Your Round One Team?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: Your Round One Team?

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Pretty good team but i doubt that Hardingham will play over Zaka and Reimers.

B- Slattery Pears Fletcher
HB- Demps Hooker Dyson
C- Welsh Stanton Winderlich
HF- Davey Gumbleton Zaharakis
F- Gus Ryder Williams
R- Hille Watto Prismall

I- Howlett, Hocking, Reimers, Laycock

Emergencies- Lonergan, Daniher, Houli

I hope i didint miss anyone important.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Pretty good team but i doubt that Hardingham will play over Zaka and Reimers.

HB- Demps Hooker Dyson
F- Gus Ryder Williams
R- Hille Watto Prismall

That's a great looking team, Mrs M. if we had Hurls, NLM and Spike, what changes would you make??.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

B: Slattery Pears Fletcher
HB Dempsey Hooker Welsh
C: Dyson Stanton Winderlich
HF: Davey Gumbleton Reimers
FF: Monfries Neagle Williams

R: Ryder Watson Prismall

I: Hille Lonergan Hocking Zaharakis

I would possibly change Neagle for Laycock.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Pretty good team but i doubt that Hardingham will play over Zaka and Reimers.

HB- Demps Hooker Dyson
F- Gus Ryder Williams
R- Hille Watto Prismall

Good team, although I am not too sure we'll play Hille, Ryder and Laycock in the same side. Perhaps we will whilst Hurley is out suspended.

Could we see Gumby play up on a wing? from what I hear(havent had the chance to see him preseason) he has a fair motor.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

B - Slattery Pears Fletch
HB - Dempsey Hooker Dyson
C - Prismall Watson Winderlich
HF- Zaharakis Gumby Davey
F - Monfries Neagle Williams
R - Ryder Stanton Welsh

I - Hille Reimers Lonergan Hocking

E - Laycock Houli Howlett Daniher

Getting hard to fit everyone in. I think Howlett may get a game based on pre season form. Reimers showed a bit when moved to HBF in the Morwell game. Hasn't had the best pre-season, but is still a classy player. Lonergan is similar, hasn't been fantastic over the pre-season, but need players to help Jobe with clearance work. He is also big strong body.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

little_ripper wrote:

HB- Demps Hooker Dyson
F- Gus Ryder Williams
R- Hille Watto Prismall

Good team, although I am not too sure we'll play Hille, Ryder and Laycock in the same side. Perhaps we will whilst Hurley is out suspended.

Could we see Gumby play up on a wing? from what I hear(havent had the chance to see him preseason) he has a fair motor.

Don't see the problem in playing Hille, Ryder & Laycock in the same team. One in the ruck, one up forward, one on the bench. Perfect 3-way rotation. Hille is going to need a good chop out early in the season.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

B - Fletcher - Pears - Slattery
HB - Dempsey - Hooker - Houli
C - Stanton - Prismall - Dyson
HF - Reimers - Gumbleton - Monfries
F - Zaharakis - Neagle - M.Williams
R - Ryder - Winderlich - Watson
Int - Hille - Welsh - Hocking - Davey

Emg - Melksham - Lonergan - Howlett

An explanation of a few of the more contentious selections:

Houli - Has had an excellent pre-season and provides some run off half back. With the exception of Dempsey the other players we are playing back there are quite slow.

Slattery - Will be given a chance to play on the dangerous Steve Johnson. He's the best man for the job, especially as Johnson is underdone for pace at the moment.

Monfries - Underrated by many on this board. He's not a crumber and never will be but be provides a valuable option as a lead up half forward. Opposition coaches rate him highly.

Welsh - To come on and play as a tagger primarily. Its where he excelled in 2008 and its his best role going forward.

Neagle - Has been given a chance with the suspension of Hurley. Has three weeks to prove himself. If we choose not to play him for this three weeks then we will never know if he's any good as he will always be the 5th string forward, competing for space with Gumby, Williams, Hurley and Hille/Ryder. Needs to be given a chance before Hurley returns.
Last edited by Madden on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Staggy wrote:B - Fletcher - Pears - Slattery
HB - Dempsey - Hooker - Houli
C - Stanton - Prismall - Dyson
HF - Reimers - Gumbleton - Monfries
F - Zaharakis - Neagle - M.Williams
R - Ryder - Winderlich - Watson
Int - Hille - Welsh - Hocking - Davey

Emg - Davey - Lonergan - Howlett

An explanation of a few of the more contentious selections:

Houli - Has had an excellent pre-season and provides some run off half back. With the exception of Dempsey the other players we are playing back there are quite slow.

