Farewell Champ and Thanks - Lloyd Retires

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Farewell Champ and Thanks - Lloyd Retires

Post by Windy_Hill »

Will be announced today

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2009/ ... 93946.html

Here are the stats from an incredible career

Lloyd's career
Matches: 270

Goals: 926. Kicked his first goal with his first kick in his first game

International rules series: 1998, 2001

Jim Stynes Medal: 2001

All-Australian: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003

Premierships: 2000

Coleman Medal: 2000, 2001, 2003

Essendon top goalkicker: 1997-2005, 2007, 2008

Essendon all-time leading goalkicker

Third youngest player in VFL/AFL history to kick 700+ goals

Fourth youngest player in VFL/AFL history to kick 800+ goals

Seventh highest goal scorer in VFL/AFL history

State of Origin (Victoria) 1998

Goal Of The Year (2007)

Mark Of The Year (2008)

Essendon life membership

AFL life membership
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Farewell Champ and Thanks - Lloyd Retires

Post by BenDoolan »

Well I'm slightly stunned. I think it's a sad way to end a magnificent career. I'm going to let this sink in a little before I say something meaningful. Something just doesn't seem right here....

Oh, and you can add EFC top goal kicker for 2009 as well.
Essendunny
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Meh. Not surprised, but for the benefit of the team it's the right thing. One man left now = Dustin Fletcher :) Hope he gets a coaching role down at Windy Hill at some point. Don't want to lose him to another club.

Thanks for the memories Lloydy! Shame he never made 1000 goals and it ended the way it did :(
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

SHIT LLOYDIE Why did you do it,if you did retire.STILL PLENTY to OFFER.

TOO YOUNG TO RETIRE.I'll NEVER hear the END of the SNEERING here in WA.Those BASTARDS FEAR YOU as well as HATE you and you're Retirement(If true)means THEY WIN!

f***!I CAN'T STAND IT! :evil: #-o :( [-( :-& :-# #-o =;
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

If true, a pity. He deserved a farewell year.

Again, if true, thanks for the great memories and a magnificent career.

Saddest thing is that no longer will we have legions of auskick kids plucking blades of grass before shooting at goal (IMO this indicates just how influential he has been) and lets hear the "Matty Lloyd rule" called by a commentator just more time this Saturday.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

WOW...even though I thought Lloyd would struggle next season given his form this year, and I thought it was best that maybe he hang them up...but now that its official...man...I kind of want him to go on.

Lloyd was a champion, no doubt, had he not copped that terrible hammy off the bone injury he would have surely kicked 1000.

I think played out of the goal square on a good team who can deliver the ball consistently to him, Lloyd could still kick 50+ goals per season.

If there was one flaw in us this year that I could highlight it would be our woeful entry and decision making when going into the forward 50.

Maybe he can be talked around?
Maybe he will be talked around by another club?
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Always tough when club champions go. A farewell year would have been great for the skip, but if the heart isn't in it it doesn't do anybody any good to go on another year.

A legend of the club. Nothing else needs to be said. All the best for your retirement Matty. All the Bomber fans will miss the jumper tuck, the blades of grass tossed into the air (which pissed opposition supporters immensely, especially under the Dome haha), and the dead-eye left boot.
Scott
On the Rookie List

Post by Scott »

It's a sad day.

Some huge shoes to fill....Who's next Knighta??
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Was at his first and last games. The contrast couldn't have been greater.

Farewell Champ - magnificent career.

=D> =D> =D> =D>
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Lloyd and Lucas in the same year. You know its coming but when it does it really hits you. Wonderful memories of a true champion and great Essendon person.

There are and have been certain blokes who are destined to be one club players. Lloyd and Hird fit this category as does Scotty. They simply give everything they have to the club and the least we can offer back is our respect for their wonderful contribution.

This week will be a lot slower knowing we were not able to give this wonderful champion an appropriate send off. It is so typical that, against Hawthorn in what was to be hislast game, he sacrificed his own game and jeopardised his future once again for the club.

Thanks for the memories!!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

No surprises there.

I'd have liked to have seen him play at Footscray. He'd have kicked 100 goals there next year.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Wow, I had been pretty much expecting this since the end of the season, but in the last couple of days my gut feeling changed and I started to feel he would play on one more year.

A champion of the club and the competition, not matter what the shit for brian opposition supporters who hated him claim. According to some of them he kicked all of his 900+ goals from either free kicks won from balant dives, or cheapies that got over the back of the pack.

A great deal now rests on the shoulder of Gumbleton (get your f****** body right mate) Neagle (get your f****** fitness levels right mate) Daniher and Hurley.

And finally, the captain is dead, long live the captain- Jobe Watson.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Yes, he was a beast when he was up and running. He could do it all as a forward.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
auditor
High Draft Pick

Post by auditor »

From my family to you Matty,

We love you buddy and thanks so so much for the enjoyment you have given us over the years. =D> =D> =D> =D>
It just fell out of the sky
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

:( :( :(

Lloydy's been my favourite for years even though he's been on the wayne in recent times. Shit I just can't believe he's played his last game. Maybe I need to get to our first Melbourne game next year. Hopefully the club goes all out for the farewell celebration he deserves.
Bombers till' I die
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Sad but correct decision - if it takes someone a month to figure out whether to play on or not, that's indication enough that their time has come.

Standing ovation for an unbelievable career =D>. Loved every minute of it.

If Neagle doesn't pull his finger out now, he never will.

How about this for a stat: assuming Lovett gets traded as has been requested, we will have lost 3 of our top 4 goal kickers from this season (Lloyd #1, Lucas #3 and Lovett #4). I wonder if any club in history has ever lost 3 of its top 4 goal kickers in one off season?
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

His press conference on SEN a few minutes ago almost brought a tear to this middle aged Bombers eye...

Onya' Lloydie. Bloody champ.

=D>
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

ill have to comment later, totally speechless at the moment
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

Bravo Lloydie - well played, sir.

=D> =D> =D>
Bleeding for the red and black
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Not surprised by the decision...as Jimmy said, if it takes as long as he has to decide, then there was obviously an element of doubt in his mind and so I think he has made the correct decision.

Nice touch that he will finish on 270 games, the same as his great mate Scotty =D>

Best memory for me...a game at Docklands in 2003 against the Bulldogs where he kicked 11 for the game including 6 in the first quarter....it was the first time my daughter had seen the Bombers win and it was the day he broke Simons Madden's club record for most goals.

I also fondly remember watching the 2000 final against the Kangaroos....to me it was the day he came out and said that he could take on and beat anyone....it was the first time I remember seeing him outmuscle Micky Martyn in one on one contests (and of course, he kicked his 100th for the season that day)

He will always be able to look back and say that he was a one club player and a true great during a time of much success.

Well done Matty Lloyd...you've been a true champion of the game =D> =D> =D>
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012