How Good is Hurley?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
dom_105
Club Captain

Re: How Good is Hurley?

Post by dom_105 »

Ossie wrote:I officially love Michael Hurley.
I say this with an unblemished record of staunched heterosexuality.

I would have his children.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Priority Number 1, next week. EXTEND HIS CONTRACT NOW for at least 4 years!!!!!
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Jazz_84 wrote:
bombercol wrote:Extend the contract now!

first ever 7 year deal?

The Bad News Bears gave Lynch a 10 year deal when they got him from Fitzroy. Wokred out good when he spent 7 of those years asleep.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

robbie67 wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:
bombercol wrote:Extend the contract now!

first ever 7 year deal?

The Bad News Bears gave Lynch a 10 year deal when they got him from Fitzroy. Wokred out good when he spent 7 of those years asleep.
a 10 year deal?? are you serious? far out
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Filthy wrote:If Hurls has any brains he signs a 2 year deal and kills them and then signs a big, fat one in 2013.
hope the EFC pay him whatever he wants!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

First time I have seen an Essendon player dominate a game so much in a long time and certainly the first time a FIRST YEAR player has done that for even longer - probably since 1977 Watson & Van Der Haar.

THIS KID CAN PLAY!!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:
How about the left foot goal from 50 out?
Extraordinary! Just a couple of steps and THWACK!
Did you see that Smithers? I told him to do that.
I did actually yell out for him to kick it on his left as he started to move around.

The words "f******" and "awesome" are thrown around a lot these days.
But Hurley is going to be f****** awesome.
While Jack Watts takes 3 years to get anywhere near AFL level.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

billyduckworth wrote:First time I have seen an Essendon player dominate a game so much in a long time and certainly the first time a FIRST YEAR player has done that for even longer - probably since 1977 Watson & Van Der Haar.

THIS KID CAN PLAY!!
This.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I overheard two elderly ladies talking about Hurley on the train after the match. One said that he remided her of Barry Davis. Now is there anyone old enough to remember how good the ol' great BD of Essendon played in his hey day? I know he was a champ, but are there any similarities in their style?
Essendunny
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Certainly not in style. The head/hair combo has some similarities.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Sorry, cannot see any comparison. Davis was a lot shorter and stockier and made up the classic half backline of Davis Shelton and Epis. More like Henry Slatts. build.

He was mostly renowned for his raking drop kicks, fearless attack on the ball and was unscrupleously fair. Cannot recall too many high marks or goals for that matter, especially as most of his time was spent on the backline. Probably best comapare him to a shorter version of Sean Wellman.

Went to North under the infamous 10 year rule.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/85dYBJAM_pQ&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/85dYBJAM_pQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Wow.
GoalSneak
Top Up Player

Post by GoalSneak »

rockhole wrote:Sorry, cannot see any comparison. Davis was a lot shorter and stockier and made up the classic half backline of Davis Shelton and Epis. More like Henry Slatts. build.

He was mostly renowned for his raking drop kicks, fearless attack on the ball and was unscrupleously fair. Cannot recall too many high marks or goals for that matter, especially as most of his time was spent on the backline. Probably best comapare him to a shorter version of Sean Wellman.

Went to North under the infamous 10 year rule.
As far as high marks are concerned, he had a very safe pair of hands and would almost always win one-on-one marking contests but he didn't jump for his marks. I suspect he didn't have much of a spring.

He was tried at full forward early in his career and kicked four in his first game there but was vastly better suited to the half back flank, or on the ball where he played with North.

The only similarity I can see is that Davis was similarly cool and composed.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I would like your answer on this one peoples.

When someone talks about Michael Hurley, what do you guys do? And keep it sensible.

Today on SEN, Robbo and Doran were talking about him and I couldn't stop smiling all the way back to work, knowing that he plays for us.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Staggy wrote:<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/85dYBJAM_pQ&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/85dYBJAM_pQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Wow.
I have seen Jonathan Brown kick a few like that.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:I would like your answer on this one peoples.

When someone talks about Michael Hurley, what do you guys do? And keep it sensible.

Today on SEN, Robbo and Doran were talking about him and I couldn't stop smiling all the way back to work, knowing that he plays for us.
I was smiling when I heard his name called out at pick #5. Some of the shit I saw him do in a highlights package was incredible. Just the player we needed, and thank **** he's here.

It's amusing watching Matthew Knights when his name is mentioned. He can barely contain himself. Obviously the club has given him grief over it, and he is restraining himself quite a bit - and he admits it.
Essendunny
Lenni
Top Up Player

Post by Lenni »

I think Hurley is the "emblem" (for want of a better word) that symbolises the coming 5 years at a great club. The media have been all over Carlton with their #1 picks etc...(we all know that again deep pockets made most of these things happen) I am excited about watching Essendon reach that magic number 17 long before those cheats; and doing it all through 'above board' (not visy board) recruitment. We are very fortunate to be able to witness the next few years.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Even Robert Walls says Hurley is a better player (and will be long term) than Daniel Rich (who has been outstanding this season for Brisbane). THought that was an impressive piece of information... we know how much Wallsy loves the red and black.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Smartest thing the Clam has said in years, but then that wouldn't be hard.

Rich will win the Rising Star, but can be thankful that Hurley (and Zeibell) were injured and the voters all cream their daks every time he gets the pill. But we all know who got the better player :D vingertje =D>
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

and guys, just imagine if we can get Gumby fit....the mouth simply waters