Monfries falls over again...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Monfries falls over again...

Post by swoodley »

There's a lot of shit flying on here today (as usual after such a loss) and yet so far no mention of Monfries.

This boy has serious problems as it seems that he finds it impossible to stay on his feet whenever the ball is near him. He was bloody pathetic today, constantly falling over and failing to apply defensive pressure.

f*** him off to SA and cut our losses now.

For all the talk about how poor Jetta was, at least Jetta can hold his feet, get his own ball and put some semblance of defensive pressure on the opposition.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Monfries falls over again...

Post by BenDoolan »

Hi Gus!

My fingers are very sore from discussing this bloke. I am just mentally exhausted with him....
Essendunny
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Could be a gun if he really put his mind to it but is seriously lacking.... CONSISTENCY

Great opportunity to repeat his earlier game against the Hawks and towell up Hodge next week. He owes it after tonights performance.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Monfries had plenty of mates today who lowered their colours. Actually Matthew Knight has said all year that THE TEAM is inconsistent and is a problem they are addressing and trying to learn from.

Yes Monfries has been inconsistent this year, but I think there are more pros than cons with this bloke.

His challenge and the coaching staff is to work at his consistency.

I believe he is good enough to fix the problem. Last week he kicked four golas, was a big factor in us winning, this week was heavily tagged and wasn't sighted, he has to learn to cope with the extra attention. As I said I think he's good enough and the only place I'd want to see him is at this club.

Sadly today showed that maybe we aren't ready to play finals and that there's some gremlins that still needs to be dealt with before we hit the big time. Don't get me wrong I want EFC to see finals this year but maybe it's not the right time and a pre season of hurt from missing out after being so close is one scar we need to cop to move forward on our inconsistent playing behaviour.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

bombercol wrote:Actually Matthew Knight has said all year that THE TEAM is inconsistent and is a problem they are addressing and trying to learn from.
So how exactly ARE we "addressing" this? I don't see any improvement whatsoever yet.
We still seem to be up and down like a see saw on speed.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

As predictable as it was disappointing. Just like the entire team, he is always down after a good game.

Next time he has a good game, he should be pre-emptively dropped on the grounds that it is a foregone conclusion that his next 3-4 games will be shite.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Knights in an interview said the inconsistencies were part of having a young and inexperienced team.

Part of fixing the problem I guess will be experience, but the coaching staff really need to put some action plans into place.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

I dunno...Hodge looks like he'll be fully fit not at 10% like last time.

Im done with him. Trade him and get a something more consistent.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

jimmyc1985 wrote:As predictable as it was disappointing. Just like the entire team, he is always down after a good game.

Next time he has a good game, he should be pre-emptively dropped on the grounds that it is a foregone conclusion that his next 3-4 games will be shite.
haha crazy but it might just work... alternate Gus and Reimers each week.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bombercol wrote:Knights in an interview said the inconsistencies were part of having a young and inexperienced team.

Part of fixing the problem I guess will be experience, but the coaching staff really need to put some action plans into place.
You think you might learn a thing or two after 90 AFL matches.
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

nomolos wrote: Trade him and get a something more consistent.
Like?
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

robrulz5 wrote:
Like?

That's fine he can stay and the team can continue to wallow in mediocrity.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Cant believe the bagging Monfries gets on here. If you look over the big wins we have had this season, he has been amongst our best player. Games against Carlton, Hawthorn, StKilda etc. With Lloyd out he has had to play tall. He wasnt the only player way below par yesterday. Seriously, get off his case....

Take a look at Henry Slattery in the last 10 minutes of the game last week and you will see first hand what a below average footballer looks like!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

merc_2 wrote:Cant believe the bagging Monfries gets on here. If you look over the big wins we have had this season, he has been amongst our best player. Games against Carlton, Hawthorn, StKilda etc. With Lloyd out he has had to play tall. He wasnt the only player way below par yesterday. Seriously, get off his case....

