Still Lack Class

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Still Lack Class

Post by robbie67 »

We were ok tonight, not awful, but not great either. We dont have anyone that can change a game on their own the way Geelong do. Johnson and Ablett can do freakish things when required that kept them in the game. We missed easy shots or did stupid things when we could have put it out of reach. If Lloyd and Lucas play tonight, we probab;y win,but may be further from a flag, so you just have to put up with the performances of Gumby and Neagle for the greater long term good. ******* hell, those two better show some improvement though, because right now, they are a million miles away. Dempsey isnt much more than a plodder either, and should make way for McVeigh.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: Still Lack Class

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Yes Dempsey was ordinary tonight but he certainly isnt a plodder...

Class is definately what we lack... we dont have anyone the calibre of Selwood, Ablett, Bartel or Johnson that cn turn on 5-10mins of amazing football and completely turn the game around.

Watson tries but he needs some more helpers. I thought that Davey went through a period in the 2nd quarter where he was the game breaker but unfortunately he disappeared out of the game.

It will be great to have the grunt of McVeigh back next week!
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

robbie67 wrote:We were ok tonight, not awful, but not great either. We dont have anyone that can change a game on their own the way Geelong do. Johnson and Ablett can do freakish things when required that kept them in the game. We missed easy shots or did stupid things when we could have put it out of reach. If Lloyd and Lucas play tonight, we probab;y win,but may be further from a flag, so you just have to put up with the performances of Gumby and Neagle for the greater long term good. ******* hell, those two better show some improvement though, because right now, they are a million miles away. Dempsey isnt much more than a plodder either, and should make way for McVeigh.
I don't think Lloyd/Lucas would have made such a huge difference. Up forward I thought Williams was very good. Gumby played like a guy who hasn't played any football in 3 years.

Neagle...i dunno. IMO we stick with Jay and Scott for a month see how they go. Against lesser teams they will find plenty of the footy and hopefully some form.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

little_ripper wrote:
robbie67 wrote:We were ok tonight, not awful, but not great either. We dont have anyone that can change a game on their own the way Geelong do. Johnson and Ablett can do freakish things when required that kept them in the game. We missed easy shots or did stupid things when we could have put it out of reach. If Lloyd and Lucas play tonight, we probab;y win,but may be further from a flag, so you just have to put up with the performances of Gumby and Neagle for the greater long term good. ******* hell, those two better show some improvement though, because right now, they are a million miles away. Dempsey isnt much more than a plodder either, and should make way for McVeigh.
I don't think Lloyd/Lucas would have made such a huge difference. Up forward I thought Williams was very good. Gumby played like a guy who hasn't played any football in 3 years.

Neagle...i dunno. IMO we stick with Jay and Scott for a month see how they go. Against lesser teams they will find plenty of the footy and hopefully some form.
Hopefully starting with the Shockers next week at Etihad!!!! vingertje
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Silly mistakes, untidy hands and some poor disposal were our letdowns tonight.
auditor
High Draft Pick

Post by auditor »

I agree Robbie but I honestly think we will get there. We need to keep this group together!
It just fell out of the sky
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

We do lack class, but I think we have a few coming through who will become game breakers. Besides a guy like Hurley, I think Zaka and Reimers will become our game breakers.

Let's not over-react. We played a team who have won 2 premierships over a three year period. They are seasoned and know how to win.

Gumby just needs to get games. Tough ask first up against the Cats. Hopefully he can have a better run at the ball next week to build some confidence.

Dempsey a plodder? Hardly.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Dempsey had a bad night tonight but still had 16 disposals - he has class written all over him and even the TV commentators agreed he could be an elite player
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Gumby needs more games to show whether he's our answer at CHF, and our forward setup is a work in progress. Not going to be too harsh on the team after the first game. Both sides were rusty with disposal. Mostly I was disappointed in our lack of killer instinct as per usual. Still get a bit too comfortable after a few goals up, and the turnovers and lack of pressure occur. On the positive side was the tackling efforts and clearance work for the first 3 qtrs. Zaka played well, and Reimers may get his mojo back. Still have Hurley and McVeigh to strengthen the side.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

half way through the third, there would not have been a single person from this forum not cheering. essendon looked very very good.

once our forward structure is right and we become a lot more efficent...look out.

to say the dons lacked class is a bit weak if you ask me.

wait til we play fremantle next week. going by tonights form, we will absolutley cream them.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Are you F****** kidding me? Dempsey tore them a new ar$ehole in the first half. Fair to say his 2nd half was average, but f***, give him a break... In a nutshell, BULL$HIT.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Gimps wrote:
Are you F****** kidding me? Dempsey tore them a new ar$ehole in the first half. Fair to say his 2nd half was average, but f***, give him a break... In a nutshell, BULL$HIT.
Now 10 possies, and giving your man so much space that he must have Aids, is "tearing a new arsehole". Moron.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Yes watching the game live Dempsey was our best player in the first half. His defensive efforts in marking contests where he would leave his man were sensational. Plenty of run too. Few skill errors but most did tonight. Very important player for us.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

robbie67 wrote:
Gimps wrote:
Now 10 possies, and giving your man so much space that he must have Aids, is "tearing a new arsehole". Moron.
If you think he isnt much more than a plodder, you obviously can't recognise talent. Tipping the instructions from the coaching staff didn't help when they told him to be attacking and to go and get the ball. Plenty worse on that ground tonight.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

[quote="Gimps"][/quote]

If he ever becomes more than a plodder, I'll gladly eat my words. Right now, he is just a plodder. You must be related to Dodoro with your talent recognising abilities.
5Alive
Top Up Player

Post by 5Alive »

3 quarters very happy last just farkin lazy.... whatch the replay and see how many were standing around not moving...

Geez bloody happy with the three though but three dont win games

Beer was great though :)
I bleed black with a red sash
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Dempsey looked good from where I was sitting. Even the Geelong mob around were saying so.
Essendunny
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

3/4 time I thought we were a show.
We had fitness on our side, and were playing a team that has had a less than perfect pre season.
However, Selwood stepped up, gaining early possessions that killed us off, and the cats showed what composure and class can do.
Disappointed we lost in a dismal Q4, but am looking forward to next week BIG TIME!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

We made alot of skill errors towards the end of quarters, I don't think it is a class issue but more of a conditioning issue which will take a few years to develop. When the game was open in the first half of quarters we ran Geelong ragged in the first 3 quarters. In the 2nd half of quarters Geelong made the game alot tighter, there were alot more stoppages and the cats gradually worked us over with their bigger, stronger bodies. Our players became fatigued mostly because of the in & under stuff. Players like McVeigh and Lovett-Murray back in the side will obviously help us in this area.

If we can keep the ball out in space and use our run the fitness wouldn't be an issue.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

robbie67 wrote:
Gimps wrote:
If he ever becomes more than a plodder, I'll gladly eat my words. Right now, he is just a plodder. You must be related to Dodoro with your talent recognising abilities.
Go to the game and have a look through your own eyes. Your as bad as a Melbourne supporter that never shows up.