Laycock ready to MONSTER THE AFL

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

Laycock ready to MONSTER THE AFL

Post by gringo »

Laycock puts his best foot forward

Monday, 12 October 2009
Cara Pelchen for essendonfc.com.au
Page 1 of 1

Essendon ruckman Jason Laycock is determined to put an injury-plagued year behind him as he focuses on making an impact in 2010.

The 201cm Tasmanian joined team-mates David Myers and Sam Lonergan at Windy Hill today to progress his training load in preparation for a solid pre-season.

“I have had a program that has seen me gradually build up my running,” Laycock said..
"It started off as a bit of jogging and walking and has progressed into kicking, leading and marking as well as 1km time trials and that sort of thing."
Laycock is confident of commencing full pre-season training when the entire playing group returns on November 11.

“So far I am on the right track to start pre-season with the rest of the boys,” he said.

“I just have to keep gradually building up my training load and hopefully it all works out well from there.

“I haven’t got any expectations from pre-season just yet. I just want to be able to complete it and be a part of the main training every week and not end up in rehab.”

While the Bombers struggled for ruck options on-field this season following injuries to David Hille (knee) and Laycock (foot), the 25-year-old admits he found it difficult to come to terms with a foot complaint that sidelined him for almost an entire year.

“This year has been the hardest year I have ever been through,” he said.

“Just knowing that you are not going to play for the whole year and I knew pretty early that I wasn’t going to be playing.

“You are given an optimistic view that you might have the opportunity to come back mid-way through the year and then you get injured again and miss the whole year. It’s pretty tough.”

Laycock admits he desperately wanted to feel part of the action as a young breed of Bombers defied expectations and sealed thrilling wins in blockbuster games.
Back on the road to reaching his peak fitness, he plans to use those dark days as motivation to make an impact in 2010.
“Seeing the boys when they have those good wins against Carlton and Collingwood and seeing everyone pumped up and happy is probably the hardest time - you don’t feel a part of it because you are in rehab,” Laycock said.

“That winning feeling is a feeling you definitely want to experience again. It is going to drive me a fair way to getting back there again in 2010.”
Unfairly maligned in my view. Very much looking forward to seeing how he goes this year.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Re: Laycock ready to MONSTER THE AFL

Post by paddyl90 »

:shock: If your comment wasn't sarcastic, then I agree with you for once gringo :wink:

His last chance really, hopefully he takes it with both hands and prove the haters wrong, like Dyson did this year.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

What's actually been the problem with his foot? It's been so long I can't remember...

:-k
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Doctor Fish wrote:What's actually been the problem with his foot? It's been so long I can't remember...

:-k
He forgot to remove it from his arse 10 years ago.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I'd love to see some of his critics try to even walk around with the injury that he's had.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Sismis wrote:I'd love to see some of his critics try to even walk around with the injury that he's had.
Seriously. What was wrong with it?
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

navicular stress fracture, same thing that sidelined Hird for over a year.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

I'm genuinely interested to see how he goes next year.

He's shown more talent than Neagle thus far, and hasn't had the opportunities that Neagle has had.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

You make me laugh Gringo...you say Laycock is unfairly maligned and yet you have made so many posts about how poor you thought various other players such as Watson and Stanton have been.

Both have always shown more heart and determination than lazycock and yet you regularly subjected them to your own special brand of abuse.

It's just hard to take anything you say seriously.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I'd intersted to know how much of the perceived lack of heart and determination is due, to running and kicking with a chronically painful foot injury!
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I have to agree with the Gringe on this. This guy has heaps of potential and its time for him to show it. Perhaps this year in the footy wilderness will be just the spur to get him going. Big blokes seem to take a long time to develop and he has shown glimpses of some good work. Its easy to criticise.

Both he and Neagle could be very important if they can get their work rates and aerobic fitness levels right.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Sismis wrote:I'd intersted to know how much of the perceived lack of heart and determination is due, to running and kicking with a chronically painful foot injury!
The foot injury accounts for 2009 and maybe some of 2008...what about the rest of his uninspiring career?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

cant blame the foot for his career sis. Guys been a big disappointment.

