In a heartbeat

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Re: In a heartbeat

Post by DC »

been saying that since I heard Lovett wanted out.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

would rather both of them in the side... Burgoyne, as good as he is/was, just doesnt quite have the speed and x-factor that Lovey has.

Heard on SEN that apparently Burgoyne wants to go to the Hawks (what is the fascination of that club... O'Keefe, Gibson now Burgoyne all want to be at the Hawks....??)
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Burgoyne to the Dawks for a first round pick apparently...

:roll:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Why is it that you never hear about star players wanting to come to Essendon??? Are we that much on the nose with other players? I would have thought that Essendon, the most successful club in the league, a current squad brimming with potential, and money to burn, would be a fantastic option?

Surely a deal can be done for Burgoyne (as it should have been done for O'Keefe last year!!)

Add one or two quality players to our list and the potential will surely be realised

As much as I would like to keep Lovett, if he is going to go, then lets get serious about chasing a star replacement - not a draft pick

Sheedy was generally reluctant to trade for ready made stars = probably because they were not of his making (or perhaps he was still feeling the heat fom the Richardson/Raines fiasco in 1986). Knoghts has got to be smarter (and less pig headed) and demand from the Essendon Board the autonomy and financial support to secure the best available talent.

As for te money that Burgoyne is demanding - big deal, let him have what he wants. If he is after 700K+ then that is fine. If Lloyd retires, there's the cash. By the time we are feeling salary cap pressure in 4-5 years (after the likes of Hurley and other young stars have reached the big bucks contracts), Burgoyne will be on the Veterans List

Come on Essendon, make a statement - go for gold, chase the talent
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Burgoyne will never be on a clubs veteran list, a player has to off been at a club for 10 years before they are eligible to be on that club's veteran list.

In other words he would be 36/37 before being eligible for another club's veteran list.

If he wants $750K a year, I cannot see anyway he can get to the Hawks.

The problem I see us having is that I think Port have said they are only interested in picks, I don't think we should, nor will we be willing to trade pick 10.

I reckon Lovett for Burgoyne, maybe with our third or fourth round pick, would be what we are looking at, if Lovett is truly intent on pissing off. Not sure if Port would be interested if they are only interested in picks.

Not sure why they are only interested in picks given this is a supposedly weak draft, in Lovett they would get a very good player, pick 10 could very well produce them with a spud.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Shaun Burgoyne for pick 10? That's like getting a blow-job from Angelina Jolie for a fiver. If they're happy with that, get it done.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

andrewb wrote:Shaun Burgoyne for pick 10? That's like getting a blow-job from Angelina Jolie for a fiver. If they're happy with that, get it done.
She did me for a fiver, only proviso was that Brad had to watch - meh, why not!! :twisted:
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Windy_Hill wrote:Why is it that you never hear about star players wanting to come to Essendon??? Are we that much on the nose with other players? I would have thought that Essendon, the most successful club in the league, a current squad brimming with potential, and money to burn, would be a fantastic option?
I wonder the same thing every trade period.... i cant believe that Hawthorn is the preferred club for so many players (im thinking its because they are closer to a flag than we are at the moment).

For once surely Essendon can go all out and bring a champion player to the club, im not fussed about draft picks this year.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Why is it that you never hear about star players wanting to come to Essendon??? Are we that much on the nose with other players? I would have thought that Essendon, the most successful club in the league, a current squad brimming with potential, and money to burn, would be a fantastic option?

For once surely Essendon can go all out and bring a champion player to the club, im not fussed about draft picks this year.
Totally Agree Mrs
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

And this draft is supposed to be shit.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

j-mac31 wrote:And this draft is supposed to be shit.
Yep all the more reason to give away picks for quality, ready made players.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:And this draft is supposed to be shit.
Yep all the more reason to give away picks for quality, ready made players.
ditto