Take a look at Henry Slattery in the last 10 minutes of the game last week and you will see first hand what a below average footballer looks like!
Haha, this post should be printed and then framed in the comedy section.

f***'n Slattery is a model of consistency compared to that peanut. The way to fix his inconsistency would be to drop the fcker until he demonstrates consistent form with Bendigo. That would be the thing to do. His dumb arse habit of going to ground and allowing his opponent an unimpeded run out of defence is infuriatingly frustrating. Last week he stopped that shit. This week??

You know what, I reckon we should swap positions with Monfries and Slattery. I'd guarantee Slattery would fight tooth and nail for a loose ball in our forward line, create opportunities and even score goals himself evey week. Now, I wonder how Monfries would go in defence......
Essendunny
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Mate....watch the last couple of minutes of that St Kilda game. When the pressure is on, Slattery has no f****** idea. Amongst the worse footballers in the AFL!.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

If I remember Monfires did play a couple of "defensive" such roles to stop running back men...Andrew McLeod, Heath Shaw, Luke Hodge and killed them.

I respect anyone's opinion around here, I also can understand people feel Monfires is a (or should be) better player than what he's producing, but my opinion too is that Monfries cops a belting on this site.

Monfries is a bit of a barometer for the team, and his inconsistency is a problem the whole team is guilty of. As a crumbing forward he has to rely on the midfield and others to get the ball down there. If there not doing it quick enough or effectively enough, the forward is not going to get the ball.

Our list only has a handful of players who has played finals before, and the core of our team have always had to learn the hard way because we've been losing more than winning since they've played for the club, which makes that consistancy and self belief a bit harder. It's still taken St Kilda and to a degree Carlton some time to show the goods with all there No 1 draft picks. We haven't had that luxury of getting the no 1 pick.

Last week we had many players win their possies in an epic win. We get headlines then play an inferior team who then heavily tag everyone who made an impact the week before. We've gotta learn to cope with being hunted too if we're going to improve and our players improve too.

I am a Monfries fan and I think he is too valuable an asset to just f*** off back to SA.

BTW, Slattery in my opinion is not blessed with all the skills in the world, will never be the first picked, but I think he's honest and does his job.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

bombercol wrote:If I remember Monfires did play a couple of "defensive" such roles to stop running back men...Andrew McLeod, Heath Shaw, Luke Hodge and killed them.

I respect anyone's opinion around here, I also can understand people feel Monfires is a (or should be) better player than what he's producing, but my opinion too is that Monfries cops a belting on this site.

Monfries is a bit of a barometer for the team, and his inconsistency is a problem the whole team is guilty of. As a crumbing forward he has to rely on the midfield and others to get the ball down there. If there not doing it quick enough or effectively enough, the forward is not going to get the ball.

Our list only has a handful of players who has played finals before, and the core of our team have always had to learn the hard way because we've been losing more than winning since they've played for the club, which makes that consistancy and self belief a bit harder. It's still taken St Kilda and to a degree Carlton some time to show the goods with all there No 1 draft picks. We haven't had that luxury of getting the no 1 pick.

Last week we had many players win their possies in an epic win. We get headlines then play an inferior team who then heavily tag everyone who made an impact the week before. We've gotta learn to cope with being hunted too if we're going to improve and our players improve too.

I am a Monfries fan and I think he is too valuable an asset to just f*** off back to SA.

BTW, Slattery in my opinion is not blessed with all the skills in the world, will never be the first picked, but I think he's honest and does his job.
See, that's the core of my argument...I am not a Slattery fan and cringe whenever he gets near the ball but I always know he will have a red hot go whether he stuffs up or not. Monfries does not and there is way too big a gap between his good and his bad performances.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

With a user name "Ben Doolan" the joke is on you my friend!
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

nomolos wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:
Like?

That's fine he can stay and the team can continue to wallow in mediocrity.
Haven't really answered the question there, have you.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I will take a player who can kick 30+ goals a season including the odd match winning performance even if it means he falls over to do it over a player who cant do jack yet manages to keep his feet.

Give Monfries a break - will finish in the B&F Top 10 this year