what the?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
damo22
Top Up Player

what the?

Post by damo22 »

Collingwood could offer Matthew Lloyd AFL deal
Mark Robinson | September 09, 2009 12:00am

EXCLUSIVE: MATTHEW Lloyd will this week demand Essendon coach Matthew Knights tell him if he is wanted in 2010. If the answer is no, Collingwood, one of Essendon's greatest rivals, will likely offer him a lifeline to continue playing.

The Herald Sun learned last night the Magpies have made discreet inquiries about the possibility of Lloyd playing at another club, should he walk from Windy Hill.

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire said last night: "Don't bring this up days out from a big final, but this is a decision for our football department. Any decision on trading will be made at the end of the season."

Lloyd has strong links with Collingwood.

His brother Simon is the high-performance manager and McGuire is a long-time friend who was MC at Lloyd's wedding.

The fact power forward Anthony Rocca is at the end of his career is not lost on the Magpies, either, although they will not be the only club interested in Lloyd.

The Western Bulldogs, who also are keen to sign a key forward, could have a choice of former Sydney firebrand Barry Hall or Lloyd.

Lloyd's clouded future - whether he stays, he retires or considers a move to another club - will be made clearer after his meeting with Knights tomorrow or on Friday.

The 31-year-old wants to continue at Essendon, which he joined in 1995, but is not convinced the coach wants him.

Knights reiterated last week that it was Lloyd's decision and that he would support whatever decision Lloyd made.

People close to Lloyd have said he was disappointed Knights again avoided the issue on Channel 10's One Week at a Time and wants to know from the coach, in an eye-to-eye conversation, if Knights wants him to play on and what role he would play.

If Knights says no, or Lloyd is not convinced he is wanted, he will then decide whether to continue his career at another club or retire.

He believes he has one, perhaps two years left, and that he could comfortably fill a Alastair Lynch-type role in the goalsquare.

Knights, however, is developing Jay Neagle for the key forward post, has experimented with Michael Hurley, and has hopes the injured Scott Gumbleton is the final piece in the forward jigsaw puzzle.

Lloyd, who played mainly at half-forward this year instead of his favoured full-forward position, where he has kicked 926 goals in 270 games, does not want to finish his career like his great mate, Scott Lucas.

Lucas lost Knights' support and was dropped to the VFL before he retired after Round 21.

So delicate is the Lloyd issue that his manager Andrew Neophito refused to comment last night and Bombers football manager Paul Hamilton did not return calls.

The Herald Sun was told the Bombers did not want to reveal the day of the Knights-Lloyd meeting in a bid to avoid the growing media attention.

i know this is a story just to sell papers but just imagine... lloydy in a filth jumper, makes me shudder
Last edited by damo22 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Re: what the?

Post by grassy1 »

KNIGHTA,if you let LLOYDIE Go under ANY Circumstances,especially to those SCUMBAGS,don't expect to get too far past JACK and JILL's place down the Road.There'll be a ROPE attached to the nearest CROSSBEAM and I'll be the 1st in Line to PULL IT if you EVER LET THAT EVENTUATE.

GOT IT? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Hmmm interesting!

Not sure about lynching MK for this as Lloyd needs to wait until after the meeting. Knights has always said its Lloyd decision and that they will sit down and talk it through. Can't understand why Lloyd would be upset Knights didn't want to discuss it in a public forumn as it should between the two of them and then to the football dept and his manager if they go forward.

I think Lloyd is worried that Knights may say "its up to you to continue BUT we can't guarantee you a game each week" and as he stated he doesn't want to finish like Lucas did.

Personally I would like to see Lloyd go on for another year but are we a real flag chance next year? If not then would Lloyd be then when we are?

Interesting times ahead.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Does KNIGHTS Need his HEAD READ?

It's BAD ENOUGH the ERRORS he made last week.Worse he doesn't leave LLOYD at FULL FORWARD.To further Compound it with the UNTHINKABLE POSSIBILITY that LLOYD may end up at a PACK of SCUMBAGS like that,let alone LEAVE the Club.

I'm telling you NOW Mathew.He LEAVES at your PERIL!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote:Does KNIGHTS Need his HEAD READ?

It's BAD ENOUGH the ERRORS he made last week.Worse he doesn't leave LLOYD at FULL FORWARD.To further Compound it with the UNTHINKABLE POSSIBILITY that LLOYD may end up at a PACK of SCUMBAGS like that,let alone LEAVE the Club.

I'm telling you NOW Mathew.He LEAVES at your PERIL!
If that's the case, then Lloyd can get fcked.
Essendunny
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Herald Scum trying to stir up trouble IMO.

What has Knights done wrong? He has kept the issue out of the media completely, and put the responsibility on Lloyd regarding the decision to play next year. I think this is fair enough. I also think that behind closed doors, that Knights will say that he'd like him to stay on for the year, if he has the hunger and believes that he can get back to playing good footy.

