You Are Kidding Right?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

You Are Kidding Right?

Post by Windy_Hill »

Which team beat which team twice in 2009?

Here are our prospects for 2010 vs Carlton's as foreseen by some numbnut at The Age

ESSENDON

The Bombers face a challenging 2010, having lost a heap of experience in key positions, with Matthew Lloyd, Scott Lucas and Adam McPhee all leaving. They have also lost their most explosive midfielder, Andy Lovett joining St Kilda. Essendon will rely heavily on a promising but inexperienced group of talls in Michael Hurley, Jay Neagle, Scott Gumbleton, Tayte Pears and Cale Hooker. Evergreen defender Dustin Fletcher, the league's oldest man, can pitch in for at least one more year. At least athletic young ruckman Paddy Ryder should be helped by the return of experienced David Hille from injury. But after scraping into the finals this year, it will be a hard act to follow.

CARLTON

The Blues took a big step in 2009, playing finals for the first time in eight years, but backing it up will be tough. Fevola's exit leaves a huge hole. They also lost Nick Stevens to an injury-forced retirement. The good news is that their list is very young - even moreso after those departures - and the future looks very bright. Heath Scotland is Carlton's only player older than 27. Brock McLean, from Melbourne, joins the likes of Marc Murphy and Bryce Gibbs in a potent, emerging midfield group. The ruck contingent is similarly exciting, with Robert Warnock, prevented by injury from playing in his first year at the Blues in 2009, to complement Matthew Kreuzer and Shaun Hampson. Carlton also have salary cap space to ward off poaching.

They took a 'big step in 2009' but we 'scraped into the finals'????

After the departures of their experienced players, the future looks bright. With the Bombers, the departure of our experienced (albeit past it players) is cause for calamity????

They have an 'potent, emerging midfield; - ours is inexperienced????

Their ruck combination is exciting - in our case Paddy Ryder simply gets a helping hand from David Hille (but together they don get the exciting tag???).
saladin
Regular Senior Player

Re: You Are Kidding Right?

Post by saladin »

standard media stuff, windy. essendon get downplayed, carlton are the love child. most idiots writing for papers these days only see #1 draft pick midfielders. zaharakis? who? prismall? isn't he playing 2nds for geelong? reimers, davey and welsh injury free? didn't know they were injured last year, just thought they were no good.

meh, don't care.
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

Windy_Hill wrote:Which team beat which team twice in 2009?

Here are our prospects for 2010 vs Carlton's as foreseen by some numbnut at The Age

ESSENDON

The Bombers face a challenging 2010, having lost a heap of experience in key positions, with Matthew Lloyd, Scott Lucas and Adam McPhee all leaving. They have also lost their most explosive midfielder, Andy Lovett joining St Kilda. Essendon will rely heavily on a promising but inexperienced group of talls in Michael Hurley, Jay Neagle, Scott Gumbleton, Tayte Pears and Cale Hooker. Evergreen defender Dustin Fletcher, the league's oldest man, can pitch in for at least one more year. At least athletic young ruckman Paddy Ryder should be helped by the return of experienced David Hille from injury. But after scraping into the finals this year, it will be a hard act to follow.

CARLTON

The Blues took a big step in 2009, playing finals for the first time in eight years, but backing it up will be tough. Fevola's exit leaves a huge hole. They also lost Nick Stevens to an injury-forced retirement. The good news is that their list is very young - even moreso after those departures - and the future looks very bright. Heath Scotland is Carlton's only player older than 27. Brock McLean, from Melbourne, joins the likes of Marc Murphy and Bryce Gibbs in a potent, emerging midfield group. The ruck contingent is similarly exciting, with Robert Warnock, prevented by injury from playing in his first year at the Blues in 2009, to complement Matthew Kreuzer and Shaun Hampson. Carlton also have salary cap space to ward off poaching.

Well, I'd argue they took a bigger leap forward than us. They bottom out far worse than we did AND have been out of finals for longer. So that comment is technically correct. What'smore, we DID scrape into the finals. Iw as overseas at the time, but was getting reports that it was a fait accompli that Essendon would play finals...then all of a sudden it's looking unlikely. A suprise winner over Hawthorn and they make it...

After the departures of their experienced players, the future looks bright. With the Bombers, the departure of our experienced (albeit past it players) is cause for calamity????
He never said "calamity", purely that it'll be tough, which it will. He used the same words to describe Carlton's situation. didn;t he say that Fev's departure will leave a "huge hole"

Haha, their midfield has ours covered in SPADES!! Our best midfield - Watson - would probably get a game with Carlton's. None of the others would. Judd, Gibbs, Murphy is light years ahead of whatever Essendon dish up....sorry to break it to ya, but that's a fact.

