Hooker in 2010.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
F111
Essendon Legend

Hooker in 2010.

Post by F111 »

Young bloke gave a good account of himself generally in 2009 I thought. he wasn't always good, he doesn't look fashionable, but he had a crack. He had opportunity thru injury to others and took that with both hands.

He played a variety of roles starting down back and taking some big names. He then migrated to the ruck, culminating in the disappointing EF in Adelaide.

Presuming we get our injured players back, eg Hille, Laycock and Gumbleton, with Ryder probably still spending time rucking, where do we see Cale next year?

Can he hold down chb? Should he get 8-10 games there to consolidate?
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Re: Hooker in 2010.

Post by Crazyman »

Yeah, assuming all our primary rucks are fit and firing, I think he will be put back in defence as CHB. As you have stated, he had a pretty good year and IMHO, deserves to at least be in the starting side if fit for the first round and see where it goes from there...
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

I think we view him as a potential CHB, third tall backman or third tall forward.

I reckon he will be given the opportunity next year to nail down CHB. Although I'm somewhat concerned about his ability to be a key backman, I mean Kurt Tippet absolutely ripped him to piece the first time we played Adelaide, so much so that he was briefly moved of Tippet and onto Walker, and in about the 7 minutes he Walker kicked 2 goals, when he did nothing before or after this.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

I like his pace for a tall guy and his willingness to take guys on. He fits right into our running and carry style of game. Very mobile. He is maybe light on strength. Maybe he can do some strength training which is different to weight training, so he can get stronger without having to bulk up to much and lose that pace.

Still raw but definitely worth giving a shot at CHB. How old is this bloke anyway?

Neagle
Hurley
Hooker
Pears

Where does Gumby fit in??
Fletch and Gumby to play as 3rd talls in defense and up font respectively?
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

DC, I think you will find that it will be more like

Neagle
Gumby
Hooker
Pears

Freeing up Fletch and Hurls to be the third talls either back and forward as necessary...

Another option is to put Hurls in either of the at FB and free up Pears to play a similar role to that of an Adam Goodes...

As has been stated elsewhere, our tall division is looking very very strong with several players able to go forward or back without any problems...we also have a plethora of players who can run and carry the ball, however, these players need to improve their disposal effeciency and defensive pressure when they don't have the pill...

The team is there, it is getting that consistency and improvement that will take time...
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

MASSIVE engine for a big guy. Was a midfielder up until a few years ago when he shot up. Still a bit gangly and uncoordinated but you'd expect that to be ironed out with time. I actually see him as a spare parts man - J Waite type utility. Once he builds up his strength a bit he'll be ideal for the mobile forwards like Reiwoldt and will match up well with guys like Richo. Not sure he reads the play well enough to be a long term CHB option.

Could be anything.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Crazyman wrote:DC, I think you will find that it will be more like

Neagle
Gumby
Hooker
Pears

Freeing up Fletch and Hurls to be the third talls either back and forward as necessary...

Another option is to put Hurls in either of the at FB and free up Pears to play a similar role to that of an Adam Goodes...

As has been stated elsewhere, our tall division is looking very very strong with several players able to go forward or back without any problems...we also have a plethora of players who can run and carry the ball, however, these players need to improve their disposal effeciency and defensive pressure when they don't have the pill...

The team is there, it is getting that consistency and improvement that will take time...
Jeez, I hope it's not like that.

Neagle at fullforward, on current form, is an average to poor key position player in the AFL.

Hooker, on current form, is also average to poor for a key position player.

Gumby is unproven at an AFL level.

Pears is an above average key position player.

If we line up with a spine like that we will be slaughtered.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Sorry gringo, but: "Pears is an above average key position player." or is that as high as your scale goes?

I think Hooker is a good depth player who is capable in many positions. WIll be very handy goind forward.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Sismis wrote:Sorry gringo, but: "Pears is an above average key position player." or is that as high as your scale goes?

I think Hooker is a good depth player who is capable in many positions. WIll be very handy goind forward.
How would you rate Pears then? Above average is a very accurate description in my view. He's probably be in the top 40% of key position players in the AFL which makes him above average.

Hooker would be in the bottom 20%, as would Neagle, at this stage. They both are young however and should progress through the ranks.

Why try and build them up to be something they currently are not?
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

gringo wrote:
Sismis wrote:Sorry gringo, but: "Pears is an above average key position player." or is that as high as your scale goes?

How would you rate Pears then? Above average is a very accurate description in my view. He's probably be in the top 40% of key position players in the AFL which makes him above average.

Hooker would be in the bottom 20%, as would Neagle, at this stage. They both are young however and should progress through the ranks.

Because we all support Essendon and are so blinded by our passion for our great club and can only see all of our players as elite.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

gringo wrote:How would you rate Pears then? Above average is a very accurate description in my view. He's probably be in the top 40% of key position players in the AFL which makes him above average.

Both Neagle and Hooker are at least in the top 50% of KPPs - there are a hell of a lot of big men out there who aren't even getting a game and both would be walk up starts for most clubs. Pears would be in the top 15-20% - he's already one of the better full backs going around. Got to remember that there's around 700 on AFL lists.

From my perspective they're both coming along nicely. Neagle has been a bit slow off the mark because of the stress fractures but he looks very dangerous around the sticks. Hooker has been the real surprise package - he's been played out of position for half the season but had a real crack every week and never dropped his head.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Gives a fantastic effort, quick and moves well for a big man.
Oh and he's only in his second year and spent a lot of that in the ruck.

Where he plays will depend which end Hurley goes.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.