Slattery

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Slattery

Post by merc_2 »

Im interested in opinions on Slattery's game tonight. I will never question his endeavour, but seriously, this guy isnt up to the standard required in AFL. His turnovers cost us and he thinks he has speed to burn, takes on the opposition and gets caught constantly!
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Re: Slattery

Post by tonysoprano »

i thought he was terrible tonight - and did exactly what you say - thinks he has evasive skills and/or speed - but seriously doesn't. having said that - i reckon he has been serviceable often enough this year.
Last edited by tonysoprano on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

I say it all the time, and get howled down. Yes he has endeavour and desire. So do I, but I know I am not up to it. He isnt either.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

robbie67 wrote:I say it all the time, and get howled down. Yes he has endeavour and desire. So do I, but I know I am not up to it. He isnt either.
Exactly robbie.....well said!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I have been trying really hard not to comment on him in other threads but seeing as you asked nicely:

Slattery was bloody embarrassing tonight...people have been putting shit on Quinn who has just started in the game and yet he probably made fewer blunders than Slattery.

His decision making was appalling at times and he must have given away at least 4-5 free kicks as a result.

I know a lot of you see good stuff in him but I cringe every time he goes near the ball.

He did not enhance his reputation tonight!
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Yes, he was extremely poor tonight. Butchered the ball savagely in the 2nd half, and Knights carved him up.

But your mate was equally as bad in our F50 tonight. If you were wondering what the frack Andrew McLeod was doing running a merry dance all over the field setting up attack after attack, ask yourself the question - "where was Monfries?"
Essendunny
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

BenDoolan wrote:Yes, he was extremely poor tonight. Butchered the ball savagely in the 2nd half, and Knights carved him up.

But your mate was equally as bad in our F50 tonight. If you were wondering what the frack Andrew McLeod was doing running a merry dance all over the field setting up attack after attack, ask yourself the question - "where was Monfries?"
Wayne Carey in his prime wouldnt have got a kick inside our F50 tonight. It was barely there and when it did go in, it gave our forwards literally no chance! This thread isnt about Monfries...it is about Slattery!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

merc_2 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Yes, he was extremely poor tonight. Butchered the ball savagely in the 2nd half, and Knights carved him up.

Wayne Carey in his prime wouldnt have got a kick inside our F50 tonight. It was barely there and when it did go in, it gave our forwards literally no chance! This thread isnt about Monfries...it is about Slattery!
Nice retort. McPhee kicked 4 goals and spent half the game in defence.

How many kicks did McLeod get?
Essendunny
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I think he has the potential to be a half decent player. But he gives away far far FAR too many free kicks. When you're a small defender and the free kicks give the opposition a shot at goal that is inexcusable.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

If there was a stat for "in the back" he would surely lead it. when an opposition player is on the ground, on their hands and knees Slattery ALWAYS comes rushing in and gets called for in the back. He does it every week.

He hasnt been that bad though this season. He plays as our small supposed lock down defender. I think Houli has much more potential as a player, but would Houli be able to play that possie? Or would we just get someone else to fill it, and play Houli elsewhere?
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Our 2 back pockets were shocking - Slattery and Atkinson. I remain the only person on the planet that believes McVeigh will better serve the team going back into defense. I also believe (and have been howled down on this before) that Alwyn Davey could be moulded into a great small defender. Great tackler, has the pace to run off oponents.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

I think in general, Slattery has been good this year. However, when he has his bad games he gives away a lot of free kicks and turns it over. I think he is still in our best 22 until we can find players who can fill the positions.

I would like to see Houli and Reimers given the job as small defenders. Both are quick, and have good skills.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Slattery is honest and has a go. Last night he was awful.

Atkinson though tried hard but cost us I think 3 goals with awful mistakes.

I think Houli would be a better option if fit as he's a stronger body but his pace and disposal are very very good.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

How was Monfries' game last night, kicked the first goal and must have thought his job was done for the night because I didn't sight him for the rest of the night.

Oh but that's right your the one who gets all pissy when we bag the players, because we should be supporting them, oh wait what is the thread about, oh yeah I remember now, your the one that tells us not to bag the players, when in actuallity you mean don't bag the players you like, meanwhile you feel free to bag the shit out of other players.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

ealesy wrote:How was Monfries' game last night, kicked the first goal and must have thought his job was done for the night because I didn't sight him for the rest of the night.

Oh but that's right your the one who gets all pissy when we bag the players, because we should be supporting them, oh wait what is the thread about, oh yeah I remember now, your the one that tells us not to bag the players, when in actuallity you mean don't bag the players you like, meanwhile you feel free to bag the shit out of other players.
I'm a Monfries fan. I think Monfries always gives his all and last night he tried. The whole forward line was starved last night with how the Crows strangled the ground and made delivery to the forward 50 butchered and slow.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

ealesy wrote:How was Monfries' game last night, kicked the first goal and must have thought his job was done for the night because I didn't sight him for the rest of the night.

LOL....hilarious post!.....Selective reading obviously....Im not bagging the guy...he give his best...My point is he isn't up to it and not up to the standard required. He looked completely out of his depth last night. He gets caught, turns the ball over and cost us goals. Have another beer for me mate!
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Windy - You're absolutely right! McVeigh is a back-pocket lock-down player and really not much more. This is where he has played his best football and this is where he must return if we are going to get the best out of him.

With this stone cast - we kill two birds.......Slattery cannot be considered to be in our best 22.

Too often he butchers it (see the 2nd half of last nights game), he doesn't have the pace to keep up with the small 'nippy' forwards, his tackling is often late, awkward and behind (or all three), his decision making is McPhee-like and his skills by foot are not good - look at the tapes and see how many times his kicks land short.

Give me Reimer's moungrel, Atkinson's run or Quinn's endeavour anyday.

Like Nash - his time is nigh.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

OK, time for some reality - including myself. While Knights, O'Donnell, Prescott & Co are coaching at the club, Slattery is always going to be in our best 22. They regard him highly - particularly O'Donnell. The same applies to Monfries, the coaches love him - particularly Knights.

So both aren't going anywhere soon. Both played junk games at different ends of thye ground. Both need to improve their footy. Both are still young enough to achieve this.

Perhaps both would benefit if they could play on each other :lol:
Essendunny
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Lol. I think i made a thread on him two years ago about how he gives away too many free kicks and panics under pressure. The worst thing is how unnecessary his free kicks are - he'll jump into a bloke's back when they're already prone on the ground and unable to do anything, or bury them when they're 50cm from the boundary line, or chop a guy's arms when he's not even in the contest.

Good to see he's improving.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

He's been ok this yr. I have question marks on his role though. You can't just be an old style small defender any more. Shutting down a player is only half the job, you need to rebound quickly as well. I don't think he has the capabilities to improve in this area.