Their ruck combination is exciting - in our case Paddy Ryder simply gets a helping hand from David Hille (but together they don get the exciting tag???).
Fair comment. Our ruck division is probabyl better than their's across the park unless Kruezer can jump out of his skin this year!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I'm over being angry at the media loving Carlton and hating us.
Makes it all the more sweet when we win.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Their midfield doesn't scare us, we've beaten them in the middle the last 5 times. Fevola who plays well against us is gone and Judd is always well held.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

They still dont have anyone to kick their goals next year besides Henderson, Betts and maybe Kruezer...

They passed on the key forward Panos and Temel today. :P
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Old mate wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Which team beat which team twice in 2009?

ESSENDON

CARLTON

Well, I'd argue they took a bigger leap forward than us. They bottom out far worse than we did AND have been out of finals for longer. So that comment is technically correct. What'smore, we DID scrape into the finals. Iw as overseas at the time, but was getting reports that it was a fait accompli that Essendon would play finals...then all of a sudden it's looking unlikely. A suprise winner over Hawthorn and they make it...

He never said "calamity", purely that it'll be tough, which it will. He used the same words to describe Carlton's situation. didn;t he say that Fev's departure will leave a "huge hole"

Haha, their midfield has ours covered in SPADES!! Our best midfield - Watson - would probably get a game with Carlton's. None of the others would. Judd, Gibbs, Murphy is light years ahead of whatever Essendon dish up....sorry to break it to ya, but that's a fact.

Fair comment. Our ruck division is probabyl better than their's across the park unless Kruezer can jump out of his skin this year!
Read my first sentence - not sure their midfield is so hot
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

Which sentence Windy? the one about us 'scraping' into the finals, or your sentence about their midfield in comparison to ours?

Surely you can't be suggesting that our midfield is comparabel to theirs? I think we have them covered around the ground, but their midfielfd surely is far superior?
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Old mate wrote:Which sentence Windy? the one about us 'scraping' into the finals, or your sentence about their midfield in comparison to ours?

Surely you can't be suggesting that our midfield is comparabel to theirs? I think we have them covered around the ground, but their midfielfd surely is far superior?
Judd and Murphy I'll give you. Gibbs is useless, he'll turn out to be a plodder at best. The hype over his number one tag is a joke. Then they've got who in their midfield? McClean? He struggled at Melbourne. Then who?
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I think Gibbs improved this year. He is getting a bigger body, which will help him. I'd have him at Essendon.

Can I join the Jason Laycock fan club Boncer??
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

boncer34 wrote: Judd and Murphy I'll give you. Gibbs is useless, he'll turn out to be a plodder at best. The hype over his number one tag is a joke. Then they've got who in their midfield? McClean? He struggled at Melbourne. Then who?
Gibbs is useless ... a plodder at best????

You are a plonker ....This guy is going to be a gun .. even a half wit can see this... I would kill to have him at essendon....I'm coming back to this thread in 9 months
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Gimps wrote:I think Gibbs improved this year. He is getting a bigger body, which will help him. I'd have him at Essendon.

Can I join the Jason Laycock fan club Boncer??
Knock yourself out Gimps.

Hillchaser I'll see you in 10 years mate. Gibbs will never be remembered as a gun.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

Bouncer ... I think you are having a lend of us all. You are bored at work and trying to amuse yourself by posting random thoughts on this site.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Old mate wrote:Which sentence Windy? the one about us 'scraping' into the finals, or your sentence about their midfield in comparison to ours?

First Sentence for those who missed it

Which team beat which team twice in 2009?
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

Now you've got to be kidding!!!??? Who beat who twice??? SO the Bulldogs beat the Cats (the Premiers) twice in 2009. Surely by that reasoning they are a better side.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

All good Boncer.. Just appointed myself as the CEO of the Jason Laycock Fan Club.. Means I'm now your boss =D>
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

They have no defence and now no offence. There midfield is good, but as was shown on many occasions (including the final) this is not enough to carry through.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Old mate wrote:Now you've got to be kidding!!!??? Who beat who twice??? SO the Bulldogs beat the Cats (the Premiers) twice in 2009. Surely by that reasoning they are a better side.

Yep, you are right, its flawed logic. But to counter your point, Geelong and the Doggies are both considered to be real chances. Because they can beat each other. On the other hand the Dons are no chance despite beating this apparent Flag threat Carlton twice last season. Not only beat them, pantsed them on one occasion.

It may be flawed logic but its something more tangible than the moron from the age is trying to base his argument on.

Sorry, but our squad is better than Carlton's. They have 3 players that would get a gig at Essendon.