Jay Neagle

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Re: Jay Neagle

Post by boncer34 »

gringo wrote:
boncer34 wrote:
gringo wrote: Doesn't really tell me much Bonce!

Fact remains that Neagle is going to have turn things around very quickly if he plan's on playing ones next year and furthering his career at Essendon. Now is not the time to be a key forward at Essendon down on form/never had any good form.
No the fact remains that up till this point in their careers Lloyd and Neagle aren't much different. Come back to me next year after Neagle has played a full 22 games after a full pre-season AND he's not living in the Lloyd and Lucas shadow.
Yes, Lucas cast a MASSSSSSSSSSSSIVE shadow this season, as did Lloyd playing up the ground on a flank. Neagle had all year to make full forward his own/show some promise. He did neither. Last chance next year.
Rubbish. He played 12 games. Lucas played 14 and Neagle got dropped when Lucas showed a bit of form because Knighta was giving Lucas one last hurrah, it failed. Neagle came back and Lucas disappeared.

Show some promise.... lol. He kicked multiple goals in 50% of his games this year. But nah, no promise.

Come back when you've got something constructive to say Gring-a-ding rather then your usual dribble.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Time will tell Bonce. Time will tell.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

gringo wrote:Time will tell Bonce. Time will tell.
Indeed it will Shaun.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Filthy wrote:
boncer34 wrote:
gringo wrote:Time will tell Bonce. Time will tell.
Indeed it will Shaun.
GOLD! :D =D> :D =D>
Two of BTs' great minds combining!

Keep it coming fellas. Tremendous stuff!
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Lol.

Last year won't be Neagle's last, that's for sure. He just signed a two year contract.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

gringo wrote:
boncer34 wrote:Why do people forget about Still when talking of the future?

Also Gring-a-ding you'll lose credibility mentioning Chook because for some reason people on here refuse to aknowledge that the bloke is actually a decent forward line player despite being a sub-par ruckman.

As for Neagle. I think your being a touch premature here Gring, Neagle is only 21 years old. You can say hes had 4 years at the club but how many of those has he had to sit behind Lloyd and Lucas? He only debuted in 2007 and had only played 8 games in total (1 in 07 and 8 in 08) untill this year where he played 12. I think he still shows promise, a couple of half seasons isn't really enough to judge the kid (yes he's still a kid) on. Hell before this year he was still eligible for the rising star. Shows you how little chance he's been given doesn't it?

Also for comparison sake Lloyd only scored 5 more goals then Neagle up to this point in his career and Scotty Lucas had kicked less then Neagle.
Lloyd kicked a total of 88 goals in his first three seasons at an average of 2.44

Lucas kicked a total of 83 goals in his first three seasons at an average of 1.69

Neagle kicked a total of 30 goals in his first three seasons at an average of 1.5

Fair to say "Also for comparison sake Lloyd only scored 5 more goals then Neagle up to this point in his career and Scotty Lucas had kicked less then Neagle" is complete bullshit.

Lloyd kicked 25 Goals in his first 16 games
Neagle kicked 30 in his first 20 Games (his total played to date)

I dont have the numbers for lloyds next 4 games but I seriously doubt it was 64 goals!!!

Sorry Gringo, you are not comparing apples with apples
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Windy_Hill wrote:
gringo wrote:
boncer34 wrote:Why do people forget about Still when talking of the future?

Also Gring-a-ding you'll lose credibility mentioning Chook because for some reason people on here refuse to aknowledge that the bloke is actually a decent forward line player despite being a sub-par ruckman.

As for Neagle. I think your being a touch premature here Gring, Neagle is only 21 years old. You can say hes had 4 years at the club but how many of those has he had to sit behind Lloyd and Lucas? He only debuted in 2007 and had only played 8 games in total (1 in 07 and 8 in 08) untill this year where he played 12. I think he still shows promise, a couple of half seasons isn't really enough to judge the kid (yes he's still a kid) on. Hell before this year he was still eligible for the rising star. Shows you how little chance he's been given doesn't it?

