1965 Grand Final

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

1965 Grand Final

Post by billyduckworth »

It's only October and already I'm missing my footy. So I went around to the local library the other day, saw they had two DVDs of Essendon Premierships - 1965 and 1993. 1993 was great, of course, but I remember it well and didn't really want to see it again for the moment. I borrowed 1965 because I had never seen it before and thought it might be interesting to see how the game was played in the "old days".

I started going to the footy as a little tacker in 1969, so some of the 1965 Premiership players like Barry Davis, Don McKenzie, Daryl Gerlach, Charlie Payne etc were familiar to me. Others such as Ken Fraser, Alec Epis, Ted Fordham etc I knew only by name and reputation, as they had already retired by 1969.

So my impressions after watching the game:

(1) Compared with today's players, they mostly looked skinny. Perhaps the black & white image distorted things a bit, or maybe they really were less muscled then because they weren't full time professional players who had the time to spend hours and hours in the gym?

(2) There were LOTS of contested marks. Real pity this is fast disappearing out of our game. It used to be one of the key features that made us different from rugby or basketball (both of which we are starting to look a lot more like than ever before, with lots of packs/scrums and lots of chipping it around).

(3) Lots of torps and drop kicks. Although they were beautiful to watch when they came off, it was amazing how many times they did NOT come off. Even the best players frequently kicked grubbers (remember what they were? ones that dribbled along the ground) or ones that flew off the side of the boot and went WAY out of bounds right up into the crowd. In that sense, the skills are a lot better now. Even someone whose skills we bag (like Stanton) hits the target far more often than most of these 1965 blokes did.

(4) Lots of kicking off the ground. This one took me a bit by surprise. I remembered torps & drop kicks, but I had really forgotten how often they just booted it off the ground too. These days this is hardly ever used unless it is a very wet day. We seem to have an obsession now with bending over and picking it up, which, when you think about it, actually slows the game down and leads to a much higher possibility of being tackled/caught.

(5) Although the game was undoubtedly slower then, with a lot more stop/start, go back and take your kick stuff, I was surprised to see that at least a few times handball was used to a running player. I thought footy mythology told us that Barassi invented this at half time in the 1970 GF, but obviously in a small way at least this was already happening five years before that.

(6) Our talls were a very important part of that team - Fraser, Samson, McKenzie and Fordham (7 goals!). The zippy little blokes like Birt and Mitchell weren't bad either.

(7) Coleman of course had been a star player. But he was also no slouch as a coach. He very quickly shifted Prior on to their most dangerous player (Baldock), once it was obvious after a few contests that Shelton (who had a bit of a stinker that day) was being beaten. Some of our modern day coaches, whilst obsessed with "rotations" on and off the bench endlessly (a luxury they didn't have then), could learn a thing or two about positional moves and strategy from the olden day coaches.

(8) Barry Davis could certainly play. No wonder he ended up being a premiership player at North. Can't quite understand why he was such a dud coach when he came back to us. Maybe he just didn't have the cattle.

(9) Alec Epis reminded me slightly of Henry Slattery. Tough, hard at it, but gave away lots of stupid frees.

(10) We were the more experienced side, having won in 1962. St Kilda were more the up and coming young side, who went on to win the next year. Experience was probably the main thing that got us over the line on the day. On the other hand, by the end of the sixties we were really ageing and didn't recruit much in the next bunch of players, hence the lack of success in the 1970s.

(11) No out of bounds on the full rule. I had forgotten about this one. So players often looked up field, saw no-one to kick it to, and so just booted the hell out of it into the crowd. That way they gained some territory (but I suppose it only worked as a tactic if you were sure your ruck/rover combination could get it at the resulting throw in). Now we not only have an out on the full rule, but the deliberate out of bounds thing as well. So now that defensive tactic has been totally eliminated from our game. Not sure that this is a good thing.

(12) No interchange. This made a huge difference. If a player copped a knock and went down, unless it was really obviously bad (e.g. broken leg), the trainers gave them a rub, the coach moved them to the forward pocket and propped them up there for a while. In that sense, the players had to be tougher than now and play on with injuries. No chance to come off for a rest/ice/injection etc.

(13) Only one umpire. Jeff Crouch. Very ordinary. Lots of decisions which (even allowing for the different rules then) were just plain wrong. Some went our way, some went theirs.

