Your favourite Essendon game..

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Your favourite Essendon game..

Post by Gimps »

Please list your favourite Essendon game of all time.. Just one.

We'll exclude this years Anzac Day game for the sake of variety...

Please give a brief explanation of the game, and why it was your favourite.

It could be the famous come backs - like the one against North, the one against Melbourne, or the 93' prelim.

Or it could be something like the Centenary game against Geelong, when Boris Bewick had the ball on a string..

Looking forward to re-living the old classics!

Your friend in Black & Red... The Gimpa
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Re: Your favourite Essendon game..

Post by paddyl90 »

I can read, I know you only wanted one but I just wanted to mention another couple that are up there for me!

Only being a young one (almost 19) I really only remember the last decade of Essendon games. Well I would say Anzac Day but obviously that's not allowed. There are a couple of favourite games:

Round 3 v Carlton - The roar when the siren went was friggen unbelievable. Kind of birthed the new Essendon
Round 20 v St Kilda - Sitting with the Saints cheersquad, only a few bombers supporters around me was unbelievable when we got out to like a 43 point lead. I was stunned with that 3 goal burst at the start of the 2nd quarter down my end.

Round 3 vs West Coast - James Hird with the winning goal after the whole McBurney incident that week

Round 16? - North Melbourne comeback game for obvious reasons. Although we were down by 10 goals, my 10 year old positive self always thought we would come back to win. Very special game. This besides Anzac Day would have to my fave Essendon game.

Hopefully 2010 can bring us some more classics.
Last edited by paddyl90 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

1993 Final V Adelaide. For mine, our best comeback. Timmy slotting the sealer just capped it off!

2004 V West Coast. I was in a corp box up that end. Jimmy decided we were not going to lose that game!

2004 V Port. The game we were given no chance of winning. Rioli was unstoppable, untill he did a hammy in the third.....

2003 ANZAC game, the Jimmy and Cupes show.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It's so hard to just chose one!

Round 18 1998- A 6 point win over Carlton after being 5 goals down going into time on in the final quarter. Scott Lucas kicks the winner.

Round 17 1999 Vs North Melbourne- A clash for top spot with Lloyd kicking 7, Carey 10 and the Bombers winning by 26 points.

Qualifying final 2000 Vs North Melbourne- The biggest score in finals history and a 125 point belting of the reigning premiers about two years after the marshmallow comments. Lloydy kicks 7 including his 100th of the season.

Round 9 2001 Vs Hawthorn- Another clash for top spot with the undefeated Hawthorn complaining about the noise at the the Colonial Stadium during the week. We kicked the first goal after about 15 seconds and the game was pretty much over. Cheekily we play 'lets get loud' after every goal and belt those overrated pricks by 9 goals.

Round 3 2004 Vs West Coast- Mercs 200th and we get out to an 8 goals lead but still need our greatest ever player to win the game in the final minute.

Round 3 2009 Vs Carlton- Knocking the scum off their high horse was very sweet especially as we were given no chance before the game. Probably the last vintage Lloyd performance.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

2000 GF - This is why you play the game, the only flag i am old enough to remember. what a way to cap the year off
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

DYSON#2 wrote:2000 GF - This is why you play the game, the only flag i am old enough to remember. what a way to cap the year off
Yep me too!!! Can't believe that its almost 10 years ago now... :shock:

I also loved...
the 2000 Qualifying Final against the Roos
The 2001 Comeback game also against the Roos
2009 Anzac Day
2005 Anzac Day when Hirdy, Lloydy and Cupido kicked about 5 each
Any match where we beat Carlton!!!
damo22
Top Up Player

Post by damo22 »

anzac day this year:
couldnt go to the game because i had to play in the amatuers
hille (b&f winner) goes down in the first ten minutes and we have our backs to the wall, my filth-supporting mate next to me says "there goes the game and your season" in classic filth fashion
we hold our own until we get over-run and all looks lost with five minutes to go..
my filth-supporting mate starts listing reasons why we are shite and why they are going to win the flag, again in classic filth fashion
"pebbles" gives away a dubious free kick which we turn into a goal from a beautiful lovett run down the guts *sigh*.. no one pays much notice as we're in red time
mr.inconsistency (neon leon) sprays a kick over the boundary line and ricky rolls the dice from the boundary line with a beautiful left hoof.. suddenly its within a kick, my filth-supporting mate stops fitting his gold jacket and starts to watch closely
we charge again from the backline and jetta fumbles the ball from what looked like an otherwise certain match-winner, my filth-supporting mate breathes a sigh of relief and proceeds with the canning of the red and black.. saying things like "we're letting you back in and your still not good enough" in classic filth fashion
lockyer kicks the ball out, we intercept and work it to natrat who finds zaka, the life-long efc supporter turns and slots his first goal from the paint.. realising his boy-hood dream
i look over to my filth-supporting mate and he is speachless.. feeling the energy from the bomber supporters around him
a few moments later the ball is bounced and the siren blows.. me and my fellow essedonians embrace and then proceed to turn our attention to the only colli-scum in the room
to top it off my favourite player, paddy ryder, wins the anzac medal in an inspirational display that changes his career

this is my favourite essendon match because i have never been so proud to support the red & black.. or so relieved i dont go for the black & white
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

As instructed, the game which gave me the most exhilaration, jubilation and euphoria was;

Grand Final day, 1984.