Also for comparison sake Lloyd only scored 5 more goals then Neagle up to this point in his career and Scotty Lucas had kicked less then Neagle.
Lloyd kicked a total of 88 goals in his first three seasons at an average of 2.44

Lucas kicked a total of 83 goals in his first three seasons at an average of 1.69

Neagle kicked a total of 30 goals in his first three seasons at an average of 1.5

Fair to say "Also for comparison sake Lloyd only scored 5 more goals then Neagle up to this point in his career and Scotty Lucas had kicked less then Neagle" is complete bullshit.

Lloyd kicked 25 Goals in his first 16 games
Neagle kicked 30 in his first 20 Games (his total played to date)

I dont have the numbers for lloyds next 4 games but I seriously doubt it was 64 goals!!!

Sorry Gringo, you are not comparing apples with apples
Yes I am. All three players have played three seasons of football. I'm looking at their respsective productivity from those seasons.

Why should the fact that Neagle was too shit to keep a spot in our team this year have anything to do with it?

Regardless, you just need to watch Neagle play to realise he's not even close to the level that Lloyd and Lucas were three years into their careers.

Stop trying to build this bloke up into more than he is. He's a third round pick, unfit, no second effort type forward with a big body, reasonable kick and good hands. I wouldn't feel the need to write such posts if y'all didn't spend most days blowing hot air up his coyte.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Move on Gringo....Lloyd is on the way out one way or another and will not be a part of our next premiership side whilst Neagle is a genuine chance to be in it as long as he stays injury free.

The team is bigger than the individual and Knights understands this even if you don't.

Moving forward with Neagle as our full forward is better for future success than playing Lloyd at full forward for one more year.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

gringo wrote: Yes I am. All three players have played three seasons of football. I'm looking at their respsective productivity from those seasons.

Why should the fact that Neagle was too shit to keep a spot in our team this year have anything to do with it?

Regardless, you just need to watch Neagle play to realise he's not even close to the level that Lloyd and Lucas were three years into their careers.

Stop trying to build this bloke up into more than he is. He's a third round pick, unfit, no second effort type forward with a big body, reasonable kick and good hands. I wouldn't feel the need to write such posts if y'all didn't spend most days blowing hot air up his coyte.
Lol. Take out your bitter attempts to continue to write him off and essentially what your saying is we should just ignore the fact that he's been behind 2 champions of the club for the first 2 years and at the same time ignore that Lloyd and Lucas didn't have that problem? BTW he was a 3rd round pick because we took him because he was a F/S pick. All the F/S picks were 3rd round.

Face it shaun, you're reaching,
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

danstar84 wrote:Also, Neagle has set up a number of goals from his follow up work. In the Hawks game, he may have only kicked one, but go back to the tape, he set up at least another 3 with good second efforts and bodywork.
This.

He has talent - takes a great string grab, busts packs, very accurate goal kicker.*
Just needs more fitness.

*On the back of the Age sport today, there's a bit about most accurate set shot kicking (across the league) over the past 3 season - Mr Neagle is 3rd at 85%.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Neagle's other problem is that our 2nds are absolutely pox (sorry again Bonce). But the bastard just can't develop his game, or find form in a team that gets polaxed by 15 goals a week. Has Neagle kicked a bag of 4 goals or more at VFL level? I don't think he has.

Anyway, I think we all understand that Jay has to work a fair bit harder.
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Look you lot, lets be reasonable. The kids has a bit of ability, but appears to be a fatty who doesnt like work too much. If, and it's a big IF, he turns it around, and gets himself AFL fit, he could be a weapon. He is still miles away from that at the moment though.
ace076
Regular Senior Player

Post by ace076 »

agree 100% Robbie. While I don't write him off, not by a long way, I think we ALL suffer from what is affectionately known as Rose Coloured Glasses. I believe he seriously needs a "break out" game where he kicks 5 or 6 and stamps his authority. Time will tell whether he is capable of it. If you compare him to someone like Tippett, who has had a few of these games, all of a sudden his upside doesn't seem so grand. LIFT Jay LIFT!!!!! you have a wonderful opportunity in front of you!!!!
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

Founding Captain of the Bombertalk Blacks.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

ace076 wrote:agree 100% Robbie. While I don't write him off, not by a long way, I think we ALL suffer from what is affectionately known as Rose Coloured Glasses. I believe he seriously needs a "break out" game where he kicks 5 or 6 and stamps his authority. Time will tell whether he is capable of it. If you compare him to someone like Tippett, who has had a few of these games, all of a sudden his upside doesn't seem so grand. LIFT Jay LIFT!!!!! you have a wonderful opportunity in front of you!!!!