Slattery - Will be given a chance to play on the dangerous Steve Johnson. He's the best man for the job, especially as Johnson is underdone for pace at the moment.

Monfries - Underrated by many on this board. He's not a crumber and never will be but be provides a valuable option as a lead up half forward. Opposition coaches rate him highly.

Welsh - To come on and play as a tagger primarily. Its where he excelled in 2008 and its his best role going forward.

Neagle - Has been given a chance with the suspension of Hurley. Has three weeks to prove himself. If we choose not to play him for this three weeks then we will never know if he's any good as he will always be the 5th string forward, competing for space with Gumby, Williams, Hurley and Hille/Ryder. Needs to be given a chance before Hurley returns.
I think davey would still get the nod ahead of hmmm probably reimers from that lineup.
your right on neagle, IMO needs to be played with Hurley out.

Slattery is not a contentious pick neither is Welsh. Welsh is vice captain ffs and slattery, well imo one of the first picked every week. people that bag him have no idea.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I'd love Dempsey on the wing. We need some speed through the middle. I can still remember his half a game in the Hird/Sheedy farewell match. Brilliant.

Probably stay in the backline this week though, but Lovett-Murray or McVeigh can replace him when they get back. Unless Long is ready now.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Gimps wrote:
little_ripper wrote:

HB- Demps Hooker Dyson
F- Gus Ryder Williams
R- Hille Watto Prismall

Don't see the problem in playing Hille, Ryder & Laycock in the same team. One in the ruck, one up forward, one on the bench. Perfect 3-way rotation. Hille is going to need a good chop out early in the season.
i think its over kill. that spot on the bench is better served with an extra midfielder. how many sides in the comp regularly play with three ruck?

given our forward line/back line could stand fairly tall as it is.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

We do not need 3 ruckmen against Geelong. FFS they have Mark Blake and then Ottens (if he isn't injured?). Against Geelong - you will need 2-3 extra midfielders than usual based on the maturity of their bodies and the amount of rotations we will need against their gun midfielders (and half forward flankers who can also go into the midfield). Generally they don't play that tall around the ground - they tend to play on and keep the ball moving.

My team:

Slattery Pears Fletcher
Dempsey Hooker Welsh
Reimers Watson Winderlich
Monfries Gumbleton Davey
Williams Neagle Ryder

Ryder Stanton Prismall

Longergan Hocking Houli Dyson

Emerg: Zaharakis Howlett Laycock

If no suspensions - McVeigh for Davey, Hurley for Neagle and Lovett-Murray for Lonergan/Hocking.
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Not saying we need to play all of them in the ruck. I'd rather have any of Hille, Ryder or Laycock at full forward than Neagle. The perick has never been fit (even when injury free), he's had a $hit pre-season and just hasn't got it, yet. I'd rather have a tall down there, kick it high, Scarlett will struggle.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

You want to replace Neagle with the one guy on the entire list that's more unfit than him?
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Where will Howlett play?
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

From what Knights said Howlett is good with his head over the pill (i.e. contested footy) so I assume he will come off the pine rotating through the middle and potentially changing up forward.

Based on that I would see him taking either Lonergan or Hocking's position in my team selected above.
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

I'm really concerned about people who can't find a spot for Zaharakis in this game. This guy will end up as our next Mercuri and has the valuable ability to crumb and sneak goals in our forward 50.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

hillchaser wrote:I'm really concerned about people who can't find a spot for Zaharakis in this game. This guy will end up as our next Mercuri and has the valuable ability to crumb and sneak goals in our forward 50.
Zaka has been named on the bench alongside neagle,howlett and reimers.

very strong line up.

herE: http://www.essendonfc.com.au/matches/pr ... tion=teams