16 goals in a whole game?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
pear
On the Rookie List

Re: 16 goals in a whole game?

Post by pear »

Couldn't agree more - it was the same with the Filth v Saints final, like watching paint dry
Bleeding for the red and black
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

It was a very negative affair !!! I guess some finals have a tendency to be like this. However I dont think its any coincidence that Lyon's St Kilda are always one of the sides in these low scoring games.

I thought the Dogs started in a style a la the way we thrashed the Saints for 3/4s , pressure on the man, running through lines and taking risks. But St Kilda clogged it up and the Dogs were made to do the ring a ring rosy before getting into their forward line. The reason it worked for us is that we had big forward targets and we could break their rolling zone down.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It was watching rugby for alot of the game. Players gaining 20-30 metres down the boundary. The Dogs playing next week would have made it an exciting GF, St.Kilda will make it another boring one.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

The Dogs are perennially shite - as are the aints.

Tonights winner will win the G.F.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I agree Hop.
Menzie!! ❤️

Regards

MH_Bomber
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

What fking world are you guys in. That was a very good game of football.

Sometimes you can appreciate the contest, you dont need 20 goals each to be a good game.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nomolos wrote:What fking world are you guys in. That was a very good game of football.

Sometimes you can appreciate the contest, you dont need 20 goals each to be a good game.
Add me along with you. I found that I was quite tense watching that game. It was enormous pressure at every contest. Loved it. It was amazing to see that many smothers and "touched of the boot" efforts IMO. That's finals footy. Immense pressure.
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote:
nomolos wrote:What fking world are you guys in. That was a very good game of football.

Add me along with you. I found that I was quite tense watching that game. It was enormous pressure at every contest. Loved it. It was amazing to see that many smothers and "touched of the boot" efforts IMO. That's finals footy. Immense pressure.
I'll back that in to. BTW BD I'm not sure if you're just winding me up. ;) You know what I mean.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

I'll back that in to. BTW BD I'm not sure if you're just winding me up. ;) You know what I mean.
Me? Would I do that? :P :wink:
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote:Me? Would I do that? :P :wink:
:D :D
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Heart stopping finals slugfest. Loved it!!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

notice motagna didnt rack up many. Too tough for that little rapist punk in a massive pressure game like that.

I too thought it was a good game. Pressure was immense for like 4 quarters. Go me thinking we have a way to go in order to compete in that sort of pressure.

Another thing I noted was how little free kicks were paid. And I think that in large was due to how good both sides are. You hardly saw any infringments.Tackles and most spoils were spot on. Hardly any dumb in the backs...yes Slattery Im looking at YOU!
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Pressure, Close Finals game Yes --------but if the puppies had a reasonable forward line I.E. at least some players over 6ft would they have played the same style of football?

However i prefer our style of fast football. Lyons, Roos, Shithouse of the filth & Craig can stick there negative game plan.

From all my observations from over the years, finals are won by having talls who can take a contested mark in the forward 50. Watch the puppies pursue Barry Hall for next year.!!! This won us games in the finals with Lloyd, Lucas, Daniher, Madden Vanders, Merrett etc. This is why we are developing Neagle, Gumby, Hurley, Hille, Ryder & perhaps Lazycock to play forward

Also straighter kicking early on by the puppies would have changed the Aint's game plan if they were 5 goals down.

Memo to the Bombers (Watson & co), do not miss gettable goals, especially early, from inside 50 as this puts scoreboard pressure on the opposition.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

That was one of the best games of football I have seen for sometime...enormous pressure from both sides for the whole four quarters. The scoreboard was irrelevant when thinking of the game itself...I would be happy to watch games like that week after week because both sides wrer trying to score but the opposition pressure/defence was too good.

I can't believe that anyone could have found that game boring. :shock:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I watched the game and hated it. I had no interest in either team but found the number of errors, clangers, turnovers, poor decisions incredibly frustrating.

f*** me the number of times players simply took the wrong option or were put under the kosh by a horrible handball....made me think of my days playing U/11's at Mirrabooka

Nope, the scoreline made this game interesting - the rest of it simply sucked
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

This.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Problem with this game is that the pressure build up and hard contests were largely casued by shit disposal and players taking the wrong option resulting in lots of ugly packs.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Windy_Hill wrote:I watched the game and hated it. I had no interest in either team but found the number of errors, clangers, turnovers, poor decisions incredibly frustrating.

f*** me the number of times players simply took the wrong option or were put under the kosh by a horrible handball....made me think of my days playing U/11's at Mirrabooka

Nope, the scoreline made this game interesting - the rest of it simply sucked
This.

It was between the losers and the other losers.

A great team played tonight - they will win next week!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Windy_Hill wrote:

Problem with this game is that the pressure build up and hard contests were largely casued by shit disposal and players taking the wrong option resulting in lots of ugly packs.
Or was the shit disposal caused by the immense pressure applied by both sides
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I find the St Kilda game style boring.They are like robots.

I didnt mind the tightness of the final and it was entralling in that it was topsy turvey. However St Kilda are not a flashy side and I think my hatred of Riewoldt went up about 100 notches after that dive at the start of the 3rd qtr.
Menzie!! ❤️

Regards

MH_Bomber