Gumby

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Re: Gumby

Post by Crazyman »

gringo wrote:He was an unmitigated disaster tonight. But he got through unscathed. Give him two months in the seniors regardless of firm though. That's time to prove himself. Personally I reckon he'll come good.
Ok, where is gringo and what have you done with him?? hahahahaha

I personally agree that he should be given time to find his feet, but 2 months is a bit long for mine to keep persisting unless all our other forwards are out...
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Yes, was not good. In fact, was very ordinary.

Key forwards have a few ways they can beat their opponents in marking contests:
(1) be really quick off the mark and get space on the lead (Fevola is the best in the comp at this);
(2) be too tall and outmark them overhead (Franklin; Riewoldt);
(3) too strong such that you beat the defender in a wrestle (Brown; previously Tredrea);
(4) be super fit and just burn your defender off (Riewoldt, Brown again).

Gumby doesn't look to have the speed off the mark (i can't recall a single time where he put any space between himself and the defender), so option (1) looks unlikely; he's not strong (yet) so option (3) doesn't apply; and he's not fit enough yet for option (4) to apply. However, he is bloody tall so should be looking to outmark opponents overhead when possible. Last night he didn't show the strong hands that are required to pull in the overhead marks under pressure, even though he probably had 4-5 inches in reach advantage over Lonergan. Hopefully he develops this with practice and with the passage of time. Then, as he strings more games/seasons together, he can add options (4) and maybe (3) to his game.

In spite of what you may say about Gumbleton, he was less disappointing for mine than Neagle. Neagle has been inching his way towards my "time waster" category for a while now, and will be there soon unless things improve.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Contrary to what some individuals thought last night, I think Gumby deserves his chance and will rightly get it. I've had very similar injuries to him over the past 11 years, so of all people, I feel for him and know what he is going through. Only difference is, football was not how I made a living.

For those who say we should just leave him in for the first 10-12 rounds, I think that is ludicrous. He needs to improve, and if this doesn't happen within the first 4-5 weeks, he needs to go back to the 2's. Why should the team carry him? And why should someone else miss out that deserves a spot?

I've got my fingers crossed as much as anyone else out there, but we have to be realistic.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Gimps wrote:I've had very similar injuries to him over the past 11 years, so of all people, I feel for him and know what he is going through. Only difference is, football was not how I made a living.

Please tell us Gimps, how did this effect your ability to bend over and take it in the pooh pooh parlour. Did it have a major influence on the gimp you have become?
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

robbie67 wrote:
Gimps wrote:I've had very similar injuries to him over the past 11 years, so of all people, I feel for him and know what he is going through. Only difference is, football was not how I made a living.

Please tell us Gimps, how did this effect your ability to bend over and take it in the pooh pooh parlour. Did it have a major influence on the gimp you have become?
Nah, I like to do it standing up.. :wink:
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Gimps wrote:
robbie67 wrote:

Nah, I like to do it standing up.. :wink:
did you loose your legs from the knee down? hahaha sorry mate just had too
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Heather Mills stole his wooden peg. She is bringing me Paul Macartney's head on it.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Please tell us Gimps, how did this effect your ability to bend over and take it in the pooh pooh parlour. Did it have a major influence on the gimp you have become?[/quote]

Nah, I like to do it standing up.. :wink:[/quote]

did you loose your legs from the knee down? hahaha sorry mate just had too[/quote]

Nah, just gotta have the right technique, stand like a tripod =D>
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

What a shock to log on here and find this thread.

Yes, Gumby was terrible last night. Really terrible. It goes without saying that he hasn't played any games and probably has zero confidence. He will have some absolute howlers this year, even if he is going to become a good player eventually.

He must be played every game, good form or bad. We need to work out whether he is going to make it, and quick. Because if he isn't going to make it, then we need to recruit another forward, and fast. Otherwise we will come into our premiership window with a substandard forward line.