Nerves were uncontrollable in many Bomber supporters (mainly me). The team started just as nervously as the Hawks (again) jumped away to an early lead kicking the first 4 goals of the match. The 1983 massacre seemed to be unravelling all over again. Thankfully, Leon Baker bobbed up to kick our first goal 15 minutes into the 1st quarter. Hawthorn then kicked the next 2 goals of the match in a dour struggle that saw the Bombers miss a few opportunities in the process. At quarter time the score line was Haw 6.1 (37) to Ess 2.4 (16).

The 2nd quarter was another struggle for the Bombers to convert. Only 3 goals were kicked in the quarter – 2 to Hawthorn and 1 to Duckworth. The Bombers seemed to control more of the ball, but squandered their chances again by kicking 1 goal 7 behinds. Haw 8.6 (54) to Ess 3.11 (29).

The Bombers again seemed to have more of the ball in the 3rd quarter, but didn’t gain much ground on the scoreboard. Hawthorn kicked a couple of goals, as did the Bombers with Leon Baker continuing to gather possessions and kicking another goal in that quarter. Haw 10.8 (68) to Ess 5.15 (45).

Bomber supporters were shaking with nerves just prior to the start of the final quarter (well I was). 10 seconds into the quarter, the ball was thumped into our forward line by Daisy Williams as Leon Baker swooped onto the loose ball and snapped a magnificent left foot goal. This was the absolute spark the team needed to get things going. It happened in a flash, and it was the quality finishing of Leon Baker that started it. We couldn’t buy a goal for 3 quarters, and he had kicked 3 of them himself – half our goal tally. Madden was winning taps in the middle and Williams was getting the clearances. Suddenly, our tails were up. Neagle streamed down the wing and hoofed the ball deep into our forward line where Peter Bradbury lurked at the back of the pack. The ball landed in his arms and he ran into an open goal to slash the deficit to 11 points, two minutes into the last quarter.

8 minutes in, Duckworth marked on our half forward line and then quickly short passed to an unmanned Bomber Thompson 40 metres out. The 20 year old youngster slotted the goal and the margin was cut to 5 points. The ensuing centre bounce saw Daisy Williams swoop on the ball and hoof it forward once again. The ball went over the top of Leon Baker and Gary Ayres, but Baker managed to read the bounce of the ball better, escaped an Ayres tackle with a brilliant 180 degree blind turn and slammed home a goal to put us in front. The euphoria that erupted from that goal will never be forgotten by me. It seemed all the demons had been exorcised by that one kick. Still, the game wasn’t over. Hawthorn did regain the lead momentarily, but the rampaging Bombers were to overcome the challenge and storm home with a 9 goal last quarter. The Bombers won their first flag in 19 years, Ess 14.21 (105) to Haw 12.9 (81). Leon Baker finished with 4 goals and was extremely unlucky not to win the Norm Smith Medal.

I had been following the Bombers for 11 years and saw no success whatsoever during the 70's. I had to contend with the constant ridicule at primary school on most Monday mornings with the "what happened to Essendon?" jibe. We couldn't win a f***'n Elimination Final to save ourselves. Lost 72, 73, 79, 81 & 82. We finally broke the hoodoo in 1983 when we beat Carlton. We went through to the Grand Final in 1983 only to absolutely disgrace ourselves. It left me shattered and virtually heartbroken. Footy wasn't only a passion for me at that stage, it was an obsession. The 1984 premiership breathed life back into my lungs - that's how it felt. The following day, I didn't walk 6km to Windy hill to enjoy the celebrations, I floated.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

There are dozens of amazing games

Three that stick in my mind

1984 Second Semi Final - Ess 15.15 Lost to Hawthorn 16.17. A loss - but boy, what a game. For those who remember, it was a case of progressivley getting closer and closer to beating the Hawks. Although we lost the game, the feeling was very much, wait til next time. Next time came two weeks later in the GF and the rest, as they say, is history. This game is often quoted as being the best they ever played in by Watson, Madden and Daniher

1989 - Rnd 15 Windy Hill - Ess 25.10 vs West Coast 1.12 - Memorable for a lot of reasons, but perhaps the most enduring memory is of the famous Windy Hill wind sock being tied down with rope so the Eagles could not pick which way the wind was blowing. We murdered them, I think from memory (and I was there) Chris Lewis kicked the only goal for the Eagles. Another Sheedy classic

1999 - Rnd 13 MCG - Ess 10.20 vs Western Bulldgogs 11.10 - Perhaps the gutsiest win i can recall. Bombers down to about 15 fit players defeat the bulldogs in an MCG heartstopper
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Crikey, nice to see you all limited it to ONE favourite game.. Benny Doolan, hats off for following instructions.