And I personally think Neagle has shown more. He looks very dangerous at times. Plus he rarely misses a set shot for goal.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Can't see Laycock getting a game ahead of Hille and Ryder but he'd be one of the best no.3 ruckmen in the competition I would have thought. He was 23 at the start of the season.. we waited until this year to see Winderlich (from the same draft) start to come good, hence I'm prepared to give Laycock another couple of seasons.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

DC wrote:cant blame the foot for his career sis. Guys been a big disappointment.

And I personally think Neagle has shown more. He looks very dangerous at times. Plus he rarely misses a set shot for goal.
Even apart from the foot he hasn't exactly had the best run with injuries. I just think his career progression has been on par with Hille's.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

swoodley wrote:You make me laugh Gringo...you say Laycock is unfairly maligned and yet you have made so many posts about how poor you thought various other players such as Watson and Stanton have been.

Both have always shown more heart and determination than lazycock and yet you regularly subjected them to your own special brand of abuse.

It's just hard to take anything you say seriously.
I've changed my view on Watson and Stanton has improved on the areas that I thought he was horrendous in. I still rate Stanton as a B grader at this stage though. Watson is the only A grade midfielder we have.

If Laycock remains fit this year I'm comfortable in predicting he will have a better year than Hille. His ruckwork is superior in my view and if he's fit, there's no reason why he can't excel around the ground as well.

If our midfield wasn't a basket case we could go alright next year.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

I was with you until that last post gringe...

1. David Hille is a 110kg monster and a leader of the club. He will play if fit and even if he's not doing all that much on the stat sheet he will smash and intimidate the opposition.

2. Midfield isn't a basket case by any means. We broke even in 09 in the middle with just about every team in the competition except Geelong - and our senior mids in McVeigh and Welsh were significantly under done.

Of the younger blokes, Watson is A grade and Stanton, Dyson, Prismall and Winderlich are B graders who could potentially push themselves to the next level. Myers is back from glandular and OP, Zaharakis, Reimers and Houli have shown a bit, Sammy Lonergan plateaued a bit this year but is still young and has the goods, Hocking is a workhorse. Throw another 1st and 2nd rounder into the mix and you're developing a very solid rotation. It hasn't got the names of Carlton, Footscray or St Kilda's midfields but we matched all of them this year on the park (where it counts).
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Dear oh dear. He is a useless, spineless lazy cnt.

His supposed injury that would "stop most of us from walking" wasnt enough to stop him racing around the TAB on Anzac Day.

As for you Gringo, and him being "unfairly maligned", I havent seen so much fiddle since The Devil Went Down To Georgia.

This bloke has shown ******* nothing when fit, we have had him for 8 years now. Hille could play to 50, and Laycock would still be nothing more than a below average back up.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

andrewb wrote:I was with you until that last post gringe...

1. David Hille is a 110kg monster and a leader of the club. He will play if fit and even if he's not doing all that much on the stat sheet he will smash and intimidate the opposition.

2. Midfield isn't a basket case by any means. We broke even in 09 in the middle with just about every team in the competition except Geelong - and our senior mids in McVeigh and Welsh were significantly under done.

Of the younger blokes, Watson is A grade and Stanton, Dyson, Prismall and Winderlich are B graders who could potentially push themselves to the next level. Myers is back from glandular and OP, Zaharakis, Reimers and Houli have shown a bit, Sammy Lonergan plateaued a bit this year but is still young and has the goods, Hocking is a workhorse. Throw another 1st and 2nd rounder into the mix and you're developing a very solid rotation. It hasn't got the names of Carlton, Footscray or St Kilda's midfields but we matched all of them this year on the park (where it counts).
Yes, Hille is probably our most physically imposing player. His hip and shoulders are brutal and magnificent to watch. I maintain that Laycock is a better tap ruckman though.

McVeigh isn't a midfielder, nor is Welsh unless he has a stopping role in my view.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robbie67 wrote:Dear oh dear. He is a useless, spineless lazy cnt.

His supposed injury that would "stop most of us from walking" wasnt enough to stop him racing around the TAB on Anzac Day.

As for you Gringo, and him being "unfairly maligned", I havent seen so much fiddle since The Devil Went Down To Georgia.

This bloke has shown ******* nothing when fit, we have had him for 8 years now. Hille could play to 50, and Laycock would still be nothing more than a below average back up.
This.

Laycock needs to finally put in some EFFORT when he gets a chance or it's goodbye.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.