Too Soft

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Too Soft

Post by swoodley »

Broken tackle after broken tackle, four of them to two of us, little or no chasing, lack of second efforts...etc etc etc

What a f****** disgraceful effort :oops: :oops: :oops:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: Too Soft

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

and we are supposed to be one of the quickest sides out there.......... i dont think so...... :shock:

There is no passion in their play at the moment.... no one willing to hit the packs hard and take the Pies on.... very disappointing.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

It has nothing to do with passion. We have no ******* talent.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

robbie67 wrote:It has nothing to do with passion. We have no ******* talent.
I agree. I reckon our endeavour is okay, but our skill level and decision making lets us down every time.
Can't hit the target and/or choose the wrong target.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

billyduckworth wrote:
robbie67 wrote:It has nothing to do with passion. We have no ******* talent.
I agree. I reckon our endeavour is okay, but our skill level and decision making lets us down every time.
Can't hit the target and/or choose the wrong target.
Bullshit...our endeavour has been pathetic today...our second efforts, tackling and chasing have been deplorable.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

I agree we were soft, but I would be happy with just stopping this ridiculous handballing around in circles...in our defensive 50 no less, which is certain to lead to a turnover and goal.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

About soft - refer to the Knights thread!!!
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

We seem to be lacking that tough nut player that will burst open a pack and lay the monster tackle... someone like a Mark Johnson or Dean Soloman in their prime.

Hocking and Natrat try hard in that area but its not enough.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:We seem to be lacking that tough nut player that will burst open a pack and lay the monster tackle... someone like a Mark Johnson or Dean Soloman in their prime.

We lack footballers. We dont have anyone on our list at the moment who has as much class as Dean Rioli, let alone Cyril.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:We seem to be lacking that tough nut player that will burst open a pack and lay the monster tackle... someone like a Mark Johnson or Dean Soloman in their prime.

Although that type of player might be useful Mrs M, every damn player on the list should be able to lay a tackle that sticks (apart from Colyer and Melksham today) but too often they are brushed aside like feathers. Stanton has been on the list for 6-7 years and still struggles to lay a tackle when it counts (and he is not on his own)
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

swoodley wrote:

Although that type of player might be useful Mrs M, every damn player on the list should be able to lay a tackle that sticks (apart from Colyer and Melksham today) but too often they are brushed aside like feathers. Stanton has been on the list for 6-7 years and still struggles to lay a tackle when it counts (and he is not on his own)
Yes i did notice that today...no one was able to stick the tackle on the Coll player. That does come with a young team though, they just arent strong enough at the moment.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

It became very obvious to me today - we are not fit. Nowhere near strong enough or durable enough for the rigours of AFL football.

I know Stanton has been out but he was spent early in the last quarter. The rest of our mid-field wasn't much better.

The reason we dont break tackles, or make our tackles land, or clear space for each other, or sheperd, or create options up the ground, or keep possession of the ball the ball is because we are just not physically up to it. We do not have the tanks to get through 4 quarters of football.

Luckily we have not endured too many serious or long-term injuries this year. If we had (or do) I honestly can't see us beating another team in the comp.

We are soft because we're not fit and strong enough and we lack skill for the same reason.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

They are soft but not being able to hit a target from 30 metres away is just not good enough.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I agree with everything that has been said in here - and I haven't even read it. Having an absolute shit weekend and this has just made it worse.

I am officially off our club at the moment - the entire playing list and the entire coaching staff. That was the worst performance I have seen live (and I have sat through every minute of a 160 point assassination in the hands of Hawthorn in 1992), by an Essendon outfit. I'm not sure how many handballs we had today, but every single ******* one of them was to our DISADVANTAGE.

Idiotic, inspid, gutless football today Bombers. NO-ONE wants to take responsibilty to KICK the ball anymore "here you have it", "no, you have it", "no, I don't want it, you have it", "but I don't want to kick it, you have it", "don't give it to me, why do I want it??" and so on and so ******* on.

Piss off Bombers, grow some ******* balls and look like a footy team for a change. Arseholes.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:
Idiotic, inspid, gutless football today Bombers. NO-ONE wants to take responsibilty to KICK the ball anymore "here you have it", "no, you have it", "no, I don't want it, you have it", "but I don't want to kick it, you have it", "don't give it to me, why do I want it??" and so on and so ******* on.

Piss off Bombers, grow some ******* balls and look like a footy team for a change. Arseholes.
I will forward your concerns to one M Knights. I hate to say it, but he has got it wrong and the players are suffering.

There is no way our list is this bad - no way. Guys that can play, are just not performing with any effect or consistency. The game plan has ruined the careers of several former leading lights. For god sake what has happened to McVeigh, Winderlich, Welsh, Ryder, Prismal, Davey etc. Guys that can all play the game have become shadows of their former selves.

If that is not a coaching issue, then what is?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

I will forward your concerns to one M Knights. I hate to say it, but he has got it wrong and the players are suffering.

There is no way our list is this bad - no way. Guys that can play, are just not performing with any effect or consistency. The game plan has ruined the careers of several former leading lights. For god sake what has happened to McVeigh, Winderlich, Welsh, Ryder, Prismal, Davey etc. Guys that can all play the game have become shadows of their former selves.

If that is not a coaching issue, then what is?
It's everyone's issue, and everyone is being shit.

However, well done Mr Gumby, you put a smile or two on my face today. The rest can get farked.
Essendunny
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

BenDoolan wrote:I agree with everything that has been said in here - and I haven't even read it. Having an absolute shit weekend and this has just made it worse.

I am officially off our club at the moment - the entire playing list and the entire coaching staff. That was the worst performance I have seen live (and I have sat through every minute of a 160 point assassination in the hands of Hawthorn in 1992), by an Essendon outfit. I'm not sure how many handballs we had today, but every single ******* one of them was to our DISADVANTAGE.

Ben I was there at the G on that day in 1992 and I am convinced that we were no where near as bad as we were today.

I agree that was possibly the worst game I have seen a Bomber side put in. If that had been at Windy Hill there would have been booing and cans thrown like I am sure happened one day under Barry Davis or was it Des Tuddenham ?
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

MH_Bomber wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:I agree with everything that has been said in here - and I haven't even read it. Having an absolute shit weekend and this has just made it worse.

Ben I was there at the G on that day in 1992 and I am convinced that we were no where near as bad as we were today.

I agree that was possibly the worst game I have seen a Bomber side put in. If that had been at Windy Hill there would have been booing and cans thrown like I am sure happened one day under Barry Davis or was it Des Tuddenham ?
So we're going to win the premiership next year. All good.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

MH_Bomber wrote:

Yep it was Barry Davis. I actually said to my mate that I thought Knights was going to be in trouble when he comes out at quarter time...
Essendunny
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Thinking too far ahead. The problem isn't that we can't tackle, and it's not that we have a young side. The problem has been identified many times in many different threads... including this one. This handball rubbish around in circles is a disgrace. It's killing our club and killing our game. The game is called FOOTball! Think about it, people.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant