When will Lloyd hang em up?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

When will Lloyd hang em up?

Post by Crazyman »

Just curious as to what people think at this point in time.

For me, if he challenges the MRP (which he damn well should) he will most likely retire if he gets rubbed out for the duration of the finals campaign.

If the charge gets downgraded or thrown out (which it should), I reckon he will go around one more time...

Anyway, that is just my thoughts for now...
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Re: When will Lloyd hang em up?

Post by grassy1 »

Half of WA is trying to get him RETIRED Because THEY HATE and FEAR Him.

Don't do it LLOYDIE.Don't let it end like this.See you next year eh?
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

I'd like to see him go on in 2010, if only to see him clean up that stupid shite Campbell Brown.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Unfortunately, I think we've seen Lloyd in the black and red jumper for the last time.

Given the emergence of players like Hurley, Neagle and Gumby waiting in the wings he is not going to be played at full forward and he has struggled to be effective this year playing up the ground.

There is no point playing him, if we are going to plonk him on a flank and have him leading up to the wing, half-back looking for a kick.

I would hate to see him go on next year and struggle to get a senior game, or struggle with form and be dropped back to Bendigo like Lucas was this year.

I remember when Sean Wellman retired, which he did at least 2-3 seasons too soon, if not 4-5 for my liking, he said he would rather people question why he retired when he did, instead of question why he didn't do it sooner.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

I'll be extremely disappointed if he has played his last game. I'm disappointed that he's announced 2010 will be his last if he plays on. He's got a lot more to give and I think he should play out the rest of his career in the goal square. There is no reason Neagle and co can't develop around him. Look at how Brown and Bradshaw operated much of this season and last. Both were effective forwards, damaging, kicking big scores and not getting in each other's way playing from (or just out from) the goal square.

Great way for Neagle to learn, working alongside (and I mean alongside, not just in the same side) one of our all-time greatest full forwards (possibly our greatest behind John Coleman).

I know Knights feels he has a mandate to develop the "future" but playing Lloyd from the GS would be doing just that, with Neagle playing in there with him (a la Brown/Bradshaw).
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I'd hate to think that Saturday was his last game.

I think he should play on in a modified role to be a guiding light to the fantastic youngsters about forward play. The man has kicked over 900 goals so he is fully qualified to fulfil such a role.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Matthew Lloyd, you should go around again
James Hird | September 01, 2009 12:00am

MATTHEW Lloyd should play on at Essendon next year and the Bombers should be doing everything they can to convince him to do so. Those that say his best football is past him are right, but those that say he should retire are way off the mark.

Matthew's game on the weekend was not his best, he looked to be short of match practice and was second-guessing his leads and positioning.

His best football is played out of the goal square and is based on instinctive leading, great hands and an accuracy in front of goals that is in the elite class.

His bump on Hawk Brad Sewell - that, in my opinion, should have cost him at least two weeks on the sidelines, was reckless, but it also changed the game and swung the momentum in Essendon's favour.

There is not one other player on Essendon's list who could have had the same impact as their skipper did.

Lloyd did not intend to break Brad Sewell's face, but he did intend to impose himself on the game.

Personally, I think his initial intention was to win the ball, but upon realising he was no chance, chose to make body contact.

It was contact that is outside the rules and will get him weeks, but it is not contact that called for the general hysteria that followed that evening and in the Sunday papers.

The Hawks have every right to feel aggrieved at the way Essendon has treated them over the past 20 years.

Every game I played in, except the past couple of years, our goal was to physically intimidate the Hawks, but on the other hand Essendon has every right to complain about the way Hawthorn has beaten up the Bombers in the past three years.

The point is every club at one stage or another physically intimidates its opposition. The only way to stop being intimidated is to get on the front foot and dish out your own medicine.

Calling people snipers and protesting through the media is off the mark and if Campbell Brown had an issue he should have dealt with it in the remaining 50 minutes of the game or the next time the two clubs played.

Brown has won a lot of respect for the way he plays the game and he should let his actions do the talking.

I, for one, can't wait to watch how Brown goes about his game next time the two clubs meet. Hopefully Lloyd will be there as the build-up will be great and Essendon needs him in the team to continue to be a presence.

The Bombers have Jay Neagle playing up forward alongside Michael Hurley. Hurley's game on the weekend was one of the most exciting games I have seen from an Essendon point of view in a long time.

As a supporter in the crowd, I was amazed to hear the Essendon faithful chanting his name.

Not bad for a kid who was only in his ninth game. It is obvious that Matthew Knights is trying to play down his excitement, so as not to put too much pressure on him.

That is OK for Knights, but with Hurley and Tayte Pears Essendon has a couple of genuine stars in the making.

But as good as Hurley was, he still needs time to develop. He also needs some experience around him to help him on the field and off it.

Lloyd's presence on Saturday, combined with the skill and ability of Hurley and others, won the Bombers the game. Take either ingredient out and the Bombers lose.

That is why Matthew Lloyd needs to play next year
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Will go around for another year...2010 will be his last!
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

If he plays on, i'd like to see him play as a permanent full forward without the captaincy, which must go to our midfield group.(either Watson, Ryder, Hille would be good.)
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

i think if Lloyd was thinking about retiring he will think again after talking with Hird and reading what he has to say. must hold Hird in the highest regard surely
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Given what has transpired this week, Lloyd will definitely go one more season. Will not want to finish his magnificent career under these circumstances and he must surely believe we are a certainty for finals footy next year. Lloyd can still produce 35 goals from FF and will take some pressure off the young Neagle

Had he not been suspended this week - I reckon it may have been time to go. As it stands, I reckon he will have an even better season next year just to make a point
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I will be very, very surprised if he doesn't retire... at the end of next season.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Sign him up for 2010 with the expectation of playing only 10-12 games ... BUT give him a gig as an assistant coach for his non-playing days. We seem to have lost Scotty and there is a need for some experience and leadership at the club.

This maty tickle Matty's fancy

Ch - etc STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)