Woosh and Smoke to leave?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Re: Woosh and Smoke to leave?

Post by robrulz5 »

I doubt either will leave. Why can't they just accept the 2 years they have been offered? So many people in the country are out of work at the moment and footballers think they can get what they want.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote:
Scott wrote: How about you go f*** yourself ya cock head, if you don't like what I write don't f****** read it!!!!
Well that's just ******* impossible! How are you supposed to dislike something if you haven't read it?
:lol: :lol:
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robbie67 wrote:2 years is all they should be given, seeing as neither of them have ever strung 2 good years together in their careers. Williams should never have been given 3. I hate that deal more and more every day.
This.

I'm happy to get Williams, but giving him 3 years has created a problem for other contract negotiations.

They'll sign for 2. This is just a stunt.
Essendunny
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Because Lloyd and Lucas left we needed to get an experienced forward to step in and I think Williams will be a good fit. A three year deal was needed to get him to change his colours to ours.

I'm not opposed to the club offering both Welsh and McPhee 2 years. If they play well enough they'll get more time after that.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Rossoneri wrote:Look at it this way, if these guys are in our best 22 in 2011-2012, have we really moved forward?
Exactly. Welsh in good form would be in any team's 22, but McPhee wouldn't hold down a spot at a top 4 club with no/few injuries. I can cope with guys like McPhee and NLM getting games whilst we've had to endure a seemingly endless run of injury problems, but they're ordinary players capable of being very ordinary.

McPhee should take whatever he's offered. I have some sympathy for Welsh due to him breaking his leg which undoubtedly reduced the level he was able to play at when he came back, but his kicking at times this season (i.e. against Richmond & Freo) was abominable.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

McPhee is one of our most important players. I cant understand why people think otherwise.

They will both sign...it seems like a ploy to scare them a little bit.
auditor
High Draft Pick

Post by auditor »

Don't have a problem giving Welsh 3 but McPhee, well unless Knights has a fulltime forward position in mind for him which I do not think he has then there is no way you can give him 3. Even an offer of 2 is being generous IMO.
It just fell out of the sky
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

BenDoolan wrote:
robbie67 wrote:2 years is all they should be given, seeing as neither of them have ever strung 2 good years together in their careers. Williams should never have been given 3. I hate that deal more and more every day.
This.

I'm happy to get Williams, but giving him 3 years has created a problem for other contract negotiations.

They'll sign for 2. This is just a stunt.

Agree. Just smoke and hogwoosh!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

There have been numerous stories on the club website the past few weeks about how various young players are working hard to get into the team for next year and get the best out of their abilities.

And two "leaders" of the club who have been average recently are whinging over money/contract length - WORK HARD AND f****** EARN IT!!!
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Rumor today that Welsh is off to Collingwood

Hmmm ... must be happy to get a 3 year deal to play in the seconds as I can't see him displacing Swann, Neon, Didak, Pendelbury or Beams in the Midfield. Perhaps as a tagger ... but the the developing Sidebottom may have dibbs next year. Ohhh ... I get it - he is going to displace Thomas or O'Bree in the starting 22 (as if)!

Cannot see Welsh going to a club that will offer him limited opportunity and also lose his standing as a leadership team member - though ... who knows Eddie may have offered a sweetener of Woosha starring in one of the channel nine soaps ... like :? ... ummm is 2 1/2 men made in Australia?

Given the talent in the PSD and clubs needing to shore themselves up for the next 2-3 years given the corruption in drafting to come - Welsh or his agent has picked a really bad year to play mind games. IMO Welsh will stay.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

i would rather mcphee than welsh.

Mcphee is the more versatile player.

I cant believe how many would rather welsh over mcphee.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

If Welsh leaves then I can only assume that players have absolutely no control over their careers. I would have to suspect that his manager has total control over his destiny. The reason why I say this is because Welsh has cemented his place at the EFC by his persona and the high regard he is held in by all of his team mates.

So if you have a guarantee of being part of the club, and the best 22, and be accepted by all and sundry, why would you leave?
Essendunny
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Unless there are some underlying issues that are well hidden, it has to be for greater job security, or greater pay.

I don't see the sense of moving to another club for the sake of it, if you have to start again at the bottom of the pile.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

BenDoolan wrote:If Welsh leaves then I can only assume that players have absolutely no control over their careers. I would have to suspect that his manager has total control over his destiny. The reason why I say this is because Welsh has cemented his place at the EFC by his persona and the high regard he is held in by all of his team mates.

So if you have a guarantee of being part of the club, and the best 22, and be accepted by all and sundry, why would you leave?
Because your career would last 3 years rather than 2 (assuming they make him that offer, otherwise he won't be going anywhere).
rednblack
Top Up Player

Post by rednblack »

plus the players hate mk's guts
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

rednblack wrote:plus the players hate mk's guts
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

So much so that they made the finals for the first time in 5 years
Essendunny
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

BenDoolan wrote:
So much so that they made the finals for the first time in 5 years
So much so that two of them are trying to force the club to contract them for an extra year, so they get to play under him for a further 3 years, instead of only 2 years.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Another Sheedy wannabe living in the past?

What a load a rubbish! I can't see how there's a problem with Matthew Knights as the club onfield is marching forward.

If there was any underlying issue with Knights, he would not have had his contract increased.

Use another excuse please.

I think its just a couple of players manager's holding on to their knob under their desk trying their luck, and as for Welsh and McPhee they will realise that the grass is not greener on the other side. They are established and proven here while they have to earn that elewhere - that includes proving they're in a different club's best 22.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Sport 927's Adam White reckons that Welsh is a good chance to stay and that McPhee isnt.... :?