Gringo's starting team for 2010

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

Gringo's starting team for 2010

Post by gringo »

Assuming we had a full list to choose from, my starting team for next year would be:

B: Slattery Fletcher Houli

HB: McVeigh Pears Dempsey

C: Lovett Watson Stanton

HF: McPhee Hurley Monfries

F: Davey Lloyd Ryder

Foll: Hille Winderlich Prismall

Inter: Reimers Gumbleton Dyson Welsh

Blokes knocking on the door: Lonergan, Neagle, Hooker, Myers, Quinn, NLM, Skipworth, Zaharakis, Laycock, Daniher, Hocking
Last edited by gringo on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Madden
Club Captain

Re: Gringo's starting team for 2010

Post by Madden »

I could quibble slightly. Neagle should be starting at full-forward and Lloyd on a flank. But other than that its pretty spot on.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

in brutal honesty id swap Davey for Zaha????

also trying my hardest to fit Lonergan in there somewhere, reimers? i dunno

where did all this depth come from??? no-one is going to want to be drafted to Essendon next year.... dead set just will not get a game
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

If Atkinson's not knocking on the door he just stepped on the porch.
GoalSneak
Top Up Player

Post by GoalSneak »

Fletcher to BP instead of Houli, Hurley to FB, Gumbleton to CHF and Zaharakis onto the bench. Otherwise, agreed.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Nice to see someone else rates Houli too. I think he is in the best 22 as well gringo.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

I suspect that "starting team" is the best 22 - not the team that will start the year... would also suspect that a first year would be blooded in the first round.

I also suspect that some games will need to be put into "developing" players to get them into shape ... talking Quinn, Atkinson, Hooker, Zaha, Myers, Houli (who will be a gun) and Gumbelton (not in our best 22 yet)

The depth of the team is as such that I would see a "core" with ins and outs selected based on the opposing team

Core players would include:

Assuming we had a full list to choose from, my starting team for next year would be:

Would also include Lonegan and Neagle as being the core. NLM coming in for 3 game bursts - like him in the midfield for a short while and alternating forward and back with Reimers.

In terms of position... Neagle to FF, Ryder to CHF (Not the first time rucks rested at CHF) with Lloyd on flank.
McVeigh to the bench being midfield rotation, Dyson to HBF
McPhee to backline.
Lovett on HF line (sometimes in mid) - not convinced he can apply enough defensive pressure to hold down the wing.

Awww .. we could go on all day here!!!!

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

sti dreams wrote:ILovett on HF line (sometimes in mid) - not convinced he can apply enough defensive pressure to hold down the wing.
Lovett is no 13.... Not sure you're talking about the same person.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Sismis wrote:
sti dreams wrote:ILovett on HF line (sometimes in mid) - not convinced he can apply enough defensive pressure to hold down the wing.
Yeah yeah ... not talking about me ... Ilovett = Lovett .. still prefer the number 13 on the HF line ... not the wing. Have not seen Lovett spoil an oppostion player (but would like to be contradicted) - though have seen him tackle grandly. IMO wingers need to create and spoil as needed.

Chears ... sti dreams
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
chummy
Top Up Player

Post by chummy »

B Atkinson Pears Fletcher

HB Dempsey Hooker Mcveigh

C Dyson Prismal Stanton

HF Lovett Hurley Mcphee

F Ryder Gumby Davies

FOL Hille Watson Winderlich

RES NLM Lonergan Hocking Zaharakis / Monfries . Houli Reimers /
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

gringo wrote:Assuming we had a full list to choose from, my starting team for next year would be:

Blokes knocking on the door: Lonergan, Neagle, Hooker, Myers, Quinn, NLM, Skipworth, Zaharakis, Laycock, Daniher, Hocking

Tough calls in there Gringo.

I thought Myers was more than servicable down back and still could be used on the last line as a tall option.
Everytime I see Hocking, I like him more and more. If he's not a starter, he should be in line for a rotation spot on the bench.
Quinn is (even though I hate the word) an x-factor. His development over summer will show that he can adapt even further. I'd hate to see him wasted too.
For the guys calling for Atkinson to be an automatic inclusion, I'd love to ask someone at Essendon why he has been in the two's for so long when we had injuries earlier in the year. He had a ripper pre season and I thought he was going to go on from there.....only to be at Bendigo for umpteen rounds.
Neagle needs to get back to one grab marks before he can establish himself IMHO.
With seeing how we have been cut up by teams when we don't have a competitive ruckman at center bounces, I think we have to go into games with a ruck on the bench - by that, I means someone other than Paddy. We're fair dinkum going to kill this kid early if he has to keep jumping into guys week after week.
First name: Mr
Second name: period
Last name: T
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

McVeigh Pears Fletcher
McPhee Hurley Dempsey
Dyson Prismall Lovett
Lonergan Gumbleton Monfries
Davey Neagle Hille

Ryder, Watson, Winderlich

I/C Stanton, Houli, Hooker, Welsh

Sorry Lloydy - cant hold back Neagle's development any longer

Apologies to Zaharakis, Hocking, NLM, Atkinson, Quinn, Laycock, Slattery, Nash, etc
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

With our game style having a high attrition rate, its almost time that there will be a need for a rotation of midfielders being selected from. A few years a stint on the bench was seen as casting as aspersions on a player's form, now they are doing it 80 times in a game. As with interchange, "rests" in the 2's might become a common event. This will also allow the youngsters, that dont get a regular gig to get game time in the big time.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

sti dreams wrote:
Sismis wrote:
Yeah yeah ... not talking about me ... Ilovett = Lovett .. still prefer the number 13 on the HF line ... not the wing. Have not seen Lovett spoil an oppostion player (but would like to be contradicted) - though have seen him tackle grandly. IMO wingers need to create and spoil as needed.

Chears ... sti dreams
How is he supposed to spoil when his opponent rarely gets a kick? I believe the job of the winger is to switch play and go back in defence when needed. That is what Lovett does and does well. I am biased I know but is there a better winger in the comp? He carries the ball (game high on Sunday) and delivers it exquisitely. He also chases guys down and lays his 3 tackles a game.