Captain Jobe

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Captain Jobe

Post by Sartorius »

Well deserved, congratulations :mrgreen:
Jobe Watson joined Essendon’s elite this morning after being named 2010 captain.

The 24-year-old – who was drafted with pick No.40 in the 2002 National Draft (father/son rule) - was revealed as the 38th club captain when he led the playing group onto Windy Hill oval in front of around 2,000 fans.

Andrew Welsh has been appointed vice-captain.

General manager of football operations, Paul Hamilton said Watson was a leader on-field, and won the 2009 Crichton Medal for best player, but also set high standards off field. He said while there were a number of strong candidates for the position, Watson – who has now played seven seasons and 94 games – had emerged as the right choice.

“He is a quality person and is a player that has had to work hard to achieve what he has in the game,” Hamilton said.

“He leads by example on and off the field. He has an appetite and desire for success and wants to bring people along with him on the journey. Jobe has an outstanding leadership group behind him and I am confident that, as a group, they will unite the club and provide strong direction.”

Watson’s appointment creates history as the first father/son combination to captain the Bombers - his father Tim captained the club in 1989, 1990 and 1991.

The 190cm, 91 kg Watson joins an illustrious list of Essendon captains including Dick Reynolds, Jack Clarke, Bill Hutchison, James Hird and Matthew Lloyd.

Hamilton said the final decision on the captain and vice-captain was left to the six-man leadership group.

“During the Coffs Harbour camp we had a final meeting which included the leadership group, a five-man committee that included Matthew Knights as coach and Gary O’Donnell as a past captain and a separate facilitator,” he said.

“We had a two-hour open and frank discussion about the criteria of a captain and everyone gave their opinions. The committee then left the final decision to the leadership group who came up with who they thought was the right captain and vice-captain to lead this exciting young playing group into a new successful era.

“It was a rigorous process and one that showed the depth of leadership we have at the club. The leadership group walked out of the meeting united that, together, they will strive to improve the team and club. There was a really strong understanding that leadership is not about one person but is about having a group of leaders.

“We want to empower the playing group to really lead and take control of the big decisions that need to be made so this was an important process for Essendon to go through.”
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Re: Captain Jobe

Post by Gimps »

Personally, I'm not a big fan of this decision.

I think Jobe has worked his ar$e off to get where he is with his own game. Becoming captain may be a distraction, and could have a huge effect on him personally.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Congratulations indeed - he is definitely the right man for the job. He has the respect of the playing group, not least because of his abilities, but because he has had to work damn hard to get to where he is. He speaks well, and will be a fine ambassador for our great club.

=D>
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

Great Decision. I'm very happy. He will be a great captain.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Congratulations Jobe.

I believe he will do a fine job, different in style to Lloydy & Hird, nevertheless just as effective.

Maybe this will further enhance his career, sometimes leadership raises the bar even higher & those with great character & pride, like Jobe, rise to the occasion.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

His press conference is coming up on SEN. Onya' Jobe...

=D>
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Well done Jobe.

Now you're catching up with your old man

Played for the same club - check
Captained the team - check
Won 3 flags - watch this space
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gimps wrote:Personally, I'm not a big fan of this decision.

I think Jobe has worked his ar$e off to get where he is with his own game. Becoming captain may be a distraction, and could have a huge effect on him personally.

I am with you on this Gimps. Why on Earth would the club risk the form of one its best players with something as distracting as the captaincy. Now Jobe will have to do all these unnatural things like 'leading from the front', 'inspiring his teammates', 'showing courage under fire', 'representing the club in front of the media with aplomb and class'

He will definitely struggle!
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

Best decision at Windy Hill in the last 5 years i reckon. 2 thumbs up.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Gimps wrote:Personally, I'm not a big fan of this decision.

I am with you on this Gimps. Why on Earth would the club risk the form of one its best players with something as distracting as the captaincy. Now Jobe will have to do all these unnatural things like 'leading from the front', 'inspiring his teammates', 'showing courage under fire', 'representing the club in front of the media with aplomb and class'

He clearly wasnt demonstrating any of these characteristics during his B&F winning season
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Was that meant to be funny Windy?

All I'm saying is, he has worked hard to get where he is, and he only got to that point last year. Taking on the extra workload could have a detrimental effect on his own game. Could very well happen.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

No surprises there. Could go either way but it was the decision that had to be made.

McVeigh is a peanut on and off the field.

Welsh could well struggle to get a game next year.

Hille is coming back from injury and didn't do much when he was filling in.

Fletcher gone in the next year or two.

Stanton isn't good enough nor does he demonstrate traits that are commonly associated with being a leader.

I think Watson will go alright but he's going to be faced with the difficult task of dealing with unrealstic expectations of Essendon fans, some parts of the media and potentially the Essendon board for a team that is developing a decent list. That's going to be the biggest hurdle he faces I reckon.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

gringo wrote:No surprises there. Could go either way but it was the decision that had to be made.

McVeigh is a peanut on and off the field.

Welsh could well struggle to get a game next year.

Hille is coming back from injury and didn't do much when he was filling in.

Fletcher gone in the next year or two.

Stanton isn't good enough nor does he demonstrate traits that are commonly associated with being a leader.

I think Watson will go alright but he's going to be faced with the difficult task of dealing with unrealstic expectations of Essendon fans, some parts of the media and potentially the Essendon board for a team that is developing a decent list. That's going to be the biggest hurdle he faces I reckon.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Classic Gringo :lol: :lol: :lol:

So by your logic, Jobe is just the best of a bad bunch
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Hey, Gossy. how did you know at 9:20 when, at the ground, we did not know until 10:15.??
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Well, in all honesty, he was the obvious choice. I'm glad he has been appointed because it means he is highly respected by his peers, and this decision proves it. Now hopefully he can do what his old man never did.....
Essendunny
JimboC
Top Up Player

Post by JimboC »

Happy the right decision was made..!

Follows his Dad...Carries on Tradition
swoodley wrote:Played for the same club - check
Captained the team - check
Won 3 flags - watch this space
Like your thinking Swoods!!.. vingertje
The Watson Factor....
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Well done to Jobe. Our next premiership captain.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

rockhole wrote:Hey, Gossy. how did you know at 9:20 when, at the ground, we did not know until 10:15.??
I was at the ground as well and got an SMS off my brother just before 10am telling me. Someone on the website pressed the wrong button and it was announced early.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

CONGRATULATIONS JOBE!!! =D>

I had a feeling he would be chosen as our next captain... the injury to Hille and McVeigh's off field problems probably helped lead to this. Congrats to Welshy on bgeing named VC as well.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

"and finally, to accept his medallion and the premiership cup - Number 4 - Joooooooobe Watsooooooonnnnnnnnnnn"