I'm waiting for Filty's greatest game.. Could be hard to predict, but, I'm tipping it will be a game where he kicked 25 goals from full back for the Mighty Bombers! A game that he remembers so well.. strange.. I don't remember my dreams all that well vingertje

As for the rest of you, keep them coming..
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

DYSON#2 wrote:2000 GF - This is why you play the game, the only flag i am old enough to remember. what a way to cap the year off
I was at the 2000 Grand Final and I would have to say that given we won a premiership it was a pretty shit experience. The only emotion I experienced was releif that we didn't f*** it up again like we did the previous year. For a Grand Final the atmosphere was completely shit as well, Essendon supporters were expecting we win while also hoping we didn't choke again, Melbourne supporters knew they really didn't have a chance but were hoping to stick in the game and make a match of it.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Gimps...lol... fitting name tossa
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

ealesy wrote:
I was at the 2000 Grand Final and I would have to say that given we won a premiership it was a pretty shit experience. The only emotion I experienced was releif that we didn't f*** it up again like we did the previous year. For a Grand Final the atmosphere was completely shit as well, Essendon supporters were expecting we win while also hoping we didn't choke again, Melbourne supporters knew they really didn't have a chance but were hoping to stick in the game and make a match of it.
85, apart from the fight, was like this as well
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

1993 Prelim Comeback v Crows!

Was on an end of season footy trip in the Endeavour Tavern in Lancelin! Was an awesome day! Copped plenty of flack from the mostly Eagles supporters who just wanted to see the Bombers get done.

Long was amazing but I seem to remember calling "Wanganeeeeennn!" pleanty throughout the game as he was awesome out of defence.

To watch a young team like that have the ability to pick themselves up after half time and come out and play like they did was incredible.

Best part was watching that muppet Cornes leave the coaches box after the game!!!!!!
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sO4ivcNtNIE&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sO4ivcNtNIE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Round 16, 1993
Essendon 12.17.89 def West Coast 13.9.87

Easily my favorite game ever. A goal from Salmon with 30 seconds to go, after he had kicked only points all day, put Essendon in front. Amazingly, it was also our only goal for the last quarter. There was a vintage performance from Wanganeen, who would go on to be that year's Brownlow medalist, and some glimpses of enormous potential from a young blonde kid wearing number 5. And of course the now-famous Sheedy jacket wave at the end which started a tradition which continues to this day.

From a historical point of view - the win was a huge turning point for the young Essendon side. The defeat of the reigning premiers (and top side at this stage of the year) put them back in the Final 6 and gave them the belief that they could beat the best teams on the biggest stage. They went on to win the Premiership 10 weeks later.

Have a watch of the last few minutes on the video - it is absolutely vintage.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Windy_Hill wrote:There are dozens of amazing games

Three that stick in my mind

1984 Second Semi Final - Ess 15.15 Lost to Hawthorn 16.17. A loss - but boy, what a game. For those who remember, it was a case of progressivley getting closer and closer to beating the Hawks. Although we lost the game, the feeling was very much, wait til next time. Next time came two weeks later in the GF and the rest, as they say, is history. This game is often quoted as being the best they ever played in by Watson, Madden and Daniher
I still think that the 1984 Second Semi was the greatest game of football I have ever seen. Others were better results wise (hello GF two weeks later) but for a game that offered the complete package of skill, aggression and emotional turmoil, I have never been able to go past this one.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

BenDoolan wrote:As instructed, the game which gave me the most exhilaration, jubilation and euphoria was;

Grand Final day, 1984.
This. We had waited for so long for success and those bastards in yellow and brown were so hard to beat.
I think I went to bed that night with my Bomber scarf still on. Certainly, I was still wearing it when I arrived for work Monday morning, which was absolutely delicious (as Bruce would say) because one of my colleagues at that time played for Hawthorn!!
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Ah, nice contribution there DC. How bout you go f*** yourself? Maybe next time you'll think of something useful to say..
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I'd also like to add the '96 semi final against West Coast. Sheeds pleaded for the fans to turn up and 85,656 mostly Essendon fans turned up, the crowd was only 8000 short of the GF crowd. Hirdy turned it on and kicked a memorable goal running from full back and the sea of red & black jackets and scarves was amazing.

I would have added the '84 GF but I hadn't even been born yet!
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

For me, my favourite Essendon game of all time was the 1993 Grand Final.

As much as the 2000 Premiership was expected and almost our birthright after the disappointment of the previous season, the 1993 Premiership was the one out of the bag, going into the season no-one would have expected us to be there, let alone win it. Sheeds had a team that was a mix of very talented youngsters and champion older players playing an exciting brand of footy.

I don't remember much about the game, because I was only 11 at the time and I haven't really watched the game back at all. What I do remember is that we jumped out to an early 4-5 goal lead by quarter time and the Scum and they never came back at us. My Dad had to go into work in the morning and didn't get home until about quarter time, by which time we had already won the Grand Final, Longy ran rings around them and who could remember his run through the centre of the ground and goal.

Then there was the added joy of beating the Scum, don't think there is any team I would enjoy seeing us beat in a Grand Final more.