(14) Ditterich for them and Epis for us were both hot heads, frequently giving away frees for head high tackles and the like, but overall it was a very clean game. No biffo.

Anyway, thought this might be of interest to older BTers like me to reminisce about the past and maybe also to younger ones who have no idea what the game was like way back then. Cheers.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: 1965 Grand Final

Post by swoodley »

billyduckworth wrote:((11) No out of bounds on the full rule. I had forgotten about this one. So players often looked up field, saw no-one to kick it to, and so just booted the hell out of it into the crowd. That way they gained some territory (but I suppose it only worked as a tactic if you were sure your ruck/rover combination could get it at the resulting throw in). Now we not only have an out on the full rule, but the deliberate out of bounds thing as well. So now that defensive tactic has been totally eliminated from our game. Not sure that this is a good thing.
The scum beat us in the 1968 GF by repeatedly deliberately kicking the ball into the stands...the out on the full law came in the following year (iirc). If the rule had existed in 1968, we quite possibly would now have 17 flags and the scum only 15 :evil:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Always thought that Matty Lloyd reminded me of Teddy Fordham. They both had similar builds and even their kicking styles were similar.

Brian Sampson played a blinder especially when Alan Morrow went off injured. I see Alan occasionally at my gym and it is impossible to believe that he was a VFL ruckman. He would be lucky to be 6"1"" in the old.

Mind you, he is a bit bent over with age and injuries now.

I also occasionally see Roger Head who also played in that GF. He can barely move via injuries sustained while he played.

The game takes a fearful toll.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

Have also seen 1965 replay, agree about Point (4), incrediable number of dud kicks, probably only 30 % hit their target. Attended 1968 GF (oh dear, never been so unhappy going home on a train) Kids standing room ticket, city end behind goals, 25 cents !!. All I remember from that day was Geoff Blethen taking a mark on the boundry line - banana not "invented" then, no score, and Daryl Gerlach repeatedly blind turning coming out of the back line , belting it up onto the wing.
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Attended the 65 Grand Final as young lad, standing room only in the old bay 13. Good memories of a great win, though skills were not as good as todays boys.

Also was at the 68 Grand Final & never been more disappointed after a game (even the 96 & 99 Prelim 1 pt losses) particularily as it was against the hated scum. We lost by 3 points & i recall vividly a non decision by the worst maggot of all time , Jeff Crouch, cost us the game.

Alan Noonan ( our leading goal kicker for the year), with seconds to go, almost marked the ball about 20 metres out directly in front when Wes Lofts, the scums resident thug, crashed into Noonan's back & whacked him in the head. The maggot called "play on ", with Noonan, groggy & holding his head.

Years later, maggot Crouch, admitted "yes it was a free kick to Noonan but i did not want a Grand Final decided by an umpires decision." The prick!!!

Win that game we are 17 flags & the scum 15. No wonder they are despised.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ronny Rotten wrote:Years later, maggot Crouch, admitted "yes it was a free kick to Noonan but i did not want a Grand Final decided by an umpires decision."
Oh I see, so the fckwit would rather a Grand Final be decided by a NON decision. What a f***'n idiot.

And yes, looking at old footage makes you cringe. What a different game it is these days. "Back in the day" it was the stay at home style - man on man type footy. Very structured and very stagnant to some degree. Skills were shithouse except for a few star quality players. Even looking back at 80's tapes which I have, you shake your head and wonder. If people on this site saw the skills of defenders back in those days, there would be pages of abuse. Hacking a kick was the norm. And yes, pack marks were a regular item. I sort of miss those contests where you back your man to beat his opponent. It shits me to see the keepings off until a man is free type game it is today.
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PG4GUmi_jSM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PG4GUmi_jSM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Ted Fordham had a day out. Probably would have won the Norm Smith Medal if they had it in those days. Worked with his son Jason at Ansett for a number of years, and I got the impression that they didn't get along.
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Sorry to hear that, Filth.

Hope you didn't pay for that expert diagnosis!!

I know my knees are rooted without some medico telling me!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Filthy wrote:
rockhole wrote:Sorry to hear that, Filth.

Hope you didn't pay for that expert diagnosis!!

I know my knees are rooted without some medico telling me!!
Loved playing...hate the consequences eh Rocky? How's your hips? Mine ping a bit on cold days. :(

Might have to spend more time on the Sunshine Coast catching a few waves.... :D
Hips that Ping - thats it, thats the description I have been looking for. Thanks Filth.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Yes, twas good to relive that GF on the You Tube site (thanks for that BD)

The thing that really stands out for me is the almost total lack of apparent emotion or enthusiasm displayed by the players after each goal is scored. The goalkicker simply trots back to his position without any histrionics or celebration from either himself or his teammates. (Take a good look at again...you'll see what I mean) Even near the end when it was clear we had the game sewn up...nothing!!... Not a back slap. Not a raised fist or arm pumping high...not a skerric. This was a Premiership we were winning for Crying out loud but if you didn't know it was a GF you'd swear it was just a practice match you were watching...albeit a very well attended one :) Incredible.

The other thing I was reminded of was the scoreline 14.21: that sound familiar? It ws the exact same score we kicked in our next premiership in 1984.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

pevfan wrote:Yes, twas good to relive that GF on the You Tube site (thanks for that BD)

The thing that really stands out for me is the almost total lack of apparent emotion or enthusiasm displayed by the players after each goal is scored. The goalkicker simply trots back to his position without any histrionics or celebration from either himself or his teammates. (Take a good look at again...you'll see what I mean) Even near the end when it was clear we had the game sewn up...nothing!!... Not a back slap. Not a raised fist or arm pumping high...not a skerric. This was a Premiership we were winning for Crying out loud but if you didn't know it was a GF you'd swear it was just a practice match you were watching...albeit a very well attended one :) Incredible.

The other thing I was reminded of was the scoreline 14.21: that sound familiar? It ws the exact same score we kicked in our next premiership in 1984.
Yes indeed. Looking back you wonder what it all meant to them!

Also, I could never figure out what the jumper swapping "tradition" was all about. I reckon that was one dumbarse, stupid and outrageously ridiculous things that ever happened. What a magnificent sight it would be for Saints fans to see pictures of Darrel Baldock holding up their only premiership cup in a Collingwood jumper :roll:
Essendunny
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

The other thing I noticed was how Saints players casually wandered across the mark as an Essendon player was lining up his shot at goal... Take a look at Fordhams first goal then the same thing happened when Ken Fraser kicked his first. No penalty back then or was it just poor umpiring from Crouch? Also the one late in the match when Ross Smith just tosses the ball away after a mark (or was it a free) was paid to Fordham. Once again, no penalty.

Just on Ted Fordham, I have very fond memories of him kicking a lazy 10 against the Pies on their own dung heap out at Victoria Park one day. We thrashed them by around 10 goals that day. To beat Collingwood at Vic park was indeed a very rare event in those days and I can still remember crossing the railway footbridge on my way back to the station amid the open weeping of several pie fans around me....how sweet it was :) :)

One final observation from that 65 GF. How good it was to see very rare footage of the great JC leaving the coaches bench and being congratulated by Yabby Jeans after the victory. Almost felt kind of spiritual watching that. What a pity we don't have more film of the great man especially from his playing days.
GoalSneak
Top Up Player

Post by GoalSneak »

pevfan wrote:Yes, twas good to relive that GF on the You Tube site (thanks for that BD)

We were a very constipated, Presbyterian type of society back in those days and Essendon, as the masons' club, was its epitome. High fives etc would have totally inappropriate behaviour, regardless of how we felt inside.

We kicked 14.21 in the '62 2nd Semi too.
mondo
Top Up Player

Post by mondo »

Just on Ted Fordham, I have very fond memories of him kicking a lazy 10 against the Pies on their own dung heap out at Victoria Park one day. We thrashed them by around 10 goals that day. To beat Collingwood at Vic park was indeed a very rare event in those days and I can still remember crossing the railway footbridge on my way back to the station amid the open weeping of several pie fans around me....how sweet it was

Yes PevFan, I too remember that day, although I never attended the match I listened to it on the kitchen radio.

I was jumping round the kitchen by the end wanting Teddy to get the 10, and if I remember correctly it was Hughie Mitchell that hit him on the chest with a 45 yard 'worm burner' 35 yards out dead in front, and he made no mistake.

It was great day as I lived in a very pro collingwood area, and didn`t I let them know it :)