Who would you want as coach?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
brad
Top Up Player

Who would you want as coach?

Post by brad »

If the losses continue to mount AND the EFC decide to pay out Matthew Knights (not sure they would) who would you want as a replacement coach?

Only one I could imagine coming to club would be Mark Williams from Port.

He's an experienced coach (Premiership coach at that), familiar with our club having worked as an assistant under Sheeds and I'm sure would have a good rapport with our Indigenous players.

Any other suggestions?
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Re: Who would you want as coach?

Post by s'dreams »

Keep Knights to end of 2010 at least . Not a good look for the public or the team to chop and change at this stage.

If no improvement - look to best available that fits with the list potential and the club.

Would be more interested at the moment in replacing or reassigning some of the assistant coaches.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

id love Lethal to come aboard, Mark Williams would be next on the list

Lethal has written quite a lot about us lately, mainly coaching aspects too, and what he see's is the problem. does he secretly want the job?
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

I think me and R67 could become the AFL's first co-coaches... couldn't do much worse.

Filthy and his henchmen can head up "recruiting", Jimmy can help us avoid any salary cap issues, Keri, meggles and MH can improve "morale" for the players
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Someone who is not so stubborn that they won't shy away from their gameplan which is clearly not working.

Someone who has the guts to drop underperforming senior players, whether or not it includes a vice captain.

Someone who can get the best out of players who have the talent to become A graders.

Someone who will get the team playing for each other, and doing the 'team' things.

Someone who will do some type of research into the opposition.

These are some of the qualities our coach needs to have.

I am completely over knights at the moment. He is not getting the above done. I'll give him until the end of the year to prove me wrong.

I think Matthews was unlucky to lose his in Brissie. Was a transision period for them, with a number of new players coming into the team after many retirements. I wouldn't mind him. Obviously Bomber would be great, but he may never leave Geelong. Choco and Laidley are a couple of others.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

I would honestly rather keep Knights than get that ego maniac ****tard from Port Adelaide.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

1. Paul Roos
2. Mark Thompson
3. Mick Malthouse
4. Lino Cervar
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

John Coleman
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Akmal Saleh.

If were into the comedy routines like yesterday, you may as well get one of the funniest pricks in the business.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Unless Leigh Matthews has indicated that he will not coach again, I would be chasing him with everything at my disposal.

Name your price Lethal

Just a super football coach and the man to prepare this team for a less experienced coach in the future. And whilst we are at it, we should be sniffing out Denis Pagan for Bendigo to ensure we have the right man managing the younger players.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Windy_Hill wrote:Unless Leigh Matthews has indicated that he will not coach again, I would be chasing him with everything at my disposal.

Name your price Lethal

Just a super football coach and the man to prepare this team for a less experienced coach in the future. And whilst we are at it, we should be sniffing out Denis Pagan for Bendigo to ensure we have the right man managing the younger players.
Funny reading this.. I was at the top of the Olympic Stand having a beer at half time yesterday. Channel 7 have their panel up there before the game and at half time. The panelists have to walk thru the crowd to get back to the box. I was standing near the stairs, and there werent many other people around. Bruce walked past. Then Brad Johnson, and Tom Harley. Then, I see Lethal coming towards me. Instinctively, I opened my mouth and said "Hey Leigh, there's a job going at Essendon if you want it..". He just smirked.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gimps wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Unless Leigh Matthews has indicated that he will not coach again, I would be chasing him with everything at my disposal.

Name your price Lethal

Funny reading this.. I was at the top of the Olympic Stand having a beer at half time yesterday. Channel 7 have their panel up there before the game and at half time. The panelists have to walk thru the crowd to get back to the box. I was standing near the stairs, and there werent many other people around. Bruce walked past. Then Brad Johnson, and Tom Harley. Then, I see Lethal coming towards me. Instinctively, I opened my mouth and said "Hey Leigh, there's a job going at Essendon if you want it..". He just smirked.
You should've opened your cheque book Gimpo - or written him a poem - damn I would get excited if I read this in tomorrow's Heral Sun

Bomber Coup - Matthews Ousts Matthew
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Gimps wrote:

Name your price Lethal

Were you wearing your face mask?
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Leigh Matthews would be fantastic to have as a coach. He has been so successful at building teams to win premierships.
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

I'd love to back Matthews in. I remember early last decade, who was the better coach: Sheeds or Matthews? Most of us said Sheeds.
If Matthews comes to Bomberland and snags a flag. He will go down as the Ron Barassi of the modern era.

I see many similarities to him heading to Brisbane back in the 90's and where he's at now contemplating Essendon if we are willing.
I firmly believe he would really consider the chance.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

bpdons wrote:I'd love to back Matthews in. I remember early last decade, who was the better coach: Sheeds or Matthews? Most of us said Sheeds.
If Matthews comes to Bomberland and snags a flag. He will go down as the Ron Barassi of the modern era.

I see many similarities to him heading to Brisbane back in the 90's and where he's at now contemplating Essendon if we are willing.
I firmly believe he would really consider the chance.
Then call him, offer to wash his car, do whatever you have to do - but lets get Lethal
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Matthews is paaaaaaaaaaaaast it. Brisbane saw it and fkd him off. Now look at Brisbane.....

Yabby Jeans goes alright.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:Matthews is paaaaaaaaaaaaast it. Brisbane saw it and fkd him off. Now look at Brisbane.....

WTF?? He has coached more Premierships in the last 10 years than any other man on the planet and you reckon he's past it???

Brisbane's decline was purely due to

1) Lack of motivation after 4 GFs/3 Flags
2) Retirement/Departure of numerous champion players
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Remember also that the list Michael Voss had last year that he used to get them back into the finals was a list predominately put together by Leigh Matthews, the only bloke that played a significant role last year that Matthews was at least partially responsible for was Daniel Rich.

Really for all the talk about Brown & Fevola, their output has really been anymore significant than Bradshaw and Brown were producing. In fact given Bradshaws form at Sydney, I would almost argue that they would currently be better off with Bradshaw than Fev, afterall they would have already missed out on several Fev special PR disasters (Binglegate, Bookiegate, I'm-Brendon-Fevola-And-I'm-Just-Generally-A-Massive-f***-Up-gate"
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Matthews is paaaaaaaaaaaaast it. Brisbane saw it and fkd him off. Now look at Brisbane.....

WTF?? He has coached more Premierships in the last 10 years than any other man on the planet and you reckon he's past it???

Brisbane's decline was purely due to

1) Lack of motivation after 4 GFs/3 Flags
2) Retirement/Departure of numerous champion players
Could have sworn you (and many others) said the "system" delivered Brisbane 3 flags in a row. Now it's Lethal.

It's a funny thing listening to a Lion supporting mate saying Lethal was past his due dy date - 2 years before it happened.
Essendunny