For those who think that Knights should come out and say that he wants him to stay on next year, what happens if his form is poor, and he needs to go back to the VFL? How will that look? The ball is in Lloyds court. If he believes that he can come out next year and contribute, he will play on. I also think that passing on the captaincy will allow him to focus purely on footy, ans we will see a better player.

Let's be honest, he was fairly average this year.
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

Hmmm sounds to me that Lloydy is having a sooky la la...
Don't do a Sheeds and ruin your reputation...
Have been an awesome player for us over many years but maybe it is time.

Go out in style eg. Like Sir James...

Go to the scum and that is like screwing another Mans Wife...

Unforgivable!!!

Don't even go there. [-X
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Meh, I find it all a bit hard to believe. Having said that though, Knights has left the decision up to Lloyd, so what more does Lloyd want? He hasnt been good enough the last few years, for us to be down on bended knee. As for playing a Lynch type roll, that's all very well if you are playing well enough. Lloyd simply isnt.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Why does this matter need to be kept private? If Knights wants Lloyd as his full forward next year, there's absolutely nothing stopping him from saying so publicly. Knights is creating a far bigger issue out of this matter through not publicly supporting him to go on next year.

Lloyd has every right to feel aggrieved. He gets played out of position in favour of Neagle who at best is average, and at worst, a liability. It's little wonder he's seeking various assurances from the club and Knights.

Lloyd should tell Knights that (a) he wants to play every game next year, and (b) he want to be played at full forward. If Knights can't guarantee him that, he should either retire or head to another club, depending on what he wants to do. Clearly Collingwood wouldn't have a problem making him their fulltime full forward.

I wouldn't have a problem if Lloyd goes to another club. I can't understand Essendon want to develop younger players in key positions, and I also understand that a fit and firing Lloyd is still a fearsome weapon in any football team. I just hope the matter is handled professionally and amicably.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I simply do not believe a word of this.

During Hirdy's reign, I won several bets from experts that reckoned Hird was going to leave and join f*** knows who. James was the most dedicated Essendon person I have ever met. I put Lloydy in the same category.

I first became aware of Lloydy when the twos used to play at the Richmond ground and you could drop in and see them on the way to the "G".

I was standing on the perimeter of the crowd listening to the coach give his half time speech, when I got a tap on the shoulder. This tall, wide eyed kid was trying to push throuh the crowd to get into the players huddle and said to me on the way through, "Jeez, I better listen to this. He's talking about me!!"

I thought at the time, after watching him play, that this was a player of the future. He just seemed to be so focussed on the job at hand, totally fearless and totally dedicated. Nothing has changed in his character whereas the body doesn't quite do what it is ordered to do

Lloyd is an Essendon person through and through. This crap may in fact be a bit of positioning to influence Knighta, but nothing more. I just want this to be resolved and it looks like it is only days away.

I want to see him play next year
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Wally
Top Up Player

Post by Wally »

Lloyd has not put this out in the media himself, it is the scumbag journalists (in this case Mark Robinson) who has jumped all over this and made it a story because of Knights reluctance to commit to him. Whether we like it or not, in this day and age of media driven dribble, you MUST confirm intentions through the media. They feed off uncertainty and at the smallest hint of an issue, they will try and manifest it into the biggest story of their careers - regardless of truth or who gets caught in the middle. Remember, this is the same tool who hung Wallace out to dry and prematurely published his sacking with NO fact at all.

All Knights has had to say in the past, is Yes, Lloyd is a required player at the club next year and I want him there. Instead he has danced around any questions and came up with lame answers such as it's Matty's decision ... he has been a champion blah, blah, blah and if HE believes he can do this and HE believes he can do that etc etc etc.

Lloyd has done nothing wrong, he clearly wants to play on, knows he can contribute, has played it KNIGHTS' way in the past couple of seasons by playing up the ground, however I am sure realises that he is only a one position player - as we all know he is and is down on confidence as a result. As with all players nearing the end of their career, he just needs reassurance from the man making the decisions.

At the end of the day, the club is bigger than the individual - correct, but don't hang out to dry champions who have given their heart and soul or start to disrespect them the way this is starting to pan out. Learn from the huge mistakes made with the Lucas sacking. Regardless of your agenda or future plan, Lloyd at Full Forward next year is streets ahead of anyone else on our list.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Herald-Sun beat up of the 1st degree.

Let's add a bit of Lloyd, A lot of Collingwood, Put it on a banner in finals week and shake!

F***ing typical Hun journalism....even though it was by Robbo. [-X
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

What were the "huge mistakes" with Lucas' "sacking"??!!

He was told at the start of the season (just like Lloyd and Fletch were) that his destiny was in his own hands. He was told that if he performed well and his form warranted a spot in the team, then he would have a spot in the team for as long as he wanted.

He was also informed that if his form did not warrant a spot in the team, then he would not be carried.

Lucas was horribly out of form and was carried for a number of weeks, during which we received little to no output from him, but he was carried for those weeks, because he is a club champion and Knights wanted to give him every opportunity to re find his form.

