Jobe

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Jobe

Post by pevfan »

I'm not normally one to criticise our players and I can probably be accused of stating the bleedin obvious here but so help me, it's simply got to be said.... I don't reckon Jobe Watson could run out of sight on a dark night.

Sure he gets the ball a lot still seems reluctant to kick it (sadly not Robinson Crusoe in that regard though) and his handpasses don't seem to create anything....(then again does anyones in that side at present?)

Fair dinkum, I used to think Joe Misiti was slow but Jobe would make Joey look like Usain Bolt by comparison. It's got me tossed, what happened to the gene pool here. Timmy had pace to burn especially for the 6' 1" 15 stone plus dynamo that he was. I hate to say it but if, as Knights says, Jobe is our only elite player then we are indeed in deep, deep S***t.
gringo
Club Captain

Re: Jobe

Post by gringo »

pevfan wrote:I'm not normally one to criticise our players and I can probably be accused of stating the bleedin obvious here but so help me, it's simply got to be said.... I don't reckon Jobe Watson could run out of sight on a dark night.

Sure he gets the ball a lot still seems reluctant to kick it (sadly not Robinson Crusoe in that regard though) and his handpasses don't seem to create anything....(then again does anyones in that side at present?)

Fair dinkum, I used to think Joe Misiti was slow but Jobe would make Joey look like Usain Bolt by comparison. It's got me tossed, what happened to the gene pool here. Timmy had pace to burn especially for the 6' 1" 15 stone plus dynamo that he was. I hate to say it but if, as Knights says, Jobe is our only elite player then we are indeed in deep, deep S***t.
There's no doubt we've got a disgraceful list.

But you stick any extracator of the ball in our midfield and they'll look shit. Jobe was able to set up Lovett last year with his handball, and to a lesser degree Winderlich, Dyson and Dempsey. Lovett is gone, Winder and Dysn are out of form, and Demspey isn't being played of a back flank as much.

He's a good player is Jobe, but he needs quick skillful midfielders around him.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Jobe would be the last player you'd be pointing the finger at. The bloke is simply carrying the side in the midfield. He has a great pair of hands and is generally excellent with a constructive handball. His foot skills has improved heaps over the years, even though he kicks less than he handballs.

Yes, he's slow. So what. Diesel Williams was a slug. But a damaging footballer when he had the pill. Misiti (as you've mentioned), was never a "runner" or a "chaser". He was excellent with the handball and a damn good kick. No point comparing him to his old man. That is a futile excercise. But Jobe has earned the captaincy for his sheer hard work at getting the best out of himself, and IMO, is one of the best extractors of the ball at stoppages in the comp.

As gringo said, he needs good running / creative / skillful players around him - of which we have 3/5ths of f*** all.
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

And in more modern terms BD, Bartel and Kirk are slow but seem to go alright.

As we have seen first hand, PACE IS OVER-RATED!!!!!!!!!! Need to get the footy first, then have the unique ability to hit a target. When you can do those two things, then pace is damaging.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

holy hell now we're sticking the boot into Jobe? :roll:
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Think you might have hit the nail BD. Lack of good runners around him certainly aint helping. We seem to have fallen off appallingly in that area this season which probably explains why Jobe seems so ineffectual.

I know there are other class midfielders who are not exactly blessed with pace... Mitchell and Black are two others that come to mind but they get away with it (though not so sure that the Hawks are at pres... but then they do have a less than 2 year old cup in their trophy room) because they have better, far better, support staff around them....But Gees, looking at him last Sunday Jobe seemed even slower than normal. Maybe that's just more of an indication of how crap we are going ATM though.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Maybe he is suffering from carrying the midfield all year much like Jason Johnson did for quite a while. JJ burned out eventually so lets hope this doesn't happen to Jobe.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Jobe Watson is solid gold.

Our best player by a country mile at the moment. He is surrounded by Muppets and as such his style of play is not being exploited.

Gary Ablett would look just ok playing in our midfield.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I am convinced Jobe is actually carrying an injury.

He has never been lightning quick but I reckon he looks slow even for him of late.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

MH_Bomber wrote:I am convinced Jobe is actually carrying an injury.

He has never been lightning quick but I reckon he looks slow even for him of late.
He is carrying an injury, it's called the Essendon midfield.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Rossoneri wrote:
MH_Bomber wrote:I am convinced Jobe is actually carrying an injury.

He is carrying an injury, it's called the Essendon midfield.
:lol: =D>

The pace and skill of our guys last year definately made him look a lot better. The kid cant be expected to carry our midfield by himself.