of the darkest days I've had as an Essendon supporter, I loved watching him work his opponent (usually the no.1 backman) out of the game with lead after lead. Never dropped his head, even with the butchers in the midfield kicking it everywhere but at him. I often wondered how many goals he could have kicked if he wasn't standing next to the best full forward we've had since Coleman.

4. Geelong, Docklands, R18 2005: Geelong had knocked us out of the finals in 2004 and my mate let me know ALL about it. They were the up and coming team with the brigade of young midfield stars, we were the dinosaurs in decline, yada yada. They had spanked us earlier in the season and were in a good position to make top 4 and give the finals a good tilt. They came up against us and all I heard all week was how we were going to get flogged. Scotty steps up and destroys them with 6 goals and we end up winning a close one. I spent the next week reminding my mate that he was a Camperdown boy and probably would have gone to the Cats under the old zoning rules.

5. Enjoying the back-peddling of all the C**** that used to bag him early in his career because he wasn't as consistent as no. 18.

I'm still dirty that Lucas didn't play the 1999 Preliminary Final. I'm almost certain that it cost us a premiership. From memory he had torn it up in the twos the week before and didn't we need a Centre Half Forward that day.

Thanks for a wonderful career and some great memories.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Would be great if we appointed him as an assistant coach for the FORWARD LINE.
The man knows how to read the play and (most importantly) how to kick goals.
Even after the St Kilda win, I still think we struggle a bit with our forward structure.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Surely if we win this week and Port lose they will play him in round 22!
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

In that case, training this week whould consist of watching the last quater of Jimmy and Sheeds last game.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Congratulations to Scott Lucas on a career that stamped him as a true champion of the Essendon Football Club.

Thanks for all that you have done for the Bombers and I hope you enjoy your retirement you have a lot to be proud of.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

His Greatest Highlight - passing the ball to Gary Moorcroft at Colonial/Telstra/Etihad who was waiting in the goal square - the mark of the century was to follow. I believe Scotty used his right foor to kick the ball as well

Hail to the Champ and thanks for the memories
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

An absolute champion who played his guts out for us.

Close to the end of an era with Fletch and Lloydy remaining. Incredibly sad that we cannot give him the send off he deserves.

Thanks for a wonderful career!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
JimboC
Top Up Player

Post by JimboC »

One of the greatest ever to wear the Red & Black,

Thanks for the passion, commitment, and loyalty to the club. Will never be forgotten at the EFC.

Scott Lucas., True Champion.
The Watson Factor....
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Champion. Thanks Scotty for a wonderful career with many highlights.

Always loved the fact that absolutely everybody knew Scotty wouldn't handball and would wheel around onto his left foot at every opportunity, but nobody seemed to to be able to stop him doing so. That and how he always looked buggered 5mins into the game haha.

All the best Scotty.