He couldn't so he was dropped and told to find some form at Bendigo. He played a couple of weeks at Bendigo, showed some signs of improved form and as a result was brought back into the senior team.

Once back in the senior team he performed well for a 3-4 week period, but then started to struggle with form again. It became clear he was fast becoming a spent force.

Missed a couple of games through injury, and his form prior to injury did not warrant immediate inclusions back into the seniors.

His form over the year convinced Knights that Lucas was no longer part of his future plans, he let Lucas know this and as a result Lucas decided to retire.

I'm not sure what huge mistakes Knighta or the club made here. Lucas was informed before the season that his future would be determined by his form, for the majority of the season his form was poor thus leading them to decide he was no longer part of their future plans. Once they reached this decison they informed Lucas.

It would have been nice to give Lucas a farewell game, but we weren't going to gift him a game while we were in the race for the finals. Meanwhile if Lucas had waited to the end of the year to retire, he would have played in the final against Adelaide given Lloyd was out suspended. However, he decided to pull the pin early because he realised he wasn't up to it.

Not sure how Knights or the club can be accused of making huge mistakes in terms of their handling of Scott Lucas this year.

In terms of Lloyd, he clearly wants to play full-forward, that is his best position and he has struggled this year playing up the ground. However, Knights has also made it clear that Lloyd won't be used in this role.

Therefore, they need to get together discuss what his role would be, where he would be playing, whether he believes he can have an impact playing that role etc. Until they have this discussion, neither Lloyd can state for certain that he wants to play on at Essendon next year, nor can Knights state with certainity that there is a spot in the team for Lloyd next year.
auditor
High Draft Pick

Post by auditor »

I for one do not think this will happen. :-k

If it does however then Matty will always be a champ in my eyes. He given his all for our great club.

If the likes of the Filth are going to make a play on Matty then all the fools they are given the fact that Matty may have 1-2 yrs at tops left in him tells me that they are heading in a backwards direction.

Matty needs to be cast in bronze and placed outside of Windy Hill as one of the true greats of Essendon. =D>
It just fell out of the sky
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Are people honestly having a go at Lloyd for an article in the Hun?

This is complete BS just like our resigning of Knights earlier this year.

They want to be the first with the news, they don't care whether it is accurate.
auditor
High Draft Pick

Post by auditor »

The Filth has just denied they are interested in recruiting Matty on the midday ABC news radio.

There you go.
It just fell out of the sky
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

I believe Lloyd knows of his role next year (ie. playing the modern game and being able to move around the ground - there is no such thing as a modern full-forward because numbers are always placed behind the ball, so there is no long direct kick to the goal square - especially given our game style).

So, I'm guessing he wants it re-confirmed this is still the direction. We know he wants to play as a traditional full forward, however the game is becoming increasingly less traditional. So, from my point of view - the team comes first and Knights is well within his rights to place the Club and the Team first - not the individual - regardless of past glories and reputations.

Supporters and sponsors want success - and it is the Club's and the coaches and players responsibilities to deliver on that.

From my point of view - if Lloydy does not want to be a part of that future then we should leave it up to his discretion to leave no matter what Club he would then decide to play with - as hard as that would be.

However, I'm pretty convinced his best days are past him so I'm not too concerned either way. I just want success!!
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

im 100% confident Knights is giving the media absolutely nothing by saying it's up to Lloyd, which is what he wants and "towelling up" the media doing so!

when it comes to the time Knights will say YES! we want you. and the first we'll all know about it is about 30 seconds after that contract is signed!

he wont be going anywhere, and to think that is absurd!

3.7 goals a game!!! (thats playing at least 1 final)
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

There is a f****** picture of him in a Filth jumper on the back cover. He must sue for defamation!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

WTF are you talking about Ben?

Losing LLOYDIE Would be the WORST thing that could happen to us.It is PISSWEAK of KNIGHTS to say it's Up to LLOYDIE.The obvious thing to tell LLOYDIE is that It's BUSINESS as USUAL,See you next year.You start at FULL FORWARD(and there IS such a Thing if we BLOODY Kick it to him PROPERLY)and if there's a need to move you elsewhere onfield when things aren't working,,I'm sure you'll FULFILL the Role to the UTMOST of your ABILITY.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Then it's a DEAD STORY.As long as we f*** ABOUT on this,those PRICKS will continue to feed it as much as they can.As much as people SHIT ON SHEEDS these days in here,he's Right about 1 thing.It's the PRO-COLLINGWOOD Press we are Dealing with here.Do you think the FILTH would JUMP at the chance to GRAB LLOYDIE and PARADE him around as a MAJOR COUP(Whilst Rubbing Our Noses in it)?OF COURSE THEY BLOODY WOULD!

SETTLE THE ISSUE NOW MATHEW KNIGHTS!HE STAYS AS PER NORMAL.JESUS f****** CHRIST!I can't believe You've made a RIGHT BLOODY BUNGLE of THIS :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: