JJ ONE YEAR

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
tony coz
On the Rookie List

JJ ONE YEAR

Post by tony coz »

Why is Jason Johnson only being offered a one year contract. Sure his form wasnt good at the start of the season but that was due to injury and virtually no preseason. His form improved as the season progressed to the stage where he was one of our best players. He is a best and fairest winner. He should be offered a 2 yaer contact minimum. One year is a slap in the face to a loyal Essendon player. :evil:
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

He's getting older and his style of play makes him more prone to injury.

As such, the club are probably protecting themselves from a Rioli type situation where he couldn't play out the second year of his contract but still had to be paid.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

JJ isn't a Rioli..... step up essendon!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Pazza
Essendon Legend

Post by Pazza »

Just following the lead of other clubs - re: elder players.

What this means is that JJ can now concentrate on getting fully fit (which he certainly wasn't for some time this season) and that'll help in the negotiations for his contract in 12 months time.
BT's resident umpire
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

This is a disgrace.

If we can't offer the bloke that has carried this team since 2001 a two year contract then he should pack his bags and take his 25 possessions a game and sublime inside work to another club.

I am embarrassed to be an essendon supporter.
The other, other white meat.
Koala
Champion of Essendon

Post by Koala »

I'd prefer JJ to get a two year contract as well. But just watch what happens if he does, then breaks down part way into next season.

"Bloody Essendon, what did they think they were doing, giving an injury prone player a two year contract, bloody typical" yada yada yada bitch bitch bitch moan moan moan.

The club won't get it right, no matter what, according to some people. Damned if they do, damned if they don't
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Koala wrote:I'd prefer JJ to get a two year contract as well. But just watch what happens if he does, then breaks down part way into next season.

"Bloody Essendon, what did they think they were doing, giving an injury prone player a two year contract, bloody typical" yada yada yada bitch bitch bitch moan moan moan.

The club won't get it right, no matter what, according to some people. Damned if they do, damned if they don't
Well said Koala
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

I don't know what all the fuss is about 2 year deals. If JJ believes in his ability, and an agreement can be made he should take the one year.

Mcveigh did this up until this year, and it payed off for him. Knew that he needed to perform otherwise he would be cut.
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

I agree Danstar84, if a player is worth 2 yrs, then they'll get the second, given their performance in the first. The important thing is for the club to be very consistant and transparent in it's approach, so that each individual palyer understands that they are being treated no worse than the next.

Being good at footy is very financially rewarding for these blokes, so much so that they don't go of and do anything else with their lives. a player who leaves only because they are offered one yr, not two, is not going to be a player who will go the extra yard to get the team into a grand final. Good bye, ( and good luck) should be the clubs response.

I sure as hell hope JJ understands this and stays at the club, ( which is bigger than the individual)
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Didn't JJ go off on a holiday late 2005, with the knowledge he needed surgery to a foot problem? This act delayed treatment, and therefore healing and therefore destroyed a decent preseason.
The rest as they say, is history.

Unprofessional behaviour in my book. He should know better, especially as a Crichton Medallist of 2005.

One year to prove you're better than that JJ.
DazMan32
Top Up Player

Post by DazMan32 »

Give the man 2, he finally got his kicking for goal right again (5 goals against the doggies).

Should be back to his best next season. And even if he does get hurt, i reckon he can come back and contribute in 2008 anyway.
jjono
High Draft Pick

Post by jjono »

I thought he deserved a 2 year contract (maybe with some performance based incentives included), based on his contributions to our club in recent seasons.
Tamworth Bomber
Top Up Player

Post by Tamworth Bomber »

He improved as the year went on. A two year deal should have been offered.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

F111 wrote:Didn't JJ go off on a holiday late 2005, with the knowledge he needed surgery to a foot problem? This act delayed treatment, and therefore healing and therefore destroyed a decent preseason.
The rest as they say, is history.

Unprofessional behaviour in my book. He should know better, especially as a Crichton Medallist of 2005.

One year to prove you're better than that JJ.
Ditto :wink:
team
Top Up Player

Post by team »

JJ has his two years. Where's the excitement. I back it anyway.
today is not yesterday
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

In the trade section.
team
Top Up Player

Post by team »

danstar84 wrote:In the trade section.
Interesting. Couldn't see reference to it there and well, it wasn't a draft or a trade 8) . Anyway thumbs up.
today is not yesterday
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Agree with F111. He is lucky to get the same deal as Lucas is getting.
It was very unprofessional from JJ, and something out of character as well.
Then again, Campo got 2 years.