I reckon this bit sums it up. We are all waiting for this "break out game" to happen but it still hasn't.
It needs to happen next year (preferably early in the season) or else this guy is going to end up as one of those blokes who shows heaps of "potential" but never makes it. Even Scott Cummings, who was also a bit on the lazy side, kicked a few bags here and there. Come on, Jay, show us what you can do.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Needs one hell of a preseason...has to get fit and get to more contests. Needs to win more of the ball....Hoping he makes it..but I have my doubts.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

This year we got it down there often enough but could not convert. Lloyd was usually up the ground, Scotty was struggling, Monfies was hot and cold and Davey had a lousy year. And Jay was very average. Plus, enough said about our delivery into the forward line. All our talent seems to be on the backline and in the midfield.

The forward structure needs a major rethink, 'cos it just aint working, and Jay is a key component of this forward line.

I will probably get howled down, but I would rather see Laycock at full forwar than Jay at present.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

rockhole wrote:This year we got it down there often enough but could not convert. Lloyd was usually up the ground, Scotty was struggling, Monfies was hot and cold and Davey had a lousy year. And Jay was very average. Plus, enough said about our delivery into the forward line. All our talent seems to be on the backline and in the midfield.

The forward structure needs a major rethink, 'cos it just aint working, and Jay is a key component of this forward line.

I will probably get howled down, but I would rather see Laycock at full forwar than Jay at present.
:shock:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Damn straight you're going to get howled down.

People complain about Jay Neagles lack of fitness, well hell until this season Laycock has not suffered anywhere near as much with injuries and in particular interuptted pre-seasons (Neagle hasn't had anything approaching a full pre-season yet), and Laycock has never approached anything resembling the fitness levels required of an AFL player.

If you look at him, he has always been soft a pudgy, and has lacked muscle definition which can be seen in how easily he gets shoved aside in ruck and marking contests, sometimes by guys who are much smaller than him.

He looks scared of the ball, he drops simple marks because he hears footsteps, for a bloke his sidse he would easily have to be one of the softest blokes in the competition. Rarely, if ever puts his body on the line.

At least Neagle crashes the pack, creates a contest and brings the ball to the ground, not that helps us overly because we don't have anything resembling a crumbing small forward, who would know what the f*** to do with the ball even if they did manage to rove a contest.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

ace076 wrote:agree 100% Robbie. While I don't write him off, not by a long way, I think we ALL suffer from what is affectionately known as Rose Coloured Glasses. I believe he seriously needs a "break out" game where he kicks 5 or 6 and stamps his authority. Time will tell whether he is capable of it. If you compare him to someone like Tippett, who has had a few of these games, all of a sudden his upside doesn't seem so grand. LIFT Jay LIFT!!!!! you have a wonderful opportunity in front of you!!!!

Kurt Tippet has played 42 games kicking 68 goals at an average of 1.6 a game
Jay has played 20 games kicking 30 goals at 1.5 a game

We need to give this kid a chance to get fit, to play 50 games and have the opportunity of coming out from behind the very sizeable shadows of both Lucas and Lloyd

If so, then he can easily be a 50+goal full forward
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Lloyd (particularly) and Lucas were machines on the training track since before they came to the club. Neagle was a big podgy bastard with the training ethic of a mule.

However, In terms of raw talent and physical capacity (I'm talking potential here, rather than actual) I have a feeling that Neagle is at least the equal of both of them. From memory Quinn and Cormack were both astounded by Jay's capabilities as a power athlete.

It will be interesting to see what he can do with a full preseason because he was actually chasing, harassing and tackling deep into the fourth quarter against Adelaide which I've never seen before.

Lloyd and Neagle fighting for the square is good for the team and for both players providing we can get Lloydy's head right. He needs to get back to being a greedy bastard rather than a captain who's worrying about everyone else.