Will he make it? I don't think anyone can really answer that. Based on exposed form and his propensity to get injured, I'm thinking the odds are about 30-70.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Filthy wrote:PS Kicking action is shithouse though :(
True. But one ended in a goal and if Paddy had been hanging around for either we'd have mark of the year already. :wink:

Yes, he was shit. But give him some f****** time.

Knowing our luck if we'd drafted Selwood, he'd have had the long list of bad injuries and Gumbleton would be a triple premiership player.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Jesus, one bad game against the reigning premier and the world is coming to an end.
Wally
Top Up Player

Post by Wally »

dom_105 wrote:Jesus, one bad game against the reigning premier and the world is coming to an end.
No the world is not coming to an end. With all the hype and anticipation leading into Round 1 with our new forward structure in the wake of the departures, we were let down. Yes the delivery at times was poor going into the forward line, however come Round 1 you would like to think that there was at least 1 or 2 signs that point to some optimism for the immediate future that we can grab hold of and something that you can look back on and say - "Yes we do have something there".

Not sure we can say that about anything we say Friday night with Gumby and / or Neagle ?

Hopefully that was the game they needed to have to remind them of what it takes and how hard they both need to work and they start making amends against Freo next week.
Doctor Strangelove
Top Up Player

Post by Doctor Strangelove »

I am happy to be patient with Gumby BUT what has happened to his KICKING style? He seemed to throw the ball up in the air which caused it to go ballisticy straight up in air. I thought he was good kick? :oops:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Doctor Strangelove wrote:I am happy to be patient with Gumby BUT what has happened to his KICKING style? He seemed to throw the ball up in the air which caused it to go ballisticy straight up in air. I thought he was good kick? :oops:
Nerves - simple as that
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

[quote="jimmyc1985"

Key forwards have a few ways they can beat their opponents in marking contests:
(1) be really quick off the mark and get space on the lead (Fevola is the best in the comp at this);
(2) be too tall and outmark them overhead (Franklin; Riewoldt);
(3) too strong such that you beat the defender in a wrestle (Brown; previously Tredrea);
(4) be super fit and just burn your defender off (Riewoldt, Brown again).

[/quote]

Apparently number 4 is what he is meant to be.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

And as reported in the hun today. Gumby named again.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/k ... 5848250566
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Gumby wil be given every opportunity and so he should. We are not looking for a handy forward we are looking for a superstar. He has the attributes, he has the work ethic he just needs a little bit of luck.

6th game in with such a big build up I think it was inevitable that he would struggle. He may do so for couple of weeks untill he gets confidence. This year he should be aiming for consistancy, an average of 2 goals a game would be an excellent result.

IMO opinon just needs to snag a couple to get his tail up and he will begin to be effective.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Gumby, Neagle... both had rubbisg games. Neither of them are ready to be the key forwards... which makes me wonder what the hell was going on in Knights' head when he pushed Lloyd out the door. Irrespective, I just don't see how these boys are going to kick enough goals for us to improve on last year (which, for mine, is always the goal).

They both had pretty ordinary outings. I'm not convinced about the whole confidence thing either, to be honest, but that doesn't mean I'm calling for him to be dropped. I'm just hoping they both manage to find their feet, and do it sooner rather than later.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Boyler_Room wrote:Gumby, Neagle... both had rubbisg games.
They did what? :wink:
Boyler_Room wrote:which makes me wonder what the hell was going on in Knights' head when he pushed Lloyd out the door.
1. Lloyd was mostly crap last year.
2. He wasn't going to get any better this year.
3. He would not have been around for our next Grand Final.
4. Hurley.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

j-mac31 wrote:3. He would not have been around for our next Grand Final.
That player that will be probably still hasnt been born.

Gumby showed a lot of improvemwnt this week. About the only good sign on one of the bleakest days of what used to be a proud club.

If "THIS" is Essendon, the only thing I recognise is the guernsey.