No No No No No No No No No No No

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I thought we were promised a "big cleanout" "very active in trade week" etc. etc.?!

Whilst I don't necessarily think Bolton is THAT bad, we were led to believe that our plan over the next 2-3-4 years is to re-build with youngsters. In that case, it makes absolutely no sense to get rid of Cartledge, Jolley, Lee, Lucy etc whilst keeping Bolton.

Maybe I have misunderstood the whole thing. Maybe we aren't about "youth policy' at all.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

billyduckworth wrote:I thought we were promised a "big cleanout" "very active in trade week" etc. etc.?!

Whilst I don't necessarily think Bolton is THAT bad, we were led to believe that our plan over the next 2-3-4 years is to re-build with youngsters. In that case, it makes absolutely no sense to get rid of Cartledge, Jolley, Lee, Lucy etc whilst keeping Bolton.

Maybe I have misunderstood the whole thing. Maybe we aren't about "youth policy' at all.
Billy I think we still have about the 3rd or 4th youngest list in the AFL :wink:
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Jolley goes. Bolton Stays. Ridiculous.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

This is how I see this mess playing out...and it only gets worse.

1) Bolton signs on for one more year

2) Lee gets delisted

3) Jason Cloke is recruited in the PSD

And Sheedy has another discard to call his own (before sacking them after only a year!!)

Its the same cyce it has always been. In more than 25 years it has never changed.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

bueller wrote:Does anyone actually know if Lee can play? To be honest, after two years he still has a huge question mark against his name having played some senior games this year and getting less than 5 possessions in all of them.

Potentials a wonderful thing but if there has been no signs onfield since he was drafted then that may say something. I know he's had OP so that hasn't helped either.

The more i think about it the more i lean towards him being axed.
I know he can play. Seen him play very well in the VFL and for three quaters against the Kangaroos, played very well in defence (apart from a few pushes from Rocca, but no-one could push back on him!). Sat on his arse the rest of the time. Having said that - if you question Lee's ability, why not question Bradley, who has actually been given good game time and been belted. You can only see how good a player is when they are given game time.

Another point is this. I don't think anyone expects Lee/Hansen/Gumbleton to shut down Brown/Tredrea/Pavlich/etc. next year, but these are players that could very concievably DEVELOP into good CHBs. Didn't Fletcher start out being towelled up often? If you play them for three quaters and then say "f*** it, hes no good" you won't actually know.

I Lee goes with Bolton staying, I will be so pissed off, I might just forget about AFL until Sheedy goes.

This delisting period is fast becoming a catastophuck.
Last edited by j-mac31 on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tamworth Bomber
Top Up Player

Post by Tamworth Bomber »

Bolton has never been a favourite of mine but whenever he wears the red & black I will support him. That goes for a few other players also.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

I thought we were an elite sporting organisation - but it seems we are as mediocre and amateur as anybody.

Nonetheless - if he is a Bomber - he is a Bomber - and hopefully, HOPEFULLY, he shows something that justifies his place on the list.
Rusty1978
Top Up Player

Post by Rusty1978 »

I wonder what we will be saying, (when Sheeds finishes at the end of 2007) about these poor blokes that are apparently "Sheedy's Lovechildren"???
Any money whoever the new coach will be, will get rid of these players/liabilities and concentrate on people who can play!
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

ealesy wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:
Rama, Nash, Lee and Johns... Lee would have to be the one that gets delisted along with Rama.
You have to be f****** kidding right.

Bolton had a good year and Lee should be delisted??!!!

Okay let's look at some simple facts.

1. Andrew Lee is a genuine key position prospect.
2. He is only 20 years of age
3. Key position players don't usually start hitting their straps until around 22
4. Lee is a year behind in his development because he missed all of the 2005 season with OP. Realistically 2006 was his first season.
5. The club is desparate need of key position players.

In summary it would make absolutely no sense for the club to delist Andrew Lee after only two years on the list, particularly when he's only had his body right for one of those years.

And we don't simply have to delist a player who isn't contracted, we can delist anyone on the list as long as we pay out their contract!!
Hey mate, out of the players out of contract i suggested that Lee would get the chop, would u really think the club will axe players like Johns, Nash and Bradley??

Bolts is a Bomber for 2007 and people need to get over it, Lee hasn't shown anything yet.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
ealesy wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:
Rama, Nash, Lee and Johns... Lee would have to be the one that gets delisted along with Rama.

3. Key position players don't usually start hitting their straps until around 22
4. Lee is a year behind in his development because he missed all of the 2005 season with OP. Realistically 2006 was his first season.

In summary it would make absolutely no sense for the club to delist Andrew Lee after only two years on the list, particularly when he's only had his body right for one of those years.

And we don't simply have to delist a player who isn't contracted, we can delist anyone on the list as long as we pay out their contract!!
Hey mate, out of the players out of contract i suggested that Lee would get the chop, would u really think the club will axe players like Johns, Nash and Bradley??

Bolts is a Bomber for 2007 and people need to get over it, Lee hasn't shown anything yet.
Lee hasn't had the chance to show anything. Bradley has shown very little himself. Johns has done almost bugger all and Nash has only played a handful of games.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Yes Lee hasn't been in ther seniors much but he really has no excuse... this year of all years with the injuries and poor form Lee should have made a statement and tried to get a permanent place in the senior lineup, he wasn't able to do that as he played the majority of the year for Bendigo.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Blame the match committee, not Lee.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
ealesy wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:

I wouldn't get rid of any of those players, Lee included.

Sheeds has made a mistake by re-signing Bolts because it knows means we must/should delist a player who is under contract next year.

I'm looking at one of Cole, Campo or Heffernan.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Yes Lee hasn't been in ther seniors much but he really has no excuse... this year of all years with the injuries and poor form Lee should have made a statement and tried to get a permanent place in the senior lineup, he wasn't able to do that as he played the majority of the year for Bendigo.
You are a fool of the highest kind. Seriously how can you seriously back up the possible delisting of Lee who is an unknown that could become anything and then be contempt keeping Bolton who we all know will never be a premiership player. I'm sure you want the team to move forward as all supporters do and Lee is alot closer to helping us do this than Bolton is. If Lee goes and Bolton stays I'll go through the roof.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Lee can potentially fill the hoe at CHB, the clubs biggest deficiency. Bolton cant. Even when Lee got a senior game he hardly got any game time at CHB. Thats no way to find out whether hes up to it or not.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Crowny wrote:Lee can potentially fill the hoe at CHB, the clubs biggest deficiency. Bolton cant. Even when Lee got a senior game he hardly got any game time at CHB. Thats no way to find out whether hes up to it or not.
Lee has shown very little at CHB for Bendigo. Esendon were pretty good at promoting young players this year I thought. Lee's form simply wasn't good enough to warrant a place in the firsts. He's got only himself to blame for being cut.

We have a huge number of young players on our list at the moment who are trying to cement a regular spot. There is a limit to how many young players you can play in the firsts at once.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

gringo wrote:
Crowny wrote:Lee can potentially fill the hoe at CHB, the clubs biggest deficiency. Bolton cant. Even when Lee got a senior game he hardly got any game time at CHB. Thats no way to find out whether hes up to it or not.
Lee has shown very little at CHB for Bendigo. Esendon were pretty good at promoting young players this year I thought. Lee's form simply wasn't good enough to warrant a place in the firsts. He's got only himself to blame for being cut.

We have a huge number of young players on our list at the moment who are trying to cement a regular spot. There is a limit to how many young players you can play in the firsts at once.
I find myself agreeing with Gringo for probably the first time ever.

Not sure how Lee went at bendigo and therefore done know what his potental is, but several times last season there were plenty of senior players who were practically asking to be dropped back (one of them actually did ask).

When guys like Solomon, Bolton, MJ, JJ play as bad as they were and guys like Lee still cant get promoted from bendigo then clearly the Kids form hasnt been good enough at bendigo. If that truly is the case then after two years on the list in a side that you wouldnt have to do much to get in to, it's just not good enough and his place has to be in question.

Like I said, I havn't seen enough of him but circumstances suggest he will be the one delisted so we can use our PSD pick IF a suitable player becomes available in the PSD.

If he is worth anything, then surely there will be another team out there ready and willing to pick him up. My guess is he will not get picked up because put simply, he may not be the prospect many of you appear to believe he is.

Bottom line is, in todays game with lists of just 38, your young players must be servicable early on in thier careers of their AFL careers will be short lived.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

gringo wrote:

Is this the first sign of a positive comment from you Gringo?

If it is then well done, and I agree with a lot of what you're saying here but I still agree with the others who think that Lee is a better prospect on the list than Bolton.

Maybe they'll pay him out and get him off the list that way...we can only hope.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

gringo wrote:

Gringo is right, I watched Lee play this year at CHB for the bombers. He was barely up to scratch in the VFL yet people want him to step up into the AFL? At the moment Lee wont be a AFL CHB.
However I do personally believe that he should be given another season to prove himself. But those promoting him as the answer to our CHB at this moment in time are seriously mistaking.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Sol wrote:
gringo wrote:

I find myself agreeing with Gringo for probably the first time ever.

Not sure how Lee went at bendigo and therefore done know what his potental is, but several times last season there were plenty of senior players who were practically asking to be dropped back (one of them actually did ask).

When guys like Solomon, Bolton, MJ, JJ play as bad as they were and guys like Lee still cant get promoted from bendigo then clearly the Kids form hasnt been good enough at bendigo. If that truly is the case then after two years on the list in a side that you wouldnt have to do much to get in to, it's just not good enough and his place has to be in question.

Like I said, I havn't seen enough of him but circumstances suggest he will be the one delisted so we can use our PSD pick IF a suitable player becomes available in the PSD.

If he is worth anything, then surely there will be another team out there ready and willing to pick him up. My guess is he will not get picked up because put simply, he may not be the prospect many of you appear to believe he is.

Bottom line is, in todays game with lists of just 38, your young players must be servicable early on in thier careers of their AFL careers will be short lived.
You guys are wrong. Lee looked very good at CHB for someone who was essentially a first year player. And Gringo, you say that Essendon was "pretty good at promoting young players this year" (Sol said something to similar effect). Bullshit. Sure, players deserved to be dropped. But they weren't not dropped because no-one good enough could replace them. It was becuase Sheedy didn't have the guts to drop them.

And when young players played, they sat on the bench. Sheedy has this reputation for being big on blooding yuongsters. Well in the past few years, that has been rubbish. Some kids get a game, others don't and plenty that do sit on the pine.