Anyone for a quiz?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Re: Anyone for a quiz?

Post by robrulz5 »

Upon doing some research of the 1916 season Fiztroy won their first 2 games and had a draw in round 3 to be top of the ladder. They then lost 9 matches in a row before the finals...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robrulz5 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Protesting against the VFL because they were arseholes.

OK, need to ask a follow up question here. Did any other club drop out of the comp in those years?
It was a protest against the VFL.

A few clubs dropped out for a few years. In 1916 only 4 clubs played: Fitzroy, Collingwood, Richmond & Carlton. Fitzroy won the wooden spoon with only 2 wins and a draw for the season and then played in the 4 team finals series. In the finals they won 3 games in a row to win the Premiership!
Wow, what an exciting season that must have been :roll:

So did Fitzroy technically win the wooden spoon and the premiership in the one year? Wow, that's an interesting quiz question on its own!

Am I incorrect in saying that we pulled out in protest because the VFL were arseholes? I betchya I'm technically right :wink:
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robrulz5 wrote:Upon doing some research of the 1916 season Fiztroy won their first 2 games and had a draw in round 3 to be top of the ladder. They then lost 9 matches in a row before the finals...
[Insert "scratches head" emoticon] - so I take it these 4 teams played eachother 4 times during the "home & away" season? And then played another round robin during the finals to make it 5 times?
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

BenDoolan wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:Upon doing some research of the 1916 season Fiztroy won their first 2 games and had a draw in round 3 to be top of the ladder. They then lost 9 matches in a row before the finals...
[Insert "scratches head" emoticon] - so I take it these 4 teams played eachother 4 times during the "home & away" season? And then played another round robin during the finals to make it 5 times?
Correct about the home & away season but during the finals it was knockout. Fitzroy beat Collingwood and Carlton beat Richmond. The following week Fitzroy beat Carlton which was under the title "Preliminary Final." The same two sides played in the GF the following week :roll:. I'm assuming Carlton were granted another crack at Fitzroy because they finished on top of the ladder, a finals formula which had been previously used in the early 1900's.

As for the original question I'll give a clue. It was to do with a protest against the VFL as had already been stated, it was about money.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Was it about getting done for paying players. I think the VFL was amateur early on.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Had to cheat - and I found the answer. Essendon pulled out of the competition because the VFL refused to put all the gate takings towards the war effort. Like I said, we protested because the VFL were arseholes.... :lol:
Essendunny
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

On 17 February 1916, a meeting of Essendon players made the following resolution, stating that these were the only conditions under which they would play in 1916: "That all players play as amateurs. That all gate receipts and membership subscriptions be pooled and held in trust by the League and at the end of the season, be handed over to the Patriotic Funds." The Essendon committee said it would support the players, and would find the money to cover whatever expenses were necessary to keep the team on the field. The VFL refused to meet the players' demand. Consequently, Essendon did not compete in 1916. Essendon did not compete in 1917 either (because the VFL, once again, refused to accept the players' demands).
I'll claim it, even though I got it arse about. :)

Back when Geoffrey Edelsten was just flying in helicopters and not crashing them, he offered Sheedy a crazy amount of cash to move up and coach "his" Swans. Of course, as we all know, Sheedy knocked him back.

1. Who did Edelsten settle for as coach?
2. One of the reasons Sheedy used to knock back the job offer was the fact that.
"If I went to Sydney with three Essendon players and another six from other clubs, the integrity of the game would suffer. VFL football right now needs the stabilty"
Who were those 3 Essendon players, and which one of the three ended up making the move to Sydney.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

dom_105 wrote:
On 17 February 1916, a meeting of Essendon players made the following resolution, stating that these were the only conditions under which they would play in 1916: "That all players play as amateurs. That all gate receipts and membership subscriptions be pooled and held in trust by the League and at the end of the season, be handed over to the Patriotic Funds." The Essendon committee said it would support the players, and would find the money to cover whatever expenses were necessary to keep the team on the field. The VFL refused to meet the players' demand. Consequently, Essendon did not compete in 1916. Essendon did not compete in 1917 either (because the VFL, once again, refused to accept the players' demands).
I'll claim it, even though I got it arse about. :)

Back when Geoffrey Edelsten was just flying in helicopters and not crashing them, he offered Sheedy a crazy amount of cash to move up and coach "his" Swans. Of course, as we all know, Sheedy knocked him back.

1. Who did Edelsten settle for as coach?
2. One of the reasons Sheedy used to knock back the job offer was the fact that.
"If I went to Sydney with three Essendon players and another six from other clubs, the integrity of the game would suffer. VFL football right now needs the stabilty"
Who were those 3 Essendon players, and which one of the three ended up making the move to Sydney.
OK,

1. Tom Hafey - on Sheedy's recommendation to Edelsten IIRC
2. Definitely Simon Madden. Probably Merv Neagle - who decided to go. And the 3rd one escapes me.....was it Terry Daniher?
Essendunny
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

You are just a walking encyclopedia BD

First one was certainly right.
Hafey looks as good now as he did back then, I guess running 5k's a day helps.

Right on the first two counts with the second. The third, well, he was recruited from the Wimmera and won the ressies B&F in his first season.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Hmmm.......Roger Merrett? Regarded as the most valuable big man in the game in 1985.....
Essendunny
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

BenDoolan wrote:Hmmm.......Roger Merrett? Regarded as the most valuable big man in the game in 1985.....
Not Merrett, but he was in high demand also. I think it cost the Bears $250,000 to get his clearance.

Ok, the bloke in question, he won a seniors B&F as well. I'd be interested to know how often that double has been achieved (something tells me Hird won the ressies B&F in '92)
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Glenn Hawker?
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

dom_105 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Hmmm.......Roger Merrett? Regarded as the most valuable big man in the game in 1985.....
Not Merrett, but he was in high demand also. I think it cost the Bears $250,000 to get his clearance.

Ok, the bloke in question, he won a seniors B&F as well. I'd be interested to know how often that double has been achieved (something tells me Hird won the ressies B&F in '92)
As far as I know, Joe Misiti won the Reserves B&F in 1992 - aged 17. Now Neale Daniher won a senior B&F in 1981 and then won a Reserves B&F in 1990. And Damien Hardwick won a Reserves (1993) and Seniors B&F (1998). I think Neville Fields also won the "double" at the club - but I'm not sure which years...
Essendunny
GoalSneak
Top Up Player

Post by GoalSneak »

Neville Fields won the 2's Best & Fairest in 1971 and took out the seniors award the following year.