What I liked about tonight's game

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

What I liked about tonight's game

Post by Windy_Hill »

When the heat was on in the first quarter, I actually believe we were the better team and probably should have gone in to the break with the lead.

No doubt Adelaide is the better of the 2 sides but for a while there, on their home turf, in front of 50,000 of their fans, we were the goods.

In the end we simply did not have the players to combat the centre clearances - they broke the game open and our confidence went down the drain. We also had crap performances from too many key players to expect to hold off the crows for the whole game

Add Hille and Ryder plus another 20 games experience to a few of the lads and I would expect the result to be much better.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Re: What I liked about tonight's game

Post by tonysoprano »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Add Hille and Ryder plus another 20 games experience to a few of the lads and I would expect the result to be much better.
yeah - something closer to a 10 goal loss rather than 16. :twisted:
Last edited by tonysoprano on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Yep, spot on Windy. I thought we were gone many times in that first quarter. I saw what was coming though. They kicked them out of their arse. There was no way of stopping it. I'm sick of thinking about tonight's game. My mind is now firmly on off season and 2010. :)
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Love the optimism W.H. =D>

Ryder, Hille, Laycock, Bellchambers, Gumby, Bock.

Nuff said.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

I liked that the team made the finals ... This year was a good start - but we need to learn from tonight and not just expect that additional or key players being available would lead to greater success... Would expect that WCE and Hawks will challenge for the 8 next year.

The Crows tonight showed the intensity needed to make it to the GF. Thats what we need to learn.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

30 years ago we were hammered by Fitzroy in the Elimination Final. We were a young, depleted team. This is very similar IMO.
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

BenDoolan wrote:30 years ago we were hammered by Fitzroy in the Elimination Final. We were a young, depleted team. This is very similar IMO.
I've just looked up that season and noticed we won 9 in a row before losing 7 of our last 9 (including that final). We obviously didn't put the same streak together this year - but our 2nd half of the season has been abysmal - what 3 wins and a draw in our last 9 or 10?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

20 years ago we were hammered by 94 points by Geelong in the Preliminary Final

The following year we were in the Grand Final

Essendon are better than what was shown tonight. I remain very confident that we will improve on our ladder position next year
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

We cant be judged on tonight. Once the game was gone, the floodgates opened. A great experience for the team despite the heavy loss. Lots to look forward to in the future.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

merc_2 wrote:We cant be judged on tonight. Once the game was gone, the floodgates opened. A great experience for the team despite the heavy loss. Lots to look forward to in the future.
the floodgates opened alot earlier than that - at about the 20 mintue mark of the 2nd quarter when it was 51-36. dismal stuff.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

tonysoprano wrote:
merc_2 wrote:We cant be judged on tonight. Once the game was gone, the floodgates opened. A great experience for the team despite the heavy loss. Lots to look forward to in the future.
the floodgates opened alot earlier than that - at about the 20 mintue mark of the 2nd quarter when it was 51-36. dismal stuff.
Are you becoming one of those blokes that think if you wear red and black it automatically turns you into an elite footballer? We had no ruckmen, our CHF and FF of the last 10 years were gone, and we had to travel against a team who have been crushing EVERYBODY. For f*** sake, get a grip of your expectations.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

tonysoprano wrote:
And your point would be what??????
The floodgates opened up with about 5 minutes to go in the 2nd. We had missed a couple of easy set shots (Hooker and Pears from memory)!....Dismal stuff after that?????
That was always on the cards, the point im making, dont use tonights game to judge our development.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

robbie67 wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:
Are you becoming one of those blokes that think if you wear red and black it automatically turns you into an elite footballer? We had no ruckmen, our CHF and FF of the last 10 years were gone, and we had to travel against a team who have been crushing EVERYBODY. For f*** sake, get a grip of your expectations.
My expectations were that we would lose, but by a lot less than 16 goals, more like 5 or 6.

My expectations were that todays post-match reports would say that despite being undermanned, the Bombers can be proud of there performance in a big final, and showed they are on the up - a team to watch in the next couple of years.

My expectations were we would be outclassed, but would never capitulate.

My expectations were that we would force Adelaide to work hard, rather than leak goals like a burst dam.

My expectations are that if you wear the red and black, you may not turn into an elite footballer, but you at least turn into a committed, desperate, tenacious underdog, who despite deep down knowing that aren't the equal of your opponent when it comes to experience or skill, you are the equal of your opponent when it comes to endeavour, intensity, and the desire to confirm you are an opponent worth of respect.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Last night was a huge experience for a young group but what it will do is give the club the hunger to improve next year.

Hopefully the injury card won't get drawn as much next year.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Grand Final Dinner 1983.

K. Sheedy addressed the massed Essendon faithful and gave it to them with the brutal force of a Richmond back-pocket player.

'There is nothing to celebrate'...'there is a shit load to be done'....'Close it down and get to work!'

M. Knights take note - Season 2010 starts September 5th 2009!

I hope that in future I look back at last nights' game just as I now do to the '83 G.F.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I was happy with the 1st quarter. Just wish players would get pinged for diving on the ball!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

bombercol wrote:Last night was a huge experience for a young group but what it will do is give the club the hunger to improve next year.
yeah did you see the look on the boys faces as the siren went? that hurt them a lot and can only mean retribution for 2010!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
The Don
Top Up Player

Post by The Don »

Windy_Hill wrote:20 years ago we were hammered by 94 points by Geelong in the Preliminary Final

The following year we were in the Grand Final

Essendon are better than what was shown tonight. I remain very confident that we will improve on our ladder position next year

I cant believe that was 20 years ago :shock: I was at that game and I remember Gavin Excell and Barry Stoneham Gary Ablett tore us a new one.

If it makes anyone feel beter, hands up who remembers the 1993 Preliminary final :wink: Half time about 45 point down, 1 week later punishing Kernahan's scum for a baby Bomber premiership. I remember Greg "Booster" Anderson in tears as he realised the mistake he made switching from the Dons to the Human Wasteland, just to hang out with Mcdermott, MacGuiness, Hall and co.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

tonysoprano wrote:
My expectations were that we would lose, but by a lot less than 16 goals, more like 5 or 6.

My expectations were that todays post-match reports would say that despite being undermanned, the Bombers can be proud of there performance in a big final, and showed they are on the up - a team to watch in the next couple of years.

My expectations were we would be outclassed, but would never capitulate.

My expectations were that we would force Adelaide to work hard, rather than leak goals like a burst dam.

My expectations are that if you wear the red and black, you may not turn into an elite footballer, but you at least turn into a committed, desperate, tenacious underdog, who despite deep down knowing that aren't the equal of your opponent when it comes to experience or skill, you are the equal of your opponent when it comes to endeavour, intensity, and the desire to confirm you are an opponent worth of respect.
We WERE outclassed. You are reading too much into the score board. The gap of where these teams are at in their "permiership window" are enormous. They have massive bodies Adelaide, with veterans that are still playing excellent football. I dont think we dropped our heads at all, if thats what you mean by capitulation. It was just too big a class differance to make up. They did the same thing the week before kicking 21 goals after quarter time, against another finalist.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Jazz_84 wrote:
bombercol wrote:Last night was a huge experience for a young group but what it will do is give the club the hunger to improve next year.
yeah did you see the look on the boys faces as the siren went? that hurt them a lot and can only mean retribution for 2010!
Interviews Ive heard today from Prismall, McVeigh and Stanton back this up ... they are cut and bleeding - disappointed by their season and and want to get onto the training field to prep for 2010.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)