Commentators

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Re: Commentators

Post by azza78 »

I remember thinking the other day how much I missed the commentary of Lou Richards, Bobby Davis and co from the 80's. Then I watched the DVDs of the '84 and '85 grand finals and found myself reaching for the mute button. Was fkng terrible IMO.

Of the current crop, Cometti is still the King but lately seems to be trying too hard to be funny. Huddo is good as long as u don't have to look at his face/head. Bruce used to be 'special' but without Lockett or Ablett to go batshit over he just isn't the same (I used to love how Bruce would scream "Pluggaaaaa!!" and nearly cream his pants whenever the big fella got the pill. Classic).

Of the special comments guys, Blighty is great and absolutely cracks me up. Had the pleasure of sharing a few beers with malcolm (his daughter isgood mates with a friend of mine) and some of his footy stories are piss-funny. Buckley is good but I find his voice somewhat annoying. Haven't heard Hirdy socan't comment (but he's Hirdy so I'm sure he's great). REally liked Wayne Carey when he did it a few seasons back, before he went fkng mental and no network would touch him.
Splodge
Top Up Player

Post by Splodge »

Rely on Radio commentary over the net & limited TV highlights so can't really comment on TV commentators.

For me Rex Hunt on 3aw and Drew Morphett on ABC actually sound like they enjoy what they are doing and not like some clone of an American TV Sports commentator that those on SEN and MMM do.

Whether MMM will try and change Rex's style time will tell but I sincerely hope not.
Carlton Football Club - Surely a contradiction in terms?
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

The rest is just noise
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

f*** footy is there any decent commentary in any sport?
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

bomberdonnie wrote:f*** footy is there any decent commentary in any sport?
NFL Donnie. They call the game and nothing else and leave all the rationalizing mumbo jumbo for the half time break.... Otherwise darts? Pogo stick ping pong?..

:wink:
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Richie Benaud.

That's about it though.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

There has been an emphasis on phony hysteria by many callers which is driven by their producers as it is certainly not spontaneous. Christo springs to mind.

Dennis, BT and Tim Lane are good, although Lane is falling into the old Peter McKenna syndrome of constantly questioning umpiring decisons which is as boring as hell. Blighty and Buckely are very good at special comments, and as for the rest, turn down the volume.

By far the worst I have ever heard were SOS and Dougie Hawkins who were basically illiterate. I also put Jakovich into this category of being a total moron. There is nothing in the great scheme of things that suggest that great players will become great commentators and these three bear testament to this. Someone must have written a great book of cliches and distributed it to budding commentators as they all regurgitated the same shite.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Doctor Fish wrote:
NFL Donnie. They call the game and nothing else and leave all the rationalizing mumbo jumbo for the half time break.... Otherwise darts? Pogo stick ping pong?..

:wink:
Watch Darts on fox sport one day Doc, you'll find yourself getting genuinely excited by the contest purely because of the commentators.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Martin Tyler is gold
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Ossie wrote:
Richie Benaud.

That's about it though.
Yep i agree...

The tennis commentators (except for Geoff Masters) are annoying me already and there is still 3 weeks of tennis to go. :P
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Being WESSSSSTTTERRRRNN AUSTRALIAN,we tend to Cop the WA angle on 6PR(AW's Sister Station).With BRAD HARDIE and SMOKEY DAWSON covering the Melbourne Based Games for Le WC and FD.Yeah,Pretty Good.

Langdon's OK.Be easy to STICK the Boot in,but I won't.Oh,except if ADRIAN BARICH and BASIL ZEMPILAS were asked to do the Radio.SPEW!Town Jesters those 2.

I stumbled over the HARRY BEITZEL interview on The Footy Show yesterday.I imagine Harry's Dearly Departed by now.Not sure if he got to join his Mate TOMMY LAHIFF upstairs after HARRY'S Naughtiness with the Soccer Pools.Being a DIE HARD TRADITIONALIST,you tend to reflect on the Commentators of Years gone by on the TRANNY(BIGGS) or THE WINNERS(GEOFF LEEK - Funny that,they're all Bombers).Or LOUIE THE LIP.He's not. :roll:

How's the GEELONG FLYER these days?Apart from Wanting to Hold the Cup as long as he could. :lol: Did you really KNICK all the Goodies as JACK DYER reckoned you did,Bob?Including the Frangers! :lol:
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Hmm what about our girl Kelly??? Isn't that the name of the female commentator????

Commentatorette?

As much as I soooo wanted her to be good, her voice gives me the friggen shits and she just needs to get a room with 'The Little Wizard' already.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Yeah, she's not much chop Megan. But, sayinng that, most of the the blokes are shit too, so was worth giving her a go. She's had her chance, surely she goes back to boundary riding... She had the "you go girl" thing happening with the female community, but that wore off after about 20 minutes. So if the chicks don't like her, she hasn't got much left. Maybe it's time she goes down the Paris Hilton path to increase her profile :wink:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

The first game Kelly Underwood called I tuned in after half time and had forgotten it was happening and was surprised at first.
Anyhoo, I reckon she is too nasal and my sister (16) walked in, heard a couple of seconds of her and goes: "If they were going to get a woman commentator, could they at least have got one that didn't sound so much like a bogan?"
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

IMO

Sam Lane is the worst.

Was pleasently suprised at Lloydy's stints as special comments person on the ABC - his reading of games was outstanding... will wait to see if he can step up this year.

I think my fave tho is the "mature" dude from WA on the ABC - biased, but great commentry.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Can i say that i HATE Gerard Whately from the abc.... i dont listen to him for the footy thank God but he totally ruined the Hopman Cup mixed doubles... his voice irritates me.... :evil:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Can i say that i HATE Gerard Whately from the abc.... i dont listen to him for the footy thank God but he totally ruined the Hopman Cup mixed doubles... his voice irritates me.... :evil:
Surely the biggest nerd on sports radio in Melbourne, just ahead of Matt Thompson from SEN.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Can i say that i HATE Gerard Whately from the abc.... i dont listen to him for the footy thank God but he totally ruined the Hopman Cup mixed doubles... his voice irritates me.... :evil:
Peter Wilkins ruined the Hopman Cup for me with his annoying OOOOs and AHHHHs and fake excitement voices. Grrr
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

j-mac31 wrote:The first game Kelly Underwood called I tuned in after half time and had forgotten it was happening and was surprised at first.
Anyhoo, I reckon she is too nasal and my sister (16) walked in, heard a couple of seconds of her and goes: "If they were going to get a woman commentator, could they at least have got one that didn't sound so much like a bogan?"
Oh heck yes. Bogan is the word. She seems to have the brainless banter down pat but I can't get past the voice. It isn't the fact it's female - doesn't fuss me - it's the actual voice that just gets up my arse.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Fair to say, if she looked like the J-Hawk (Jen Hawkins), I wouldn't be complaining as much.. nor would any other straight male =P~