The Vultures Are Circling!!!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

The Vultures Are Circling!!!

Post by Windy_Hill »

The Nominees for the Essendon FC 2006 Chopping Block are;

1) Joel Reynolds - Having exploded onto the AFL scene as a lightly framed, pacey 17 year old, Joel has has continued to grow in stature. Now as an even more lightly framed 21 year old, Joel has accumulated almost 36 kicks in a sparkling career thus far.

2) Aaron Henneman - Having officially signed on as the new spokesperson for Medibank Private, Aaron continues to defy Australian Tax Office rules by falsely claiming his job title as Professional Sportsman.

3) Tristan Cartledge - Has recently soared past Peter Somerville as one of the Club's most underated Ruckmen. Lead the 2007 competition in the key stats of 'non-appearances, missing in actions, absents without leave and failures to report for duty' A remarkable underachiever over 4 years.

4) Mark Bolton Fans across the land still fondly reminisce about Mark's incredible 2003 season. In that unforgettable year he managed to get a touch. This great moment in football occured whilst he was watching a Collingwood vs Sydney game at the G. After Didak scored on the run during the third term. Bolts, who was enjoying a pie and beer in Bay 43 behind the Punt Rd goals, bravely snatched the ball back from a seven year old Magpie fan. With effortless ease, Mark popped the ball back over the fence to the boundary umpire missing him by a good 10 metres.

5) Adrian Dodoro - Is it any coincidece that the first four letters of Adrian's name are synonymous with one of the more celebrated freaks of nature. His uncanny recruiting choices have resulted in no less than 127 player extinctions. An amazing strike rate.

All above comments are not intended to upset the bleeding hearts amongst this forum. If any hurt to this group or the names mentioned above has been caused....get over it
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

lol nice job, all jokes aside i hope 3 of those 4 players arnt around next year, that sounds cruel but this is a crual business and you need to roll with the punches
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

We could probably do without all four.

Cartledge would be the only chance to stay.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

robrulz5 wrote:We could probably do without all four.

Cartledge would be the only chance to stay.
yeah thats the one i left in the team, give him 1 year and a solid amount of games to prove himself
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Well, Dodoro was recently relieved of his match day duties so he can focus on recruiting full time, which is at least something. Although the damage may have already largely been done. If he doesn't get it right this year then we are up the creek as a team for quite a while.

All the players mentioned above can go, Cartledge included, especially if we have an intention of drafting a ruckman (which i doubt we would, though). He may have had some trade value to clubs whose ruck stocks are depleted, like Carlton or Adelaide, and providing Hille and Laycock are relatively injury-free and if Ryder bulks up slightly (say, 5kg), Cartledge will be the 4th ruck all year. Packaging him and Bolton as a trade could've yielded perhaps a late 3rd rounder, and i would've taken that.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Packaging Bolts and Carts in a trade? I'm not sure how that would work. Bolts hasn't attracted any interest apparently, so how would coupling him with an even less favourable player to another club encourage further negotiation?
Unfortunately, some players just don't have trade currency. Packaging two into a deal makes it twice the risk for the receiving club.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

It probably wouldn't work. I was just spitballing, but i reckon there are a few clubs that may have taken interest (those with no rucks, namely Carlton and Adelaide). Maybe a package of Bolts and Welsh would've been more attractive, as both are established players who could offer something. Although in regards to Welsh, the club obviously values him much higher than many of us, as evidenced by the fact he finished 4th in our B&F when most of us probably didn't expect him in the top 10!
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

I know its a broken record but disagree with Number 2. Windy, but then again mate when have we ever agreed?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

boncer34 wrote:I know its a broken record but disagree with Number 2. Windy, but then again mate when have we ever agreed?
EDIT: Sorry, that was out of line.

But Boncer, what is up with you supporting Henneman? I know you feel sorry for him and you are entitled to your opinion, but if you cant see that he is useless then something is wrong.
Last edited by Rossoneri on Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

:shock:
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Rossoneri wrote:
boncer34 wrote:I know its a broken record but disagree with Number 2. Windy, but then again mate when have we ever agreed?
EDIT: Sorry, that was out of line.

But Boncer, what is up with you supporting Henneman? I know you feel sorry for him and you are entitled to your opinion, but if you cant see that he is useless then something is wrong.
So what was out of line Ross?
And fairly sure you know my reasons now. :D
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

I believe he'd be referring to the comment since edited out... something about fellatio? :P
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Boyler_Room wrote:I believe he'd be referring to the comment since edited out... something about fellatio? :P
He wouldnt know what that means. And I have already told hm what I said.

And yes, it is true. :wink:
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Cartledge has the potential to be our best tap ruckman since Simon Madden. Already he has shown more at centre bounces than Hille or Laycock, and with more experience he is only going to get better.

I think he'll stay, I think he'll develop quite nicely in 2007 (if Sheeds will play him) and I think he'll become a very good ruckman.

Remember, this is a kid who was regarded as the best long-term rucj prospect in his draft class. The last few games of the year I think he proved to himself that he can play AFL football, and that knowledge will do his confidence a world of good.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I don't particularly want Bolts to go... he didn't have that bad a year and we need tall quick players in the team now that we have lost Solly. Maybe keep him for one more year.... my wishful thinking perhaps. :oops:
antcl
Top Up Player

Re: The Vultures Are Circling!!!

Post by antcl »

Windy_Hill wrote:3) Tristan Cartledge - Has recently soared past Peter Somerville as one of the Club's most underated Ruckmen. Lead the 2007 competition in the key stats of 'non-appearances, missing in actions, absents without leave and failures to report for duty' A remarkable underachiever over 4 years.
Think this is a little insulting. We picked up Cartledge as a 17yr old, in the same draft as Laycock (he was pick #30). Personally, I think you were expecting too much from a ruck (and a tap ruckmen) who for half the season just past was only 20.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Tristian showed something in the last game of teh season against the doggies. Give him another year to see how he develops.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Its Official - Reynolds, Cartledge